Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best/Worst of Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ezrahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 04:45
Best:
Joe's Garage
We're only in it...
Make a Jazz noise here
Waka Jawaka

Worst:
Individual songs, like Teenage Prostitute or Valley Girl (both from the same album, actually, which they share with great yet weird songs like Ship Arriving Too Late, the title track).
I used to dislike ThingFish until I finally understood the social commentary in between the madness.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 06:29
Hi,

Hi,

For me, to decide if your life was "best" when you were 23 instead of when you were 32 is a bit scary ... the only thing that is clear in a Frank Zappa story is that his earlier material kept much of the energy and fun, all the way to the end, even if some of it ended up being in the lyrics.

To me, it's sad to think that this album, or that album is better than something else. It's the same ARTIST ... and that artist's EXPRESSION, and we don't go around saying the same thing ... like ... you look stupid with that pink shirt on, and great with that green shirt on ... it could be Halloween and it's fun to break up the norms and such!

200 MOTELS is NOT the worst ... and if any of you have a chance to listen to the orchestra version done  before Gail passed away, you will find that the classical musicians enjoyed playing it ... and did so magnificently and that choir in the last 20 minutes is insanely amazing ... but all anyone can say is ... not my favorite.

What you will find in those moments with that choir is likely this ... a bunch of stuff that every choir has always wanted to do and couldn't and put together in a way that makes sense and makes a lot of "compositions" sound pretentious, stupid and over bearing. The choir performing this is undoubtedly excited about doing something different and original, that no one else has EVER done (maybe -- kinda close ... only PDQ Bach - this board thinks he didn't exist, btw!) ... and it ought to tell you how valuable and important that is all around.

Frank deserves the credit for being one of America's greatest composers ... not a guitar God ... and just so you remember he flipped the finger on that one ... when a fan was being stupid ... he put the guitar down and conducted the rest of the concert ... I would have done the same, rather than feed the BS that comes with fan-doom and that kind of non-sense!

YOU, TOO, WOULD HAVE WANTED THAT RESPECT!

Maybe PA'rs will learn the difference between "music" and just another "song" with the same, TIRED solo, in exactly the same spot as just about every other song out there ... 

Edited by moshkito - April 17 2019 at 06:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 11:01
The worse is probably The Fish for me. The best ? I love most of his work.
Right now my fav albums are : meets the mothers of prevention and jazz from hell.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 12:07
I love "Freak Out" and "Absolutely Free" and hate the "Joe's Garage" trilogy.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 14:39
I don't usually do favorites list and Zappa's list is extraordinarily difficult because it all depends on the mood i'm in so answers may vary. 

One pet peeve i have is that the albums that were released by The Mothers of Invention ALWAYS seem to get thrown into the overall Zappa canon. THOSE ARE NOT ZAPPA ALBUMS!!!!! Why don't we just throw all Jethro Tull albums into the Ian Anderson solo page?

THESE ALBUMS ARE MOTHER OF INVENTION ALBUMS!!!!

I pretty much like all Zappa albums and love Thing-Fish, Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch and many 80s released oft loathed by prog snobs. Who wants to hear jazz-fusion all the friggin time even though i love One Size Fits All, Hot Rats and the rest. The only albums that don't float my boat are some of the orchestral ones as well as Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. They are fairly boring due to overweening lengthiness. The Yellow Shark is great though.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 14:41
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I love "Freak Out" and "Absolutely Free" and hate the "Joe's Garage" trilogy.

I've never been big on the Joe's Garage series either. It's ok but i rarely want to  hear them. Freak Out is probably at the top of the list though.

lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 12:37
Apostrophe and Sheik Yerbouti are my favourites.
lostrom
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 18:35
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

One pet peeve i have is that the albums that were released by The Mothers of Invention ALWAYS seem to get thrown into the overall Zappa canon. THOSE ARE NOT ZAPPA ALBUMS!!!!! Why don't we just throw all Jethro Tull albums into the Ian Anderson solo page?

Well, neither case employed the principles of democracy.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 19:17
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Yep, just asking my prog peeps here to throw the Mothers a little love Wink

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 12:59

The Mothers were salaried workers playing the music of Frank Zappa, Frank was the boss and the one who was paying.

and when was the last time you saw a mere employee get recognition for his work?

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 18:04
Favorites: 200 Motels, All the 60s albums, One Size Fits All, Civilization Phaze III

Least favorites : Joe’s Garage (hate the flange effect on the guitar solos!), Man from Utopia, Them or Us
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 18:56
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

The Mothers were salaried workers playing the music of Frank Zappa, Frank was the boss and the one who was paying.

and when was the last time you saw a mere employee get recognition for his work?

That's true of a lot of bands. The point is that the albums were released under the name THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION. We all know Zappa was the brains behind the whole thing but he couldn't have made those early albums so great without the employees behind him Big smile

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 21:58
Glad to see all of the love for "Sleepdirt!" 

FZ's guitar playing progressed and improved over the years, he really was under-appreciated for his instrumental skills.  

The live "Roxy And Elsewhere" is a personal favorite of mine.  

I was fortunate to see FZ live (twice) in the 1970s, his show was not to be missed!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Whamdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whamdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 23:46
Nothing better than the early mothers, although his mid 70's jazz fusion period is very good as well
The Wham Daddy
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 23:52
OK here's a chronological sort of all I have in my collection.  I obviously cant evaluate anything I haven't heard.  My first encounter wit Zappa was the late '70's. I am pretty sure I only knew him by reputation when I bought Bongo Fury but I distinctly remember buying that one at a mall record store.  And I must admit it was a bit much at first but I really came to like it.  Probably not one of my favorites though but here's the list - 
Zappa, Frank/The Mothers of Invention FREAK OUT! 1966 Dec. 1196 8/27/05 86
Zappa, Frank & The Mothers of Invention Absolutely Free 1966 Nov. 1497 9/10/11 28
Zappa, Frank Lumpy Gravy 1967 Feb. 697 8/12/00 58
Zappa, Frank/The Mothers of Invention We're Only In It for the Money 1967 Mar.-Aug. 1300 8/15/06 57
Zappa, Frank/The Mothers of Invention Uncle Meat 1967 1968 Sep.-Sep. 498 1/1/97
Zappa, Frank/The Mothers of Invention Burnt Weeny Sandwich 1967 1969 Aug.-Jul. 499 1/1/97
Zappa, Frank & The Mothers of Invention Weasels Ripped My Flesh 1967 1969 Dec.,Aug. 599 4/10/00 22
Zappa, Frank Hot Rats 1969 Jul.-Aug. 699 8/12/00 59
Zappa, Frank Wazoo 1972 Sep. 400 9/10/11 19
Zappa, Frank Over-nite Sensation 1973 May 899 8/11/02 70
Zappa, Frank Roxy The Movie 1973 Dec. 1590 12/26/15 14 46
Zappa, Frank Apostrophe (') 1974 Sep. 699 1/1/82
Zappa, Frank & The Mothers of Invention One Size Fits All 1974- 1975 Aug.-Apr. 100 12/20/0
Zappa, Frank/Captain Beefheart/Mothers Bongo Fury 1975 May 1400 8/15/08 44
Zappa, Frank Zoot Allures 1976 Feb.-Jun. 300 12/20/07
Zappa, Frank Studio Tan 1978 599 1/1/88
Zappa, Frank Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III 1979 Apr. 1197 8/27/05 87
Zappa, Frank Sheik Yerbouti (Remaster) 1979 Aug. 1199 8/27/05 88
Zappa, Frank You Are What You Is 1981 May 799 3/25/02 32
Zappa, Frank Tinseltown Rebellion 1981 Jun. 1198 8/27/05 89
Zappa, Frank Thing-Fish 1984 800 3/4/02 21
Zappa, Frank Jazz From Hell 1986 600 8/12/00 60
Zappa, Frank Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, The 1988 700 8/12/00 61
Zappa, Frank Broadway the Hardway 1988 900 11/9/02 76
Zappa, Frank Dance Me This 1993 1584 8/11/15 8 52

I can't say there is anything that I hate here or would toss back.  There is certainly a few that fit into the difficult listening music category.  These are sorted chronolgically but I am already seeing some mistakes.  For now I will give it a rest and get back to y'all later.  I really love his political songs and if you've ever seen him in an interview, he had strong political opinions that are pretty much in sync with my own.  Just looking at this list there are a couple of stand outs that were bookends  of his career - Trouble Everyday and When The Lie's So Big.  

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 11:43
OK favorite is Sheik Yerbouti.  Least is Dance Me This.  But they are all closely clustered together.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 12:39
For my personal taste most of the best stuff is in the period up to and including 1974. Not really much after that, apart from orchestral stuff, that I can get on with.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 14:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

OK favorite is Sheik Yerbouti.  Least is Dance Me This.  But they are all closely clustered together.

Love Sheik Yerbouti.  That was my introduction to FZ as it played over the PA system at a Van Halen concert way back when.  I have never heard "Dance Me This" for some reason, I guess I missed out on it when it was released a few years ago, but there have been a lot of posthumous albums I never added to my collection.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 14:36
Dance Me This is a late release that was made late in his life.  If you like his Synclavier stuff you mike like this one better than others in my list.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12