Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: Starless and Bible Black

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson: Starless and Bible Black
    Posted: November 15 2018 at 07:53
I'm still floored that most of this was recorded live. I absolutely love this album.

Edited by SteveG - November 15 2018 at 07:53
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 07:56
A sign of true talent in action. I haven't heard this one in a while. Thanks for reminding me that i need to give it a spin again :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 08:01
I just recently started checking this one out (mostly You Tube clips). I haven't heard the whole album yet but I like a lot of what I have heard especially The Night Watch and Fracture. I think I need to put it on my Christmas wish list!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 08:54
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I just recently started checking this one out (mostly You Tube clips). I haven't heard the whole album yet but I like a lot of what I have heard especially The Night Watch and Fracture. I think I need to put it on my Christmas wish list!
An excellent gift to give to yourself! And merry x-mass!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 09:10
I love the whole trip/listening experience. The A-side is a little underrated imo - and for a long time by myself included. Starless/Fracture is cathartic, but they wouldn't have had the same effect had the rest of the album contained more of the same. 

Ok so I guess it would have been even more amazing had The Law Of Maximum Distress, Pt. 1 & 2 (included on my anniversary version) replaced We'll let You Know and The Mincer. But I'm not complaining.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 09:11
^I'm not certain I actually mean that last part as The Mincer is wonderful.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 09:17
I'm a bit on the fence with this album. I do like the live feel. Nightwatch is sublime and I love Fracture, but most of it is bettered by most tracks on the albums either side of it IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 09:34
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I love the whole trip/listening experience. The A-side is a little underrated imo - and for a long time by myself included. Starless/Fracture is cathartic, but they wouldn't have had the same effect had the rest of the album contained more of the same. 

Ok so I guess it would have been even more amazing had The Law Of Maximum Distress, Pt. 1 & 2 (included on my anniversary version) replaced We'll let You Know and The Mincer. But I'm not complaining.
I enjoy the Law of M.D. pt 1&2 too. The more KC the better!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 10:42
My 1st Crimson album and still my favorite studio album of the Wetton/Bruford era.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 11:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I enjoy the Law of M.D. pt 1&2 too. The more KC the better!
Yeah the more the better - that's the right approach
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 12:46
I love this album and it's such a close runner up for me next to Lark's Tongues that whenever I rave about Lark's I feel like I'm possibly giving this one short shrift. I'll go one step further and say that this album is really the quintessential King Crimson album. It is the only one that, at least in part, captures the brilliance of their live improvs. Most of the material from ITCOCK and Lark's Tongues was the product of free improvisation. The material was written on stage before the albums came out. However, when it came to codifying it for the albums, the improvisational quality leaked out of the bucket. Starless and Bible Black was able to preserve some of that, even if it was simply a matter of incorporating a few live recordings.

Edited by HackettFan - November 15 2018 at 12:47
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 16:06
I like it too......Fracture rulz!

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 16:29
It runs Lark's Tongue in Aspic very close in places, for me. The Night Watch is one of my favourite King Crimson tracks, with Fracture and Starless and Bible Black very good too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 19:19
The Amsterdam '73 concert on tomorrow night's playlist.

Poor neighbours...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 21:36
I have never gotten around to buying this one. Since it's suposed to be mostly recorded live anyway, in great part from the same performance from the live album "The Nightwatch" (which I already got), and between that album and "The Great Deceiver" set of concerts are already covered most of the songs (if not all of them) from Starless, well, I haven't gotten the urge to buy the studio one (besides, apart from Fracture, I don't really like those songs that ended up being used on the album.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 01:01
Not a very good album apart from night watchman
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 01:42
SABB is number 5 in my list of top KC albums (behind Red / Larks / ITCOTKC / Discipline)

Fantastic album. The opener Great Deceiver is incredible and Lament is one of my all time favourite tracks.

Love The Night Watch and Fracture is a classic KC track.

The other improv tracks are all good, but can take a bit of time to gel.

Superb album.
Songs cast a light on you
 Post Reply Post Reply