Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best/Worst of Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best/Worst of Frank Zappa
    Posted: November 15 2018 at 14:42
Frank Zappa has a huge disc-ography.  (careful how you read that)

List your most favorite and your least favorite.  Go ahead and put runners up too if you want.  Let's keep bootlegs and official bootlegs out of this one.

My most favorite is hard to decide, but I would have to say that all around is probably "Lather".  Close contenders are "The Grand Wazoo", "Hot Rats" and "Bongo Fury"

Least favorite is "Francesco Zappa".  It's so hard to sit through.  "Thing Fish" comes close though.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 19:40
Yes his discography is huge.  As such, I can't claim to be hugely familiar with all of it.  I'm pretty sure I've got a grip on the best, but  may not have heard the worst if it lies among his more obscure outings.

For me the Best are:
Apostrophe
Hot Rats
Sheik Yerbouti
Waka/Jawaka
We're only in it for the Money
The Grand Wazoo
One Size Fits All
Freak Out
(sorry... really hard to narrow down better than that.  All of those are classics)

Among what I know, least favorite would probably be:
Francesco Zappa or The Man from Utopia

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 20:25
My favorite remains Sheik Yerbouti. It strikes the perfect balance of tunesmithing and ferocity where playing is concerned. And the lyrics are Cheech & Chong-level hilarious. An all-around great time.

Least fave is probably Civilization Phaze III. The curio factor wore off quickly for me.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 21:05
Best: Shut Up ‘N’ Play Yer Guitar (all three discs).
Worst: Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 21:55
My favourite Zappa album is Roxy and Elsewhere. 

Worst...well I don't think Zappa has any bad albums, but I can name individual songs I can't listen to:
- Find Her Finer  (Zoot Allures)
- The Jazz Discharge Party Hats (Man From Utopia)
- Fine Girl (Tinseltown Rebellion)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 02:15
Best: too many to count (OSFA, Waka/Jawaka, Grand Wazoo, Hot Rats, etc.)
Worst: too little to count

Zappa rules!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 02:39
I've of most of what Zappa's done until the Ships Arriving From Utopia era
I've heard a few of them afterwards, but found nothing worth owning

So my faves are the Hot Rats (including Jaka, Wazoo, Sleep Dirt)Clap

my least faves arte generally the early Mothers Of Invention albums, because I really am annoyed by the overwhelming satire and dumb humour... out of those , only Burnt Weasel Flesh Sandwich find grace to my ears. (yeah, even the Kong suite doesn't do much for me)... But hands down, Ruben and the Jets is his worse (I dislike his humorous Doo-Wopidiocy.

Edited by Sean Trane - November 18 2018 at 04:18
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 08:15
My favorite Zappa albums are the mid 70's trio (One size Fits all , Over-nite Sensation, Apostrophe) 

I don't really want to say worst (Mostly because I know I'll get a beating Wink) but I have a hard time getting in to some of the early stuff (WOIIFTM, Etc..) Also I don't love Hot Rats as much as a lot of people do.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 10:18
I liked it when Zappa made instrumental music. The social satire lyrics not so much.

Edited by SteveG - November 16 2018 at 10:19
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 14:21
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

My favorite remains Sheik Yerbouti. It strikes the perfect balance of tunesmithing and ferocity where playing is concerned. And the lyrics are Cheech & Chong-level hilarious. An all-around great time.

I agree with Sheik Yerbouti as being an all around excellent album and it was the one that got me interested in Frank Zappa in the first place.  It gives examples of almost all of the different styles that Zappa had and is organized perfectly as far as the track listing goes.  I said "Lather" was my favorite for the same reason, but it even gives you an even wider view of FZ's music. That was the only reason I picked "Lather" over "Sheik".   It was FZ's intention to release this 4 album set, which had the original versions of many of the tracks from "Sheik Yerbouti", "Studio Tan", "Sleep Dirt", "Orchestral Favorites" and "Zappa in New York".  Instead, Warner Brothers released them as all individual albums against Frank's wishes. 

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 16:32
I have over 40 FZ albums so a lot to choose from...

Best: Studio Tan, We're Only in it for the Money, YCDTOSA Vol 2 The Helsinki Concert, Laether, The Crux of the Biscuit

Worst: Thing Fish (by a big margin LOL), Waka Jawaka, Hot Rats
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 06:11
Oh yeah! = One Size Fits All, The Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Lumpy Gravy, Sleep Dirt (instrumental version), Apostrophe, Overnite Sensation

Oh no (I don't believe it) = We're Only In it For the Money and much of the 80's stuff. 
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 11:07
My favorite is Inca Roads.

