Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma: Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma: Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
    Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:34
So long to jazz rock, hello Zeuhl!

Edited by SteveG - November 19 2018 at 11:36
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 12:40
Although its a masterpiece their jazzrockin' Zeuhl days is closest to my heart... Magma was Zeuhl from the first note of their debut album mind you. 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:42
It's definitely a masterpiece. Actually my favorite album by them, and I like several of 'em at this point. For a while it was my favorite album over all, when I was meditating to it every day. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:06
Their weakest album. Pretty boring long chant and not well recorded. 1001, Kohn, Wurdah, Attahk, Wudu and even Merci are a lot better imo
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 03:42
^ The third from Magma is a real "love it or hate it" deal and that seems to be the ones I really like to post!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 05:08
For me there's no way around admiring an album so unique and original (at least when it came out), where somebody really tries out a really new and fresh approach - and succeeds. I like it also apart from the originality factor, though it took me some time to get into it.
At some point I wanted to call my band Mekanik Destrutiw Komandöh, best band name ever, I thought, but then I figured out that somebody else already had used that idea.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 06:14
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

At some point I wanted to call my band Mekanik Destrutiw Komandöh, best band name ever, I thought, but then I figured out that somebody else already had used that idea.
Shocked What?

LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 07:08
I used to be really into MDK, but I don't listen to it so much anymore. The Magma studio albums that I tend to return to the most are Kobaia (my fave), 1001 Degrees Centigrades, Wurdah Itah, and Attahk.

When I listen to MDK, I tend to turn to the version on Retrospektïẁ I-II. Love that, especially for "Theusz Hamtaahk", but "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh" off it is also excellent.

And I can't not post this:

GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 11:50
One of my favourite albums... But wurdah itah and köhntarkösz can reach to the same heights.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:42
love the album..  hell love them all.  But zero patch on the brilliance of the debut which IMO is neck and neck with ELP for having the single greatest prog debut album (in the category having any sense of a career and more than a couple of albums)
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 11:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

love the album..  hell love them all.  But zero patch on the brilliance of the debut which IMO is neck and neck with ELP for having the single greatest prog debut album (in the category having any sense of a career and more than a couple of albums)

Which rules out Yes, Genesis, Rush and King Crimson immediately Tongue
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 11:56
Oh, and MDK is one of my favourite albums of all time.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 11:28
In my opinion, it is the best Magma album ever released.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 07:58
Like all Magma, it's fun. 
 Post Reply Post Reply