Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many albums do you recognise/own?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 04:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I own 142 of these titles on LP. Mostly as re-issue, but many originals amongst them. That is quite a selection in your library !!
That's great! Which prog reissues do you recommend? The King Crimson 200g reissues directly from the master tapes sound amazing. Also anything that Steven Wilson has got his hands on sounds brilliant. Would love to get my hands on more reissues that sound amazing. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 04:49
I own 51, recognise 81.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 04:58
I can identify 45 that I have at first sight. I also realised the Germans were largely missing. A nice and unexpected find is Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen by Stern Meissen though; I grew up in Western Germany but when I was young and the GDR still existed, I took pride in exploring what they had on offer, most of which was and still is largely unknown in the west. On the other hand, I'm not that strong on Italian music and you have pretty much all that I love and much more - except my favourite - Dialoghi del presente by Luciano Cilio.

Edited by Lewian - November 20 2018 at 05:02
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 07:52
own a lot but not into a lot of prog so it seems I own all of the dozen or so bands I love and the solo work they did outside the band---when u own 1000 records it seems its more to own them rather than have time to listen to all of it more than once.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:28
Originally posted by acemachine26 acemachine26 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Thanks! I'm glad you're able to discover new albums through my collage.

I wouldn't say that. More like rediscover. I could only discover them if I recognized the cover or am able to make out the name of the band or title. If you have the time to send me a list of the ones you like the most I wouldn't object to that. 
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:32
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:53
I counted 68 that I have heard, owned or currently own. I recognized the covers of at least twice that number.

A few observations here(not trying to judge or be nitpicky just what I noticed):

Very little neo prog (I only saw one Marillion album)
No Ozric Tentacles 
I didn't see any prog I recognized from this decade(and just a few from the 2000's)
Mostly seventies prog with a few later ones sprinkled in
A lot of "collector" type of prog (that is to say more obscure vintage prog from the seventies)
I didn't see Il Baletto Bronzo's YS album. ;) :P
acemachine26 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 09:49

I counted 68 that I have heard, owned or currently own. I recognized the covers of at least twice that number.

A few observations here(not trying to judge or be nitpicky just what I noticed):

No Ozric Tentacles 
I didn't see any prog I recognized from this decade(and just a few from the 2000's)
A lot of "collector" type of prog (that is to say more obscure vintage prog from the seventies)
I have a lot of neo-prog, prog from the 2000s, stuff by Ozric Tentacles and the Italian prog masterpiece Ys. There are hundreds of other albums I would've also added to this but the thing is that the more pics you add to a collage, the smaller each individual pic gets so it becomes very hard to recognise anything. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 15:10
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I can identify 45 that I have at first sight. I also realised the Germans were largely missing. A nice and unexpected find is Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen by Stern Meissen though; I grew up in Western Germany but when I was young and the GDR still existed, I took pride in exploring what they had on offer, most of which was and still is largely unknown in the west. On the other hand, I'm not that strong on Italian music and you have pretty much all that I love and much more - except my favourite - Dialoghi del presente by Luciano Cilio.
Yeah I love the German stuff too but I wanted to make a collage focused on prog and not krautrock. The pic would've been way too big and the individual albums way too small had I added the hundreds of krautrock albums from my collection. I love Dialoghi del presente by Luciano Cilio and have it in my collection although I'd classify it more as classical/minimalism/chamber music.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 15:15

Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Thanks! I'm glad you're able to discover new albums through my collage.

I wouldn't say that. More like rediscover. I could only discover them if I recognized the cover or am able to make out the name of the band or title. If you have the time to send me a list of the ones you like the most I wouldn't object to that. 
Sure, would love to recommend some of my favourites. Any particular sub-genre you're interested in? Maybe Italian, Swedish, Czech, Canadian prog or modern/neo-prog or symphonic prog or avant-prog/RIO etc?
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:10
Nice collection!

On a quick scan I own about 35 of those albums and either recognise or have listened to around another 30.

I always wonder though, based on some of the comments in this thread, is it better to have a small collection of albums that you know really well, or a large collection of albums most of which you've hardly listened to?

I can't believe that, if you own 3,000 or 4,000 albums that you get time to really listen to that many of them.

I don't know how many albums I own, but it's closer to 400 than 4,000 and there are, for example, Yes albums that I've played literally hundreds of times and still get something from them. 

I just wonder if maybe less is more when it comes to owning albums?
Songs cast a light on you
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:20
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Nice collection!

On a quick scan I own about 35 of those albums and either recognise or have listened to around another 30.

