FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUriah Heep sort of botch their best song

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uriah Heep sort of botch their best song
    Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:36
Uriah Heep botch their best song by making it too short, it's usually the other way around, they usually botch their songs by making them too long. Anyway their best song Paradise from Demons and Wizards is over just when it begins to rock seriously, what a shame.
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:45
Best song is Paradise??? Shurely some mistake... don't you mean one of the following:- Easy Living,Bird of Prey,Magicians Birthday,July Morning,Tales,Gypsy etc etc .. I've liked Heep since i was at high school circa 1977 so tread lightly
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:49

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

Best song is Paradise??? Shurely some mistake... don't you mean one of the following:- Easy Living,Bird of Prey,Magicians Birthday,July Morning,Tales,Gypsy etc etc .. I've liked Heep since i was at high school circa 1977 so tread lightly

I'd say July Morning is their second best song. Easy Living is a straight forward rocker so it does little for me and Gypsy suffers from being too long.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:53

"Paradise/The spell" is certainly recognised among Heep fans as one of their best. They performed it live for the first time (I think) at the first Magician's Birthday party concert in 2000, when Ken Hensley returned for a one off appearance. It has what I consider to be the finest slide guitar solo I've ever heard.

The "Paradise" part of the track is pretty straight forward Ofur, I'm not sure it would have benefited from being extended beyond its 5 minutes.

Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:53
Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

I'd say July Morning is their second best song. Easy Living is a straight forward rocker so it does little for me and Gypsy suffers from being too long.

I have just begin too rediscover Uriah Heep. Haven't heard paradise yet, may agree that easy livin' is just a rock melody but Gypsy DOESN'T suffer because it's "too long".

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:54
Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

Easy livin' IS a rocker true-but Gypsy is just long enough otherwise it would'nt BE Gypsy

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:57
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

"Paradise/The spell" is certainly recognised among Heep fans as one of their best. They performed it live for the first time (I think) at the first Magician's Birthday party concert in 2000, when Ken Hensley returned for a one off appearance. It has what I consider to be the finest slide guitar solo I've ever heard.

The "Paradise" part of the track is pretty straight forward Ofur, I'm not sure it would have benefited from being extended beyond its 5 minutes.

Magicians birthday has one of the best guitar solos on it that i have heard-many a badminton racket string was ruined playing along to that track-Mick Box was fab!!

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 16:01
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

It's quite possible the song would not have benefited from being longer with Uriah Heep's strange skill at botching long songs. But you have to admit that the song is over just when it starts to kick some serious ass.

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 16:02
These are,mind you,the opinions of delusional boring old farts

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 16:09

These are,mind you,the opinions of delusional boring old farts

Count me in!Thumbs Up

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 16:11

I think 'Paradise' is a sublime song and wouldn't change a thing about it- plus 'The Spell' is one of my favourite instrumentals ever- the combination of a beautiful piano melody, haunting slide guitar solo and gorgeous harmonies is utterly irresistable. To me, it's their best song ever behind 'July Morning', and I own almost every album they've ever done (I've heard 'em all- I just don't think the albums 'Equator' through 'Different World' are worth owning personally). I wholly disagree it's botched, and I also think it's mud in the eye for those who say Heep aren't a prog band!

Oh yeah, and that 'Magician's Birthday Party' gig must have been amazing- I have the DVD, and it was really moving with Ken back in Heep after all their tribulations prior to that.

They did 'Paradise' on the 'Acoustically Driven' DVD as well, in a medley with 'The Wizard' and 'Circle Of Hands'.

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 17:39
Strange I'd even go so far as to say that listening to Paradise kind of pissess me off because when it ends I can't help thinking: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Cry For me Paradise sounds sort of like if Close to the Edge had faded out at the climax (I don't remeber exactly at what mark that was, 11:00 or something like that, I'm sure you know the spot I'm talking about).
Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 19:03

Call me crazy but one song of theirs would be better if it were longer: Poet's Justice.

And what's 'too long' about Gypsy????  THERE's something to satisfy your masculinity!

Edited by Starette
50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 16:58

Yeah, 'Poet's Justice' is quite overlooked by fans I think- I love the vocals on this one, even the rather pompous lyrics are right up my street too! Plus there's some dizzying guitar interplay by Box and Hensley, and Ken Hensley's organ solo near the end is superb and very quick!

I consider 'Demons And Wizards' to be perhaps THE perfect album in Heep's catalogue; not one song overstays its welcome, and as a result for me the album seems to be over too quickly..

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 17:14
Sums it up nicely for me Salmacis, my favourite album since 1972!Embarrassed
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 17:25

Uriah Heap sort of botched up everything they laid their grubby fingers on, including my virgin ears.

I didn't mean that, really.  At least they're better than Gravy Train . . .

Edited by hegelec
Cheers!
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 23:05

You're right Ofur ... there weren't nearly enough choruses on Lady In Black!

Actually I thought Paradise was the perfect length ... the fade-out to The Spell comes in just about the third time they do that "what's the use" line ...

Some of my favourite Heep songs that don't get enough attention (although I don't know if lengtening them would make a difference) ... are What Should Be Done, Rainbow Demon, Tales and Circus ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 02:21
I like "Salisbury"!
 Post Reply Post Reply