Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s scifi concept album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s scifi concept album
    Posted: November 25 2018 at 09:05

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:00
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:15
I can't help but thinking of 2112: the concept of side 1, the time of release and the album cover match quite well with the description you give.
rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:55

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:00
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 12:12
doesn't ring a bell off the top of my head... but if it comes to me and no one else has thought of it... I'll be sure to post it.  Stupid question but one that must be asked..

have you checked the database.. sounds like a one off album and in the past we in the genre teams were particularly notorious for knowing, finding and eventually adding the very obscure to the database.  You might find it there if you haven't looked already.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 13:03

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:02
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 14:40
Mandalaband?
PROGMATIC
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 14:58

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 15:15
Originally posted by rgodfrey53 rgodfrey53 wrote:

Thanks. It definitely was a one-off. I'll see if I can find anything in the database. If I come across it I will post, but I would still appreciate any responses.

Thumbs Up you do have me curious...  I may see if I can help find it for you. Perhaps knowing how to work the database better than you might. I'll post if I get a hit on anything.

hopefully like the last one we had here.. you haven't spent decades trying to find this LOL You actually felt sorry for the guy...  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 15:20

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 15:45

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:03
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 15:51
^ decades huh?  Ouch.. been there with selling off the album collection.. at least yours went to a good cause.. like trying to survive...  mine just went to finance my attempts at personal self destruction.

Keep the info coming...   Sherlock MickBigDick is on the case..  I'll see if I can dust off my old research talents (been retired from the site for some years) and see if I can help find it.  You did tickle my curiosity.

Edited by micky - November 25 2018 at 15:52
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:00
god DAMN am I good.. oh I am...  but I think I found it...  let me get the info and see if this was it..
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:03
nope.. that wasn't it...  darn...   back to it. Had the cover and a 'corporate' sounding name.. and late 70's to fit the timeframe... but it was some fking Xmas album and I don't think that is what you are looking for haha
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:11

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:03
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ decades huh?  Ouch.. been there with selling off the album collection.. at least yours went to a good cause.. like trying to survive...  mine just went to finance my attempts at personal self destruction.

You can never have enough beer nuts. LOL 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:16
yeah... sorry about that.  next time I'll say something only when sure.  I've gone through the English labels, large and small that I know of from back then, and haven't seen anything that fits.  You say you think this could have been a french or german release or are you pretty much certain it was an english release.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:28
My competitive juices are flowing and if there is one thing I hate doing...is losing. I am a worse loser than I am a winner. So I'm going to keep at this this evening however...

another thing or avenue you might consider.. go to the single smartest and most knowledge man in existence when it come to prog rock.

he is also a real sweetheart of a man..ie you wouldn't be putting him out by asking and has helped me find and get the obscure and the rare many times. If there is anyone would might recognize it even from the little you are giving to go on he might...

Try Greg Walker over at Symphonic Records..  I suppose this is only stage 1 of your battle.. stage 2 would be finding it if you can and he might be able to help with both.

his email is at the bottom of that page. Do let us know if you do find it before any of us might.

Edited by micky - November 25 2018 at 16:30
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:31

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:04
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:49
Just spitballing here, a couple unlikely possibilities with the criteria you mention  ~

Down in the Park  -  1979, by Tubeway Army w/ Gary Numan
"Lyrically the song crystallized the dystopian science fiction concept that was the basis of the Replicas album. Heavily influenced by such writers as J.G. Ballard and Philip K. Dick, it tells the story of a futuristic park in which Machmen (androids with human skin) and machines rape and kill human beings to entertain spectators who, along with their numerically-named robotic "friends" ("Down in the Park, with a friend called Five"), view the carnage from a nearby club (Zom Zoms) ".
Ditp2.jpg

Blows Against the Empire  -  1970, A collaboration of Paul Kantner, Jerry Garcia, CSN and others
"The album is a narrative concept album that tells the story of a counter-culture revolution against the oppressions of "Uncle Samuel" and a plan to steal a starship from orbit and journey into space in search of a new home. The original vinyl release is divided into two album sides".

JS Blows-Against-the-Empire.jpg

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 17:01
^ his original LP was an 'import' David.

which gave me an idea...  I remember having a mid 70's import stamped copy of Bo Hansson's Lord of the Rings.  Needless to say when I needed the need to try kill myself more than listen to that absolute gem of an album... it got offloaded..and I got loaded hahah

but later I did manage to find it on CD.. which gave me a clue to look. For old 'import' LP's reissued later on CD.

I am getting some interesting hits based on this CD label. Krautrock related.. is a VERY broad term to a very broad genre.

let me post this link and perhaps you might recognize it ... you can narrow it down to jazz, or elecronic.. again.. Krautrock is a very broad diverse sounding genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>