12 [14.46%]
3 [3.61%]
2 [2.41%]
18 [21.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 11:52
I voted Fly on the Windshield. To separate one song from this masterpiece is reduce the whole to mere pieces, though. The strength of the album is not in any one song but in how all the songs flow together and contribute to the story.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 13:13
^ I agree. For me the lp is a whole thing and possibly the only Genesis that actually reduces me to tears (for boring personal reasons..)when I listen to it and the live version on the Archives 4 cd set is particularly moving to me. If I have to pick a track it would have to be the Lamia but do really dig Lilywhite Lilith..

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 14:45
I’m surprised nyc isn’t winning. The crap songs usually win in here
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 22:15
So many great songs on this album.

The third side is my favourite. Lilith, Anyway, Anaesthetist, Lamia - so I chose 'other'.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 01:47
I haven't played this one in years. I'll have to give it a spin to remind myself before I vote

I went through a period as a student, decades ago, when I played it a lot, and I had a flat mate who loved it and used to knock on my door all the time asking to borrow it.

Don't think its as good as the best of Genesis though (SEBTP and Foxtrot)
Songs cast a light on you
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 02:25
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

"Fly" is constantly in my head.

Me too!!! lol

maybe we should go to group therapy Wink

Therapy = put the album on! I'm listening in the car on my commute this morning TongueWink

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 09:02
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

In the cage

Lamia is another favorite of mine Big smile

Same here Big smile
grasshopperman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grasshopperman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 05:07
I'm not allowed to vote but if I could it would be the beautiful 'Hairless Heart'. The chords take you to places you don't expect. It could just as easily have been called 'Tear at Your Heart', for me.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 21:54
Supernatural Anesthetist for me... always.  Big smile 
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:10
Slippermen > In the Cage > Lamb > Back in NYC > Fly = It > Carpet

Fly + Broadway Melody as a combo would rank higher

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - November 24 2018 at 19:14
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 13:11
Always viewed Fly on a Windshield and Broadway Melody of 1974 as one piece with the latter having the best vocals on the album. Voted "Other."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 07:42
None of the above! I like all the other songs on the album better than those (No disrespect, Fly and N.Y.C.)!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 07:52
It...just because I have just listened to the 3 sides live version with Bruford and the mighty segue into Watcher
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 22:31
Carpet 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 10:10
Voted other - cause The Lamia
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:01
The Carpet Crawlers
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:08
You're asking me to choose ONE song as my favorite from my favorite album of all-time?!!! Talk about "silent sorrow in the rapids!"

Simply impossible. I could go start to finish listening to each and every song proclaiming each one to be my favorite! Even/especially "The Waiting Room."
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:45
You know.. at very first I always tended to skip 'Back in NYC'.

Then at some point it was the favorite! LOL

Well all of these are certainly strong:

· 'Fly on a Windshield', very strong candidate (in my books..) though I play it by itself not that often. 

· 'In the Cage' with its quiet beginning, the synth parts, and that climax... whoa.. ! 'Outside the cage I see my brother John..'

· 'Carpet Crawlers'... ahh simply love it… 

· Also like 'It'

Nowadays I find myself more and more appreciating the #1 and title track… I think is very original, iconic, love Gabriel's singing, works by itself and I think of it as sort of the album's seal; also it brings me memories of those first few listens on cassette on hot summer trips in my dads car when barely knew what it was about.

So, voted 'Lamb..' 

And think of all those gems left out!

No, really a jewel of Progressive Rock.. one of my favorites and for me it must be on the top 5 along with Floyd's WYWH, DSOTM, Yes' CTTE, Jethro's TAAB, etc.

Edited by Machinemessiah - October 15 2019 at 09:44
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 07:00
I'll just take it from my review:

LEGENDARY: The Lamia

WINNERS: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, In the Cage, Back in N.Y.C., Counting Out Time, Carpet Crawlers, Lilywhite Lilith, Anyway, The Light Lies Down on Broadway, Riding the Scree, In the Rapids, It

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 23:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Carpet Crawlers

yep me too. I love the imagery in the lyrics and Gabriel's singing.

In The Cage is a tough one because in a way it was re-appropriated for the live shows and I love the segway they used to do into Slippermen before Afterglow. That is what I really want!

Back In NYC stands out as well and one of the most original prog tracks of the whole decade . Incredibly underrated imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>