Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many albums do you recognise/own?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many albums do you recognise/own?
    Posted: November 19 2018 at 08:55
Hi, I'm new on this forum and here's a collage of some prog rock from my personal iTunes collection. Just curious as to how similar my tastes are compared to other users here. Here's the hi-res version of this collage: https://ibb.co/eaqri8

Edited by acemachine26 - November 19 2018 at 08:58
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:19
That's quite a collage! You and I have 53 albums in common. Some of the more unusual ones are Gracious, Quiet Sun, and Maxophone. You even have a few titles I want to get, and I sure that if you saw my collection I would have some you would be interested in. My total collection probably numbers close to 5000 but not all of those are Prog.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:23
I believe I own 81 of those, though I recognize many more than that. It's quite an eclectic selection.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:36
I own 83 albums you have listed here. I noticed ... no Tull!

Edited by progmatic - November 19 2018 at 10:37
PROGMATIC
acemachine26 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:37
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

That's quite a collage! You and I have 53 albums in common. Some of the more unusual ones are Gracious, Quiet Sun, and Maxophone. You even have a few titles I want to get, and I sure that if you saw my collection I would have some you would be interested in. My total collection probably numbers close to 5000 but not all of those are Prog.
That's great to hear! My total collection including non-prog stuff is around 3000+. I also listen to a lot of jazz/jazz fusion, krautrock, zeuhl, ambient, new wave, Brazilian MPB/tropicalia, classical/minimalism, funk, soul, afrobeat, old school hip-hop etc.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:38
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I believe I own 81 of those, though I recognize many more than that. It's quite an eclectic selection.
Woah nice!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:39
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I own 83 albums you have listed here. I noticed ... no Tull!
Not a big Tull fan although I've only listened to Aqualung and Thick As A Brick.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:42
You are talking about a digital collection and not a physical media collection?

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:43
I heard 154 and own 38. In many cases I own other albums from the same band, or had a copy in the past, or they've been on my wishlist for a while.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

You are talking about a digital collection and not a physical media collection?

Both, I own every album in the collage either on vinyl or my digital library. Probably have 25-30% of the albums shown on vinyl.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:49
77 in my music library, more I recognize ... I share a lot of the Zeuhl!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:51
I have 89 of these from my collection of about 1100 albums.  Quite an interesting and well rounded collection Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 19 2018 at 10:53
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:58
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

77 in my music library, more I recognize ... I share a lot of the Zeuhl!
Nice, I LOVE Zeuhl. Hope to see Magma live for the first time next year in London.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I have 89 of these from my collection of about 1100 albums.  Quite an interesting and well rounded collection Wink
Wow nice! Is that 1100 prog albums or various genres?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:01

35 out of these. No Zeuhl fan here.

Edited by SteveG - November 19 2018 at 11:03
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:29
I've got around 98 of those including pretty much all the RIO, Zeuhl, Italian & Canterbury. Nice collection, you'll fit in fine around here :)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:01
I've had 202 of these - but probably down to 140 or something 
Jherek6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jherek6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:04
I have 35 that I could identify, all on vinyl and at least half duplicated on cd.  I'm old school, like to have something I can peruse while listening.  
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:09
Own about 40.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:10
124 of them for me....and it is an eclectic collection.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>