Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What are your thoughts on the current state of Roc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are your thoughts on the current state of Roc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are your thoughts on the current state of Roc
    Posted: November 24 2018 at 00:27
While I enjoy listening to a wide variety of music genres I've always enjoyed rock music the most. Growing up I remember being able to see rock music videos on all of the music channels and we had multiple radio stations in the city that played nothing but new rock. I went to see countless rock concerts in big arenas with huge crowds. All of that now seems to be gone. All of the strictly rock radio stations have died out. The only one we have now only plays older music.  < ="text/">1337x When rock < ="text/">KissAsian  acts come < ="text/">MangaStream through town now they are usually in a small bar or pool hall. Is this common in other areas? Is rock music just dying in popularity? What do you think caused that? What do you think it will take to bring it back?

I know rock isn't dead. I still listen to it and discover new bands through last.fm, spotify etc. There is a lot of really good rock music still being made... it just seems to have fallen completely out of the mainstream. I always wondered if it had something to do with the increase in popularity of screamed vocals in hardcore and post-hardcore? For a while that seemed to have taken over the "rock" scene and I'm guessing that type of music isn't really radio friendly. The popularity of those styles seem to be fading somewhat as well in recent years. Do you think that is going to open the door for a more traditional rock revival?

Edited by Divinejames - November 29 2018 at 03:08
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 09:50
Well..I would ask what you consider 'rock' these days. Can you list a few bands that you believe fill that genre..?
I still listen to the classic rock bands when in the mood but rarely buy anything from the newer groups.
I honestly can't think of a current new band that interests me in that area.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:03
Originally posted by Divinejames Divinejames wrote:

While I enjoy listening to a wide variety of music genres I've always enjoyed rock music the most. Growing up I remember being able to see rock music videos on all of the music channels and we had multiple radio stations in the city that played nothing but new rock. I went to see countless rock concerts in big arenas with huge crowds. All of that now seems to be gone. All of the strictly rock radio stations have died out. The only one we have now only plays older music. When rock acts come through town now they are usually in a small bar or pool hall. Is this common in other areas? Is rock music just dying in popularity? What do you think caused that? What do you think it will take to bring it back?

I know rock isn't dead. I still listen to it and discover new bands through last.fm, spotify etc. There is a lot of really good rock music still being made... it just seems to have fallen completely out of the mainstream. I always wondered if it had something to do with the increase in popularity of screamed vocals in hardcore and post-hardcore? For a while that seemed to have taken over the "rock" scene and I'm guessing that type of music isn't really radio friendly. The popularity of those styles seem to be fading somewhat as well in recent years. Do you think that is going to open the door for a more traditional rock revival?

my thoughts.... always got some of those

and I think you are spot on man. Rock is not dead, perhaps it is as 'popular' form of music. 'Popular' musci if you will is still very much under what little remains of the big industry and they ain't pushing it nor supporting it other than a very few big name holdovers from years and decades past.

However rock music is thriving today... but it has gone underground. It is thriving in small clubs, local juke joints. Not filling stadiums. The days of rock stars owning fleets of vehicles and being pop culture stars are gone, and doubt it really will come back. However for those who play for love of the music, not looking for meal tickets to escape the drudgery of actually working for a living, it is still a very vibrant and rewarding branch of music.

and yes.. I do think the progressive end of rock music drives that...  my thoughts aren't simply my own.. they are formed in part with talking with some the very musicians that are out there making and playing that music.

Edited by micky - November 24 2018 at 10:05
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 11:41
^ Care to name a few modern rock bands that are keeping rock alive......?
;)

Edited by dr wu23 - November 24 2018 at 11:42
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 21:14
At the risk of repeating myself, I enjoy this 2018 release from New Zealand....posting a promo video and a studio performance for two vibes.

Crank it up loud!

Edited by Finnforest - December 01 2018 at 21:15

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 00:18

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Edward_Julius_Detmold49.jpg
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply