Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many albums do you recognise/own?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:15
Nice selection, indeed ! (own more than half, for sure, in one or other form)

Plus side: plenty of VDGG, Fish out of water
Minus: only one PF, TFTO ?

Edited by Quinino - November 21 2018 at 06:25
acemachine26 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:26
Originally posted by acemachine26 acemachine26 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I counted 68 that I have heard, owned or currently own. I recognized the covers of at least twice that number.

A few observations here(not trying to judge or be nitpicky just what I noticed):

Very little neo prog (I only saw one Marillion album)
No Ozric Tentacles 
I didn't see any prog I recognized from this decade(and just a few from the 2000's)
Mostly seventies prog with a few later ones sprinkled in
A lot of "collector" type of prog (that is to say more obscure vintage prog from the seventies)
I didn't see Il Baletto Bronzo's YS album. ;) :P
Just had another look at my collage and I actually do have Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys on there. Column 10 Row 2.
Found Ozric Tentacles on there too. Pungent Effulgent in Column 13, right end. As for prog from this decade, Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning (2011) and Änglagård's Viljans öga (2012) are both in the collage.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:25
Too last to count
I'm not sure there are more than 50 albums I didn't recognize in that montage (without looking at the band names)

I'd say I heard over 2/3 and must still own 50%
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:55
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

It's a matter of resources, space, money... as long as there are no issues with that, it can't hurt much to still have an album that I have only listened to once or twice. Occasionally something grabs me ten or twenty years later when for some reason I think I should give this-or-that another spin. I'm at between 1500 and 2000 and of course the number of albums I know really well is much lower, but still... also I have digitised most of them and love to play stuff at random... the more I have, the more adventure. 

I do get the idea that it's nice to have a lot of albums so that if something comes into your head you always have the album on hand

The problem I find is that I feel guilty if I buy a prog rock album and then don't give it the time and attention it deserves.

For example, I bought VdGG's "Still Life" and couldn't get into it at all. 

I kept playing it on and off over months and eventually, one day, the fireworks went off in my head and I discovered that I absolutely loved it.

If I had just bought it, played it once or twice, and then stored it away in my huge collection I would have never had that experience.

I think, especially with prog rock albums, the full richness of an album is often only revealed if you give an album time and attention and, with a vast collection, I don't see how that's possible for the majority of the albums.

There's no right or wrong way to listen to music. I enjoy returning to an old favorite and knowing every note in advance and playing along in my mind. I enjoy returning to a new favorite and discovering new nuance I hadn't heard before. And I enjoy hearing something for the first time, and that sense of 'exploration' that comes with it. I try not to think about it too much, and just grab whatever suits me moment to moment ... and I know that what works for me won't work for others. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 10:41

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I own 142 of these titles on LP. Mostly as re-issue, but many originals amongst them. That is quite a selection in your library !!
That's great! Which prog reissues do you recommend? The King Crimson 200g reissues directly from the master tapes sound amazing. Also anything that Steven Wilson has got his hands on sounds brilliant. Would love to get my hands on more reissues that sound amazing. 

Yes all the KC 200g reissues sound brilliant, especially LTIA. The Nick Davis Rhino reissues of Genesis albums are also pretty amazing as these are all 1/2 speed remasters.
Steven Wilson has a magic ear for remixing and remastering as well as mixing and mastering new recordings, JTull Aqualung and APP are amazing reissues.
And all the Peter Gabriel 45RPM 1/2 speed remasters are stunning, I think all the lacquers are cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:47
156 out of 289
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 15:47
I own 64 of these on LP or CD. Out of more than 2000 prog albums. This collection is very UK and 70s.
My albums come from 58 countries, with a peak in the early 70s and a lot in the 10s now.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 16:05
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

I own 64 of these on LP or CD. Out of more than 2000 prog albums. This collection is very UK and 70s.
My albums come from 58 countries, with a peak in the early 70s and a lot in the 10s now.

Cool, I'm sure if I go through all the prog I own I'll find stuff from all over Europe, Australia, Middle East, South America and Asia but I'm not actively seeking prog simply based on where it's from. The UK is the birthplace of prog so obviously a majority of my collection will be from there. Btw this is just a small fraction of all the prog I own which includes quite a but of stuff from 2000s and 2010s. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 17:16

Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Thanks! I'm glad you're able to discover new albums through my collage.

I wouldn't say that. More like rediscover. I could only discover them if I recognized the cover or am able to make out the name of the band or title. If you have the time to send me a list of the ones you like the most I wouldn't object to that. 
Sure, would love to recommend some of my favourites. Any particular sub-genre you're interested in? Maybe Italian, Swedish, Czech, Canadian prog or modern/neo-prog or symphonic prog or avant-prog/RIO etc?

Yes (not the band) Tongue
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 17:44
Just 65, but a friend of about 10 years has provided me many a burnt CD with no artwork, so I'm sure I have a few more in common with you.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 19:11
You and me have 57 albums in common not counting the albums i know but i don't enjoy Wink.
Dragged down by the stone
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 12:34

Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Thanks! I'm glad you're able to discover new albums through my collage.

I wouldn't say that. More like rediscover. I could only discover them if I recognized the cover or am able to make out the name of the band or title. If you have the time to send me a list of the ones you like the most I wouldn't object to that. 
Sure, would love to recommend some of my favourites. Any particular sub-genre you're interested in? Maybe Italian, Swedish, Czech, Canadian prog or modern/neo-prog or symphonic prog or avant-prog/RIO etc?

