Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hamilton: An American Musical as Various Genres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hamilton: An American Musical as Various Genres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton: An American Musical as Various Genres
    Posted: December 18 2018 at 07:01
Hi,

I'm not sure this would be a good consideration for inclusion in PA, under any of the "Progressive" or "Prog" definitions.

I'm not against the inclusion and working of other disciplines and mixing things, and there is quite a bit of "rap" in a lot of the music listed here, even if sometimes, it seems like a "show" a lot more than it is an honest "go", but in the end, bridging that difference between a musical and some Progressive groups is a bit tough. 

It is very similar to the fact that a "musical", is, often, not even considered "classical music" at all, and even going back quite a few years, when WEST SIDE STORY threw that question into some serious discussion, but in the end, it failed. It is appreciated, but the dance and music in it is very adventurous and it probably deserved more than "HAMILTON", and it didn't get it.

Something similar, would have been Bob Fosse, and a few of the world renown dancing folks that were making the rounds in the late 60's and 70's by creating stuff on the stage that was insane and totally experimental and it included some of the music, not all of it, which I think was the problem, but even PF failed with a Ballet in Paris, and I think the reason for that is the mentality of the rock audience, not necessarily that the whole thing was crap, and badly designed ... the idea was magnificent ... the selling point for it, was stupid and out of line, and it should have let audiences know it was a classic music styled piece, not a concert by Pink Floyd ... and obviously the audience felt ripped off and ripped the show, the idea of which, from a "TRIP" perspective should have been great, but rock audiences are not known for their acceptance of the most classical of musical pieces, and ELP had that problem, DP had that problem, RW had that problem even with a select audience, and many other examples.

I do consider, things like "HAMILTON", total and pure entertainment, and while it is a very well done and performed piece, in many senses, it is not a work that demands more attention than a cursory look, and most of us here, in the Progressive mold of things, would probably get bored by the 3rd song, and how nice it is in the music, but how un-original it is all around in the whole thing.

I like the cultural mixes and experiments, but a Broadway show, is not my idea of what great music and theater, or film, things are ... too much entertainment if you will ... but then, try telling that to a metal fan or a "prog" fan when they go to hear their favorite guitar slashing show!

It's the same thing, isn't it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 03:00
Didn't generate any discussion.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Baphomet6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baphomet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 00:43
So... It means that's not gonna happend? haha
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 12:50
That's gonna be a tough sell, but I didn't know it was originally conceived as a concept album.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Baphomet6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baphomet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 12:12
Hamilton: An American Musical is a sung- and rapped opera through historical musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton with music, lyrics, and a book by Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Originaly concived as a conceptual album
Hamilton received a record-setting 16 Tony nominations, winning 11, including Best Musical, and was also the recipient of the 2016 Grammy Award for Best Muscial Theater Album  and the 2016 Pulitzer Price for Drama.
Incorporating hip hop, R&B, pop, soul, traditional-style show tunes. Also using the leimotiv ressource from Wagner, were a melody or in this case a frase, is associated with a particular person, place, or idea.
I find some interesting moments in the musical that i think could be considered as prog influenced. Definetely a really incredible and innovational album, so I suggest it to be added in Various Genres/Artist or in Prog Related. What Do you think?

First song of the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhinPd5RRJw

Another great songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQt1RRW_xv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic7NqP_YGlg&list=PLV78EPlNCZ5B1vHkRicCAdpbDqZ1DpLgM&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JR0ApUALOQ&list=PLV78EPlNCZ5B1vHkRicCAdpbDqZ1DpLgM&index=8

Post Reply Post Reply