Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Concerts 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Concerts 2018
    Posted: November 23 2018 at 12:27
Nik Bartsch Ronin (x2) - top of his game with minimalist modern jazz that grooves and grooves

Bent Knee - saw them twice this year, once in support, when headlining at Sinclair put on a terrific show.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Big Ears - Stunning show, grooving driving post rock, really grabs you and hangs on, most players in dark with film projection behind the band.

Jaga Jazzist - Big Ears - heavy funky electronica big band jazz, took a couple of tracks to lock in but man they tore it up for 45 minutes with the whole crowd grinning and bouncing around.

BANGS (Jason Morans, Mary Halvorson, Ron Miles) - Big Ears - contemporary modern jazz, really beautiful stuff, really shone, loved it. 

Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesore - ProgDay & RIO - stripped down line-up with French Horn more present, new material is really good.

Chromb! - RIO - tight, loose, heavy, fast turn on a dime rock/jazz with lots of humor

PinioL - RIO - loud heavy fast, bonkers, fun. Pretty much full on for their full set, exhausting but superb.

Free Salamander Exhibit - RIO - a terrific performance full of theatrics, energy, fast moving changes and crunchiness. Loved it

Jean Louis - RIO - experimental avant jazz with loads of distortion and effects, superb
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 13:17
Zero concert for me in 2018.

First time in 30 years.

I'm done encouraging the entertainment industry mafia.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 15:29
Only made two this year - Bent Knee et al. and The Piedmont Park Jazz festival.  Various artists.  New discovery that I bought a CD from - Lao Tizer.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 17:25
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 17:52
Lots of concerts, but my favourites were Camel and King Crimson. Both excellent.
Songs cast a light on you
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

oh yeah.. I remember you posting that earlier this year when the tour was announced...  I assume it was as kick ass as the line up suggests it might be? 

Don't suppose you did a write up/review of that did you?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 09:56
Been to 10 shows this year (Camel were FANTASTIC in Warsaw), plus played 83

Looking forward to see Sir Paul The Beatle in Krakow and Uriah Heep in Kyiv soon!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 17:04
I think I've seen about 10 this year, all good. The top prize would probably just about go to King Crimson. I have a special non-prog prize for the Sacrificial Floors performance by Tetsuya Umeda, Dirty Electronics and  Tim Shaw. Music that is too progressive to be prog... well actually one could call it a performance or sound installation rather than a concert for about 30 people audience. Look up some Tetsuya Umeda videos on youtube if you're interested in what I'm talking about. It's amazing!
Still coming up: Sonar & David Torn.

Edited by Lewian - November 24 2018 at 17:04
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 17:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Still coming up: Sonar & David Torn.

They were terrific at ProgDay.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 20:08
Indeed... the Swiss clockwork that is Sonar and free flying chaotic David Torn make for a fascinating contrast. Each part brings the element that the other part needed.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 09:18
Astrodome (April, Porto) - First concert in (what seemed like) a long while. To present their second album they played the whole thing with a trippy animation of the cover.

Gouveia Art Rock: Steve Hackett, Camembert, Bent Knee (May, Gouveia) - I wrote a full review here, no point in repeating myself.

Mars Red Sky (July, Leiria) - The band was fine but it was more worth it for the visuals.

Mother Engine (July, Coimbra) - Part of a free music festival on a beach. They played psychedelic epics for a dozen of people, since most fled when they started playing.

Sonicblast Moledo: Causa Sui, Samsara Blues Experiment, Astrodome (August, Moledo do Minho) - I had a ticket for both days but only went to the first as I was already tired and satisfied. Causa Sui was one of the best concerts I've ever seen!

Camel (September, Lisboa) - I felt bad for missing their concert in 2014 but made the effort this time. It surpassed my expectations and enticed me to look out for their more recent albums.

Acid Mothers Temple (October, Coimbra) - It took me a while to realize what exactly happened then, but looking back it was a night to remember.

Anna von Hausswolff (November, Coimbra) - Fantastic band on a perfect location, a gothic convent turned into a concert venue. Spellbinding vocals, huge sounding drums and hypnotic atmospheres.

Kikagaku Moyo (December, Porto) - I'm loving their new album and it's always great to see them. It's impossible not to feel good.

Edited by Meltdowner - December 21 2018 at 09:19
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:41
A mix of prog and non prog

1) Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets - stunning
2) the Stranglers - solid as always with an amazing setlist
3) Nile Rodgers - probebaly the tightest band I saw this year
4) Australian Pink Floyd - the addition of stuff off Obscured By Clouds and Atom Heart Mother was a joy
5) Idles - intense, intelligent and cathartic.
6) the Blockheads - rivalling Nile Rodgers for the tightest band prize, simply brilliant
7) Peter Hook - a real eye opener

There were many other bands, but these 7 were memorable and special.

Edited by enigma - January 03 2019 at 13:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 14:30
Steven Wilson - He's getting so much better live and the visuals are excellent. 
Ninet Tayeb (support) - She is amazing stage performer with Joplin persona, she killed it.
Bent Knee (support) - Surprisingly very good.
Haken - I very much enjoyed the show, but I was expecting more. They are hinging on a thrash metal band with prog influences, almost too much metal for me. The drummer Hearne killed it for sure.
Leprous (support) - Again, very good and I was surprised. Very dark performance with blue back lighting and screens.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:51
1. Arena - May - Gothenburg
2. Gary Numan - December - Gothenburg  
3. Draconian - January - Klarlstad
4. Priest + Zona Incerta - September - Karlstad
5. Cruachan + Mĺnegarm + Ereb Altor - January - Karlstad
6. Graveyard + Hällas - November - Karlstad
7. Tribulation + Henrik Palm + The Coffinshakers - November - Karlstad 

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 13 2019 at 10:52
record collector View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote record collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 11:45
Sweden Rock Festival in the southern part of Sweden 6 - 9 June, 2018.  Heart

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:46
Originally posted by record collector record collector wrote:

Sweden Rock Festival in the southern part of Sweden 6 - 9 June, 2018.  Heart

Brilliant line up.....WTF was Yes doing there, they need money that bad?? LOL

Girlschool, crazy, saw them back in '82 w/Scorpions and most were not too kind to them on stage. Would like to see Circus Maximus.
Wife and I will have to travel to one of these one year.......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:10
King Crimson . 3 drummers and prog heaven
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 17:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

[QUOTE=record collector]

Brilliant line up.....WTF was Yes doing there, they need money that bad?? LOL

I don't quite understand your comment about Yes. Why wouldn't or shouldn't they be there?  
 Post Reply Post Reply