Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs that have great VOCAL melodies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 04:44
Area - Cometa Rossa
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdinKtm0Ark
E per tutti il dolore degli altri č un dolore a metā
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 05:53
^ Adore Area.

Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

I would like some (preferably) song and album (which are acceptable, but I have less time to devote to them) suggestions with this topic's title as criteria.
Background: I am a singer myself, so I love vocalists who can show their talent off, and blend with/enhance the actual instruments of the song, but I hate when a really good song instrumentally is ruined by bad vocals/unmemorable vocal melodies. Please refrain from mentioning the well-known vocal-talented bands (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, even VDGG who is one of my favs despite varying opinions), and I would like 70s bands' songs, as you might tell from my username. Thank you in advance, as I am 18, and grateful that the people who lived through those glory years, and who have the memory to provide these young ears with the obscure, yet still amazing, music, are willing to be a resource for great recommendations!

A couple I would like to nominate, which I found on my own:
"Beautiful Scarlet" - Rare Bird
"Don't Make Me Cry" - Tonton Macoute
"Sorrow" - Lucifer's Friend"
"Autumn" - Twenty Sixty-Six and Then

I like the songs that you've listed.

Beggars Opera's "Silver Peacock" comes to my mind.

An album that springs to my mind is Khan's Space Shanty. I'll nominate "Hollow Stone" as a representative from it.

And while from the 60s (close enough to 70s) Colosseum. Will go with "Butty's Blues"

I'm no vocalist, but when I think of great vocal vocal melodies, I often think of Prog Folk. So I'll mention Linda Perhacs' "Parallelograms" , and while maybe not a Prog Folk artist, Nick Drakes' "Riverman" (which may be my favourite song of all time, but I suspect that the vocals would not be strong enough for you). For Folk, More akin musically to the bluesiness of what you've listed, I do think that Jan Dukes de Grey's Sun Symphonica is awesome, but vocally may leave something to be desired, and you may think really off-base. :)

Edited by Logan - November 21 2018 at 05:58
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:38
I'm sure everyone knows them, but King Crimson has some great vocal melodies. One of the things that makes them great is amidst all the experimentation, there's actually a really nice song going on most of the time. Just listen to songs like Epitaph, The Court Of The Crimson King, Exiles, Lady Of The Dancing Water, Starless... The list could go on but those come to the top of my head first.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Queen's earliest work, check this song from Queen II! 

Great song. I was actually going t suggest the whole "Queen II" album, since the vocals are magnificent in every song.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:59
Great posts!!

Some of my faves:

Someone Else - Queensryche
The Wall - Kansas
Shesmovedon - Porcupine Tree
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Ripples - Genesis
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:21
Carpet of the Sun or Ocean Gypsy - Renaissance 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:53
I forgot mentioning Uriah Heep. From "Look at Yourself" on, they had great vocals, specially during the David Byron era. Some songs that come to mind are Tears in My Eyes, Seven Stars, Sweet Lorraine, The Magician Birthday and many others.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:58
Just about any Renaissance song starting with Northern Lights.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 10:09
The vocal melodies that readily spring to mind come from:

Transatlantic - Duel with the Devil
Dream Theater - Surrounded (or anything from Images and Words for that matter)
a second for Kansas - The Wall (or most anything from Leftoverture)
Fates Warning - We Only Say Goodbye (or most anything from Parallels)
Asia - Bury Me in Willow
Jethro Tull - Rainbow Blues, Black Sunday
Rush - Manhattan Project

And while I'm not a Beatle fan, I have to throw in the very cool vocal melody from Got to Get You Into My Life
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 10:39
These make my knees wobble every time I listen to them...

Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness / Tales of the Inexpressible / Shpongle

Le Gardien / Novo Sub Sole / NIL

Both are female singers. The latter is in French.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 11:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Just about any Renaissance song starting with Northern Lights.
It's true, The combination of Annie's voice & Betty Thatcher's lyrics is pure magic!
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 12:00
VdGG - Everything peter hammil made.
Magma - Wurdah Itah.. live the women choir parts mostly but the others arenīt too bad either.
Oh and its incredible fun trying Arbeit Macht Frei from Area. Or other area yoddlings. Their melodies are brilliant.
Italian Prog in general is a very good place to search for great vocal melodies.. Palepoli...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:50
And You And I
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 15:28
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

And You And I

Agree, wonderful vocals, but the OP specifically excluded Yes
Songs cast a light on you
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 21:17
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

If you haven't heard Renaissance, then that. And I know you said 70s but Iamthemorning is well worth a try. All live instruments and not metal either, especially the album Lighthouse.

Indeed, Iamthemorning is beautiful for great vocal molodies.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 08:17
Rush - Subdivisions, amomg Geddys more heart felt vocal melodies
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 08:48
So many Tull songs have exquisite melodies....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 11:06
Salmon Boots - Uberband Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 13:41
Wonderful vocal melody:

The Weaver's Answer - The Family (Entertainment)
Happyness Is a Warm Gun - Beatles, John Lennon (White Album)
In The End - Peter Hammill (Chameleon)

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 19:21
I always think of this beauty by Kerrs Pink, even if the vocals are no very strong.  One of my favorite melodies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>