I always wonder though, based on some of the comments in this thread, is it better to have a small collection of albums that you know really well, or a large collection of albums most of which you've hardly listened to?

I can't believe that, if you own 3,000 or 4,000 albums that you get time to really listen to that many of them.

I don't know how many albums I own, but it's closer to 400 than 4,000 and there are, for example, Yes albums that I've played literally hundreds of times and still get something from them. 

It's a matter of resources, space, money... as long as there are no issues with that, it can't hurt much to still have an album that I have only listened to once or twice. Occasionally something grabs me ten or twenty years later when for some reason I think I should give this-or-that another spin. I'm at between 1500 and 2000 and of course the number of albums I know really well is much lower, but still... also I have digitised most of them and love to play stuff at random... the more I have, the more adventure. 
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:22
The point of having thousands of albums isn't that you have time to listen to them over and over, but when a day comes that a certain song comes into your head, you're able to go to your collection and play it. I have about 4,000 albums (vinyl and CD) but many of them I own just for one or two songs. (Example: Ray Manzarek -- "The Whole Thing Started With Rock-N-Roll and Now It's Out of Control" I own solely for the song "Bicentennial Blues (Love It or Leave It)"

PROGMATIC
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

It's a matter of resources, space, money... as long as there are no issues with that, it can't hurt much to still have an album that I have only listened to once or twice. Occasionally something grabs me ten or twenty years later when for some reason I think I should give this-or-that another spin. I'm at between 1500 and 2000 and of course the number of albums I know really well is much lower, but still... also I have digitised most of them and love to play stuff at random... the more I have, the more adventure. 

I do get the idea that it's nice to have a lot of albums so that if something comes into your head you always have the album on hand

The problem I find is that I feel guilty if I buy a prog rock album and then don't give it the time and attention it deserves.

For example, I bought VdGG's "Still Life" and couldn't get into it at all. 

I kept playing it on and off over months and eventually, one day, the fireworks went off in my head and I discovered that I absolutely loved it.

If I had just bought it, played it once or twice, and then stored it away in my huge collection I would have never had that experience.

I think, especially with prog rock albums, the full richness of an album is often only revealed if you give an album time and attention and, with a vast collection, I don't see how that's possible for the majority of the albums.

Songs cast a light on you
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:54
I have 90 that I can recognize from your collage, out of about 750 prog albums that I currently own (CD or digital). 

I recently counted all the albums I have from the top-rated lists for each sub-genre; besides "Symphonic" Prog, I only had, on average, about 5-10% of each sub-genre.  Keeps me wanting to sample and collect more!
Z
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 17:01

Hi, I'm new on this forum and here's a collage of some prog rock from my personal iTunes collection. Just curious as to how similar my tastes are compared to other users here. Here's the hi-res version of this collage: https://ibb.co/eaqri8

too lazy.. or sober to bother actually counting.. but I recognize a great many.  You do have some great tastes
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 19:03

Nice collection!

You're absolutely right, having thousands of albums to listen to at my disposal does mean that I spend less time listening to each album multiple times and fully absorbing the music. But most of the albums in my collection that I have yet to listen to are by artists that I have heard before or someone associated with an artist or band that I love, so I have a rough idea about what to expect when blind buying. Although I have 3000+ albums in my collection, I've listened to around 85-90% of them at least twice. I've had this routine for years where I listen to one full album per day. Every morning I pick a random album from the collection, add it to my iPod and listen to it once while commuting to work and a second time while going back home. The ones that I come back to multiple times get added to my list of records to get (which currently has around 200 albums on it). My large collection also inspires me and expands my sound palette which really helps with my job as a composer/sound designer for film and game audio. Anyway, that's my current system. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:05

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I own 142 of these titles on LP. Mostly as re-issue, but many originals amongst them. That is quite a selection in your library !!

That's great! Which prog reissues do you recommend? The King Crimson 200g reissues directly from the master tapes sound amazing. Also anything that Steven Wilson has got his hands on sounds brilliant. Would love to get my hands on more reissues that sound amazing. 
Actually, I counted 32 re-issues - mainly Italian Prog, although many titles are later pressings from the 70’s. I must have over 2000 LP’s by now - mostly Prog and Metal of all kinds, a bit of Pop too - last count totalled at about 1970-odd, and that was 2 or 3 years ago. By now I’m running out of storage space. Been collecting since 1986.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:05

No Ozric Tentacles 
Just had another look at my collage and I actually do have Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys on there. Column 10 Row 2.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:08
^ You can’t be without this classic !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>