Yes (not the band) Tongue
Here are some relatively unknown/obscure albums that I highly recommend checking out. Start with the highlighted ones first:

Anyone’s Daughter - Adonis
Los Jaivas - Alturas de Machu Picchu
Bubu - Acabelas
Arachnoïd - Arachnoïd
Cressida - Asylum
Axis - Axis
Neuschwanstein - Battlement
Wigwam - Being
Wallenstein - Blitzkrieg
Campo di Marte - Campo di Marte
Captain Marryat - Captain Marryat
Catapilla - Catapilla / Changes
Il Rovescio della Medaglia - Contaminazione
M.I.A. - Cornonstipicum
Culpeper’s Orchard - Culpeper’s Orchard
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Salis - Dopo il buio la lace
Invisible - El jardin de los presentes
Carpe Diem - En regardant passer le temps
Mirthrandir - For You the Old Women
Locanda delle Fate - Forse le lucciole non si amano più
Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments
Sensations’ Fix - Fragments of Light
Frame - Frame of Mind
Älgarnas Trädgård - Framtiden är ett Svåvande Skepp, Förankrat i Forntiden
Tortilla Flat - Für ein ¾ Stündchen
England - Garden Shed
Arti e Mestieri - Giro di valzer per domani / Tilt (Immagini per un Orecchio)
Finch - Glory of the Inner Force
Grobschnitt - Grobschnitt
Guruh Gipsy - Guruh Gipsy
Haikara - Haikara
Pulsar - Halloween
Hands - Hands
Elonorjuu - Harvest Time
Brainchild - Healing of the Lunatic Owl
Hinn íslenzki Þursaflokkur - Hinn íslenzki Þursaflokkur
The Greatest Show on Earth - Horizons
Web - I Spider
Ikarus - Ikarus
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia
Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple
Shem-Tov Levy - In the Mood
Metamorfosi - Inferno
Kaipa - Inget Nytt Under Solen
Atila - Intencion
Yonin Bayashi - Ishoku-Sokuhatsu
T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland
Sweet Smoke - Just a Poke
Kenso - Kenso II
Trettioåriga Kriget - Krigssång
Flamengo - Kuře V Hodinkách
Atoll - L'Araignée-Mal
Pentacle - La Clef des Songes
La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros - La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros
Laurent Thibault - Mais on ne peut pas rêver tout le temps
Solaris - Marsbéli krónikák
Jack Lancaster & Robin Lumley - Marscape
Maxophone - Maxophone
Cervello - Melos
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
Blue Effect - Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladík
Circus - Movin’ On
Phoenix - Mugur de fluier
Bo Hansson - Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings
Galliard - New Dawn
Maneige - Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle
Far Out - Nihonjin
Eloy - Ocean
Osanna - Palepoli
SBB - Pamiec
Pavlov’s Dog - Pampered Menial
Patto - Patto
Curved Air - Phantasmagoria
Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo
Pollen - Pollen
Cos - Postaeolian Train Robbery
Supersister - Present from Nancy
Celeste - Principe Di Un Giorno
Quatermass - Quatermass
Ragnarok - Ragnarok
Twenty Sixty Six and Then - Reflections on the Future
Samurai - Samurai
Jon Lord - Sarabande
Joy Unlimited - Schmetterlinge
Sheshet - Sheshet
Fusion Orchestra - Skeleton of Armour
Novalis - Sommerabend
Earth and Fire - Song of the Marching Children
Sperrmull - Sperrmull
Spring - Spring
Sloche - Stadacone
Stern-Combo Meißen - Stern-Combo Meißen
Subject ESQ - Subject ESQ
However - Sudden Dusk
Franco Battiato - Sulle corde di Aries
Tai Phong - Tai Phong
Zyma - Thoughts
Time - Time
Raw Material - Time Is…
The Master’s Apprentices - A Toast to Panama Red
Jukka Tolonen - Tolonen!
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
Think - Variety
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
Os Mutantes  - Tudo Foi Feito Pelo Sol
Treignac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treignac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 12:00
I possess 103 of these albums and most of the others represent in one list of possible purchases in the more or less close future. For Magma, I am a fan since 1972, for a day when I had assisted one of these concerts in a youth's club in front of some 200 spectators. From this day, I Kept a pair of his drumsticks lost during the concert. I see you have the album of Vortex. I had the surprise of, in my last employment, during fifteen years, Jean-Pierre Vivante, who made the maintenance of our computer system.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 10:53
I own 170 of those, as my eyes are getting worse I own maybe some more.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 18:34
Originally posted by Treignac Treignac wrote:

I possess 103 of these albums and most of the others represent in one list of possible purchases in the more or less close future. For Magma, I am a fan since 1972, for a day when I had assisted one of these concerts in a youth's club in front of some 200 spectators. From this day, I Kept a pair of his drumsticks lost during the concert. I see you have the album of Vortex. I had the surprise of, in my last employment, during fifteen years, Jean-Pierre Vivante, who made the maintenance of our computer system.
Lucky you! I love zeuhl too and try to listen to the classics like Magma, Zao, Eskaton to newer bands like Kōenji Hyakkei. Magma still being my all-time favourite. Seeing them live in concert is on my bucket list, hopefully one day. They've really cut down on touring which is unfortunate. So cool to hear your Magma story and the fact that you have a pair of Vander's sticks, amazing! Really cool info about Vivante too.

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 00:48
I have 160
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 01:03
41. Nice to see the  original and far superior over of Stupid Dream. The new one looks like some corporate ad. Strange as it may seem...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 05:34
I find the numbers posted here surprisingly entertaining. But then I'm a statistician...
Inneres Auge View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inneres Auge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 15:38
I think it's better to buy the records. Having the physical object. CD or vinyl. I do this way: I buy the CDs of the albums I like and the vinyls of the absolute gems.

Edited by Inneres Auge - December 15 2018 at 15:38
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 03:04
I've heard 114 of these and recognize several more. The ones that aren't familiar look interesting. I'll keep my eyes out for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>