Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that you find very generic and boring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums that you find very generic and boring
    Posted: November 25 2018 at 05:33
A little different post, list and explain why the albums that you choose are souless and generic at best, and what lacks in them in your perception.
I begin: Rush - Moving Pictures means nothing to me, the songs looks too generic, cheesy, looks like the type of music that would go in a Guitar Hero game, just classic rock without nothing original or new to the table, the voice of Geedy Lee for me sounds VERY harsh and unpleasant, but in this album his voices sounds even more unbearable to me, but there are Rush albums that i really appreciate like Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and 2112, they sound much more original and concise all around.
So, what albums you really find boring and simple at best?
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 06:25
Court
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 06:30
got to go with anything by Camel haha..  the archtype of generic boring 4th division prog...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 07:49
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

A little different post, list and explain why the albums that you choose are souless and generic at best, and what lacks in them in your perception.
I begin: Rush - Moving Pictures means nothing to me, the songs looks too generic, cheesy, looks like the type of music that would go in a Guitar Hero game, just classic rock without nothing original or new to the table, the voice of Geedy Lee for me sounds VERY harsh and unpleasant, but in this album his voices sounds even more unbearable to me, but there are Rush albums that i really appreciate like Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and 2112, they sound much more original and concise all around.

I agree with you about Rush---although I like some of their songs very much--I'm in the minority but think Grace under Pressure is their overall one of their best albums because it is what they do best--big power stadium chords with lot's of catchy verse- chorus. Also agree with Camel---Big smile but I also think of generic when I think of lots of American prog like Kansas. 
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 07:50
Havenīt heard enough camel.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:04
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

Wow. I get not liking Rush, and I can even get not liking Moving Pictures. I certainly get not liking Geddy's voice. Given all that, I can get being bored.

But that boredom sure as hell doesn't come from the album being "generic." Every last cut is about as un-generic as it gets. Whether it's odd time signatures, new and unique chord progressions, long song forms, insanely technical playing and execution, or unusual lyrical content, that album is totally unique; was so at the time of its release and remains so to this day.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:56
I tend to get bored with those heavy metal guitar super heroes that put out solo albums like Malmsteen and Vai when all of the tracks sound too much the same, just a lot of fast riff jamming without any emotion, and the spotlight is only on their guitar and no other instrument.  Just one-dimensional.  Yeah they might be talented, but they are also boring.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:59
A much revered band- Can.
       I've tried, but I find them dull as dishwater, sorry. For me,  they don't go places, musically.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 09:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

got to go with anything by Camel haha..  the archtype of generic boring 4th division prog...
I felt the same way, until I heard The Snow Goose by them, and I got into that record, surprisingly, quite a bit.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 09:33
Big Big Train - Grimspound.  My reasons are in this review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1940239
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 09:56
Most of Neal Morse's solo stuff, most prog metal, Echolyn, and a few others.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 10:53
Enchant 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 10:54
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

A much revered band- Can.
       I've tried, but I find them dull as dishwater, sorry. For me,  they don't go places, musically.

Boring, okay, to each is or her own, but do you find them very generic? I think of Can as quite groundbreaking. Maybe they sound more generic these days since they have influenced so many. It took me some time to warm up to Can (Ege Bamyasi was my first favourite), but I really dig their groove.

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I felt the same way, until I heard The Snow Goose by them, and I got into that record, surprisingly, quite a bit.

I love the Snow Goose, both the studio version and on A Live Record. I find that Camel sound very uninspired to my ears into the late 70s and up (quite like Nude though). A lot of Prog acts I think turned insipid in the late 70s through 80s and instead of trying to challenge audiences become more overtly commercial. For instance, Renaissance I find more tragic than "Majik" in Time-Line and other albums, and so is Caravan with The Album and others.

I actually get some enjoyment from that music.

Quite a few turned more AOR at the time....

Edited by Logan - November 25 2018 at 10:56
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:07
Not sure how to apply "generic" to my choices. But zeuhl/Magma is boring to tears as well as RIO and avant prog. Zappa fits my boring definition to a T.

RIO artists can also be very boring music, just really no excitement IMO. I have a lot of albums in these genres and I never play them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:13
Hmm..generic prog seems like it would be an oxymoran. But all rock groups, save the Beatles perhaps, have fallen into mediocrity at times and that's what really fosters boredom, doesn't it?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:14
^^ Its interesting how differently we experience music. To me Zeuhl can build up very excitingly, such as with Eskaton (my first Zeuhl love).

To me this is kick-ass.

That said, there often is lot of repetition in Zeuhl, and that could bore many.

Edited by Logan - November 25 2018 at 11:18
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

But zeuhl/Magma is boring to tears as well as RIO and avant prog.

Same here: Zeuhl is one thing that you really have to sift through to find something you may like (like Weidorje). 

Avant is really hit-or-miss, too. For every Ahvak, there's tons of...well, we'll just call it stuff. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:33

Wow. I don't like everything Camel's done (not a fan of The Snow Goose or Harbour of Tears), but to call them 4th-tier is harsh. Rain Dances is a splendid record (it was my first, and remains my favorite of theirs), and later albums Breathless, Stationary Traveller and Rajaz are very cool. The very first album's good, too.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:41
another negative thread...
why do people like this kind of thing I do not understand
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:49
I don't get why so many people complain about it or even question it, to be honest (that can bring another level of negativity for me). These threads can be fun and even enlightening as long as one is not overly close-minded and is open to re-evaluation and other opinions.

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

But zeuhl/Magma is boring to tears as well as RIO and avant prog.

Same here: Zeuhl is one thing that you really have to sift through to find something you may like (like Weidorje). 

Avant is really hit-or-miss, too. For every Ahvak, there's tons of...well, we'll just call it stuff. LOL

Avant Prog is really eclectic. For me most of the categories here are hit or miss (I guess Canterbury, Indo-Prog/Raga Rock, Zeuhl and Krautrock are amongst the most consistently good categories for me). I love Weidorje and similar music from Paga, but I guess that would be one of the first bands one would check out when delving into that category (Eskaton too for that matter).

I like albums in all of the categories at PA, despite having favourite categories. Always good to try to keep an open mind and open ears and try to expand ones tastes by going out of one's comfort zone, I think. Took a while (Well, I have had many years at this site), but I'm glad that I've found music that interests me and that I can say positive things about in all of the categories here. Perhaps I;m just not as discerning as some.

Edited by Logan - November 25 2018 at 11:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>