Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Yes Song '72 - '74

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Vote for Your Favorite Yes Song from CTTE, TFTO & Relayer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [37.21%]
13 [15.12%]
3 [3.49%]
14 [16.28%]
2 [2.33%]
2 [2.33%]
2 [2.33%]
14 [16.28%]
3 [3.49%]
1 [1.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Yes Song '72 - '74
    Posted: November 17 2018 at 13:15
I've always considered CTTE, TFTO & Relayer to be one of the greatest 3 consecutive studio album runs in prog history and the pinnacle of the Yes discography.  It's even more impressive when you consider the Yes lineup obviously changed between each album!

During this '72 to '74 run, which Yes track is your favorite and why?

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 13:54
Gates
The Ancient
Close
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 14:46
I love them all, but CTTE just Edges (pun intended) past them.  Not by much though.

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 15:10
That's like asking which of my children I like best...

Well, I love TFTO but I consider it to be slightly inferior to CTTE and Relayer.

CTTE is one of the greatest albums ever made and one of my absolute favourites. Could have gone with any of the tracks off that one.

But Relayer is an album that blew me away, and ranks as my favourite Yes album.

Love Gates of course, but I've always had a thing for Sound Chaser. Just love that opening drum solo with the rest of the band piling in behind it. Superb. So that's the one I'm going with.

They're all great though.
Songs cast a light on you
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 15:38
Tough decision - voted for The Revealing Science Of God, but could’ve voted for Sound Chaser.....but there you go.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 15:43
I love how Yes released a total of 10 songs spread out over 4 records.

Really tough choice for me, but today I'm just feeling like Ritual.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 16:06
...seasons will pass you by.......
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 16:14
It's not easy to choose among this amazing list of songs, I guess it would depend on what mood I'm in at the moment I'm casting my vote. Right now I'm inclined to choose "And You And I", but that will change later tonight, and tomorrow morning.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 16:36
It just occurred to me that these were the 1st 3 Yes albums I bought (in the same order they were originally released no less) beginning in September 1975 with CTTE, Relayer in November and TFTO the following February.  I still remember the night I dropped the needle on side 1 of Tales...pure magic.  Unfortunately, disc 2 was horribly warped and I had to return it...took 2 weeks for my local record store to get a replacement, that still ranks as about the longest 2 weeks of my life LOL

Choosing a favorite track is nearly impossible...but it's definitely between Gates, To Be Over, The Revealing Science of God and The Ancient.  I'm going with side 1 of Tales...those, "They move fast, they tell me..." sections are my all time favorite Yes pieces of music.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 17 2018 at 16:39
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 19:44
TFTO - Wakeman’s Mini-Moog - best ever !!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 21:10
Had to vote for Gates but several others are really good too especially And you and I, CTTE(title track)and ritual.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 21:12
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I've always considered CTTE, TFTO & Relayer to be one of the greatest 3 consecutive studio album runs in prog history and the pinnacle of the Yes discography.  It's even more impressive when you consider the Yes lineup obviously changed between each album!

During this '72 to '74 run, which Yes track is your favorite and why?

If you include TYA and Fragile then you have a run of five albums which would equal trespass through Lamb or NC to A trick of the tail.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 17 2018 at 21:14
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 21:30
Now this one is difficult. I guess I marginally choose CttE, but it really could have been And You And I, The Revealing Science of God, or Gates of Delirium instead. For me the masterpiece run of Yes albums is Fragile and CttE, the two that have their greatest (and perhaps THE greatest) line-up.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 21:43
Close to the edge, down by the river
Prog On!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 21:44
It's hard to not vote for something from CTTE, but Sound Chaser still blows my away me every time I hear it.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 22:00
[QUOTE=The.Crimson.King]

Agree with your premise ---the thing that was amazing they had the BEST talent---all 5---so great music was made---Love all of these--guess if I were pressed CTTE--perfect prog all of them at their best with Bruford really laying down a tight beat---Revealing--symphonic prog on steroids--White loosens up the rhythm and its  just powerfully moving---Gates---art out of electronic orchestration--Moraz inspires the whole band to go crazy. Think Yes always suffered when they allowed mediocre talent in---would never be the same.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 00:25
RSOG for me....I love all of them, but it is the one track that I still study intently, learning the vocal harmonies, guitar & bass parts etc.   An amazing body of work from this band! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 03:02
Close to The Edge
Gates of Delirium
Revealing Science of God

Arguably three of the best tracks Yes constructed, ever.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 08:24
Close to the Edge
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 08:31
The Ancient!!

Followed by Soundchaser and Ritual
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>