Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s scifi concept album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 10:51

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:14
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 19:10
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

If we're flinging around ideas, I might as well admit that one of the first things that came into my head was the Hawklords album '25 Years On'. It was a one-off, was British, had a monotone (though not dark) cover, and was (apparently) about a huge corporation running everything:

"The entire concept found it's epitome in the accompanying tour-booklet... a huge futuristic mega-trust named PAN-TRANSCENDENTAL INDUSTRIES, that lined out it's futuristic techno-economical visions of the entire planet's future... - based on it's own word of the "industrialisation of religion"

- from Knut Gerwers site

And they even had an (admittedly small) logo on the front cover, with the phrase 'Reality you can rely on'

But it also had 'Hawklords' scrawled across the cover in shocking pink, plus considering the level of obscurity you've already eliminated, I doubt you'd have missed this.

God I loved that song "Psi Power", which got a lot of airplay on the Carleton U radio station in Ottawa at the time.  Is the rest of the album good?
rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 14:33

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:14
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 15:54
i know not a prog band and all the songs are not about space but BOSTONS debut album and KANSAS MONOLITH are in opinion, are space /concept albums 70,s
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 17:06
I’m thinking you’ve imagined this whole album up
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 03:25
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

God I loved that song "Psi Power", which got a lot of airplay on the Carleton U radio station in Ottawa at the time.  Is the rest of the album good?

Well it's Robert Calvert singing with a 70's incarnation of Hawkwind, so it's never going to be bad :) - that being said it's not as good as 'Quark' or 'PXR 5' on either side of it, but if you don't mind the more stripped back new-wavish style and production, yeah, it's good. 'PSI Power' is definitely one of the best tracks, but 'Age of the Micro Man' and '25 Years' are keepers, too. There's nothing bad that I can remember on it, though 'Flying Doctor' has Calvert indulging his obsession with comedy and aircraft again, in a way which fans of Brock's cosmic seriousness may not find appealing!

Yeah, I like it. 
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 03:43
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

i know not a prog band and all the songs are not about space but BOSTONS debut album and KANSAS MONOLITH are in opinion, are space /concept albums 70,s

Funny; I remember 'Boston' coming out, but I'm pretty sure I've never listened to it, hence didn't know it was a concept album.

Funnily, I saw this album cited just a couple of hours ago on a list of bestselling albums. There is the little matter of it having gone Platinum 20 times, which probably disqualifies it from being obscure Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 11:39
Boston's debut isn't a concept album. It consists of songs that had existed at the time for many years, some under different titles, as the band had operated pre-contract under a different name (Mother's Milk). The songs were all re-recorded versions of those that circulated on the band's submission demo to various labels.
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 11:55
 Space Guerilla by MISSUS BEASTLY album cover
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 12:53
Why did rgodfrey remove his posts?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 21:18
Probably coz he had us all on lol 😂
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 21:56
Wasn't there an R Godfrey from the group "The Enid".  He was the guy who arranged the orchestra on the early BJH albums, and sued the band for compensation when they finally achieved commercial success without the orchestra.  He lost.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 23:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Probably coz he had us all on lol 😂

Possible:  "You can't believe how obsessive these people are, you should've seen them bust ass to find an old record album!"

Or he suddenly realized the whole thing is all in his imagination.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 11:25
What if we're the ones imagining this whole conversation?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 12:47
It is really odd that he’s removed his posts.......
Social experiment perhaps ??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 14:05
maybe he realized that the album was something of his dreams and never existed, and was embarrassed?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 14:41
^ That's certainly a possibility.  Or he found it and, as with many fond memories, it turned out to be not so great in the light of day.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 15:49
^ He still should let us know.......and he’s most likely reading this thread as we go along.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 11 2018 at 15:50
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 15:58
It's probably destined to be one of those Prog Archives mysteries that will never be solved. The insoluble album conundrum becomes an insoluble vanishing poster problem!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 16:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ He still should let us know.......and he’s most likely reading this thread as we go along.

I don't know, he hasn't visited since Sunday.

Edited by Atavachron - December 11 2018 at 16:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>