Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that you find very generic and boring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 12:51
Definitely i agree with dr wu23 after vulture culture alan parsons project really went bland and predictable kudos to dr wu23

Edited by grantman - December 04 2018 at 12:52
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 15:20
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Definitely i agree with dr wu23 after vulture culture alan parsons project really went bland and predictable kudos to dr wu23

Vulture Culture? Some might say after Eye in the Sky or Turn of a Friendly Card. Actually some might even say after Irobot. :) 

I guess everyone has their own cut off point just like with Yes and Genesis. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 15:23
I was being generous to Alan's music...
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 16:11
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Mary Fahl is very talented, listened to some YT stuff. Reminds me of Lee Douglas, excellent vocalist...where both are weak is in visual performance. If you watch some of the new Anathema videos you see Lee trying to "dance" and she looks worse than Elaine on Seinfeld LOL.

I've seen Anathema a couple of times now, and for the first time I saw them I would agree. When I saw them last year for The Optimist tour, Lee really stood out with her presence. Not only was she singing more (and not stuck to just groovin' with the rhythm in awkward fashion), but she had lost a lot of weight, was dressed in cool black garb, and was sporting a stylish ponytail. For live gigs,  image means a lot, and she not only sang great as usual, but it was kinda hard for me to take my eyes off her...such a visual improvement.

Poor Danny Cavanagh was looking really big though since I saw them first in 2013. It's like he's been scarfing down all of Lee's dinners for the past couple of years.LOL

LOLLOL
I have yet to see them live, we don't get many artists like them to Seattle. This area is a massive classic rock and hard metal base. If Metallica and Maiden played here every month, they would sell out each time.......I love Maiden, but once every 2-3yrs is more than enough for me.

On YT it was noticeable that Lee was looking more slim.........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 16:24
Releasing the prog ball and chain, might help some enjoy those albums by 70's artists that had/chose to change their music direction some to get studio time (and money) in the 80's.

I think had they kept waving the old prog flag into the studio in the 80's......They would still be waiting for studio time. I don't call it selling out, but rather changing with the times and exploring different paths.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 16:49

I have yet to see them live, we don't get many artists like them to Seattle. This area is a massive classic rock and hard metal base. 

I was completely unfamiliar with them (Anathema), thank you for the lead.  
Yes, you have to really keep your eyes open in the PNW to catch people IF they make it this far west.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 18:09

Releasing the prog ball and chain, might help some enjoy those albums by 70's artists that had/chose to change their music direction some to get studio time (and money) in the 80's.

I think had they kept waving the old prog flag into the studio in the 80's......They would still be waiting for studio time. I don't call it selling out, but rather changing with the times and exploring different paths.

Rush managed to do that without selling out.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 20:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Vulture Culture? Some might say after Eye in the Sky or Turn of a Friendly Card. Actually some might even say after Irobot. :) 

I guess everyone has their own cut off point just like with Yes and Genesis. 

Well that would just be silly; missing out on two great albums Pyramid and The Turn of a Friendly Card.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 20:40
I lost interest when they hit it big with the beyond boring "Eye in the Sky" song, though "Time" from the much better TOAFC album planted the seeds for that banality.  BUT  when I recently listened to the whole of "Eye in the Sky" with the bonus versions of that ridiculously catchy opening instrumental, I found the album grabbed me much more.  It was like the whole thing was looped and packaged around that opening number and its various resurgences.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 20:44
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Big Big Train - Grimspound.  My reasons are in this review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1940239

I couldn't disagree more than what you say about this album, but hey, it comes down to personal taste. What you find pedestrian and boring I find captivating. Nothing is going to change the fact that you don't like this album and I find it one of their best.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 21:07
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

TFTO isnt LONG enough in my opinion.

I love this!  Tales should have been a triple album with 6 songs Handshake

I'm in.
In fact, with a bit of imagination, you can tee them up like this and pretend.  Wink

a) Close to the Edge
b) The Revealing Science of God

c) The Remembering
d) The Ancient

e) Ritual
f) The Gates of Delirium

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 00:03
Tales would probably make a decent sidelong medley - I'm kidding. I notice those who love it often think its one of the greatest albums ever. Maybe one has to be a bigger fan of Yes than I am to begin with to actually be willing to immerse oneself into those soundscapes. Even the material I "love" by them rarely resonates with me emotionally - its more about enjoying the rollercoaster-ride. They were certainly one of the most impressive bands ever in popular music, but somehow I prefer hundreds of less impressive bands. I guess Tales is just not that relevant to my interests so it will never click with me.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 08:54
Everybody needs to buy the Tangent...A place in the queue...The sleve notes say it all...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 09:17

Everybody needs to buy the Tangent...A place in the queue...The sleve notes say it all...

Are you saying The tangent is boring or generic? To me it's one of the few bands labeled (usually sarcastically) "retro-prog" that I enjoy. And there aren't that many...

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:12
No im saying that what Tillison has to say about TFTO is spot on. Read the cover notes of the brilliant CD...a place n the queue....
2112luminol View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2112luminol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:57
Dark Side Of The Moon, It's a very good album but Pink Floyd did so much better throught their career.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm in.
In fact, with a bit of imagination, you can tee them up like this and pretend.  Wink

a) Close to the Edge

c) The Remembering
d) The Ancient

e) Ritual
f) The Gates of Delirium

I was recently thinking the exact same thing Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:31
Originally posted by 2112luminol 2112luminol wrote:

Dark Side Of The Moon, It's a very good album but Pink Floyd did so much better throught their career.

This album is neither boring nor generic, although I can agree they did better material. WYWH to me is the seminal Pink Floyd album, just like DSOtM it is a very complete album.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 20:38

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm in.

a) Close to the Edge

c) The Remembering
d) The Ancient

e) Ritual
f) The Gates of Delirium

I was recently thinking the exact same thing Thumbs Up

I may try this next time I have a Yes-fest....one pair each over three daysBig smile

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 06:32
A conservative estimate of PA listed music that I have listened to and find boring and generic is about 75%. And thank goodness. I'd go broke and have no time for anything else if I was excited about anymore of the 56000+ albums here. That percentage is dwarfed by the amount that precipitates the same response across other musical genres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>