As for least favorite... Well I haven't really given a good listen to all his billion and one albums, but I would say Zoot Allures probably had the worst impression on me. Most of the songs seemed to be focused on the lyrics, but the humour fell flat for me. The instrumentals are great, though... that's the problem with looking at Zappa album by album, sometimes he'll have total crap next to gold.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 13:59
Best: One Size Fits All (Runners up: The Grand Wazoo, The Best Band You've Never...)

Worse: Cruisin With Ruben & The Jets (Runners up: The Man From Utopia, Francisco Zappa)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 15:17
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I agree with Sheik Yerbouti as being an all around excellent album and it was the one that got me interested in Frank Zappa in the first place.  It gives examples of almost all of the different styles that Zappa had and is organized perfectly as far as the track listing goes.  I said "Lather" was my favorite for the same reason, but it even gives you an even wider view of FZ's music. That was the only reason I picked "Lather" over "Sheik".   It was FZ's intention to release this 4 album set, which had the original versions of many of the tracks from "Sheik Yerbouti", "Studio Tan", "Sleep Dirt", "Orchestral Favorites" and "Zappa in New York".  Instead, Warner Brothers released them as all individual albums against Frank's wishes.

That's interesting. The thing is, Sheik Yerbouti is so great as a standalone album, to jam into a box set would probably not be the best showcase for it. It doesn't mesh well with those other albums, either.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 19:51
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I have over 40 FZ albums so a lot to choose from...

Best: Studio Tan, We're Only in it for the Money, YCDTOSA Vol 2 The Helsinki Concert, Laether, The Crux of the Biscuit

Worst: Thing Fish (by a big margin LOL), Waka Jawaka, Hot Rats

Absolutely agree about Thing Fish, but.. but.. how are Waka/Jawaka and Hot Rats on the worst list? Those are both great, jazzy albums man.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 20:49
Best - most of his output....
Worst - 200 Motels (just can’t ‘nail’ that one) and You Are What You Is......
I pretty much have the LP’s from Absolutely Free to Them or Us (36 in total). Love most of them dearly.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 01:00
I find it easier to break up things a bit. Yer not gonna get much from a 20 golden hits best of ...

'60s Mothers: Best -Uncle Meat
                    Worst -
60s FZ : Best - Hot Rats Zappa jazz fusion. This and the Waka Jawaka Grand Wazoo sets...
             Worst -
70s Mothers: Best - Roxy (both original and box set)
                    Worst -
Mid 70s FZ: Best - Once Size Fits All, Zoot Allures
                  Worst -
Late 70s FZ: Best - Lather Covers a lot of ground here and saves having to pick 1 of the originals
            Worst -
80s FZ: Best - Thingfish (yes, I think this and Man From Utopia are terrific)
                     Make A Jazz Noise Here.
            Worst - Francesco and Civilization.

Best of the Guitar albums: Best - Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar 1 -3
                                      Worst -

Best Orchestral Work: Best - Yellow Shark
                                 Worst -

Wraxallman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraxallman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 15:10
Huge Zappa fan here.  Ever since the late 70s, when I heard Joe's Garage over the PA at a Motörhead gig.  Never looked back.

Favourite Zappa - that's easy: Joe's Garage Vols 1,2 and 3, probably it's because it was my first Zappa experience.  So many great albums bobbing around for 2nd place (Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, Tinseltown Rebellion, Waka/Jawaka, Hot Rats, Overnite Sensation, Zappa In New York....the list is almost endless (110 releases later...)

Probably the albums I listen and relate to the least are the neo-classical works like London Symphony Orchestra or The Perfect Stranger.  That said, I quite like The Yellow Shark but largely due to the boundless energy projected by the orchestra Zappa was playing with, the Ensemble Moderne.  Even so, if the Zappa Family Trust releases them, like the sucker that I am I will buy them.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 15:37
Favourites: 
1. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
2. Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger 
3. The Yellow Shark
4. The Man From Utopia
5. LSO, Vols. I & II
6. Francesco Zappa
7. Orchestral Favorites

Least favourite:
Loads. 

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 28 2019 at 15:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>