Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s scifi concept album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 21:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ But let's face it: concept albums are silly, juvenile, outdated and frankly dull-as-hell formats.   It's a fun idea, but no one wants to sit through an hour or more of bad literature and retarded poetry.   Give us some friggin songs.

Congratulations. With one fell swoop you insulted not just war of the worlds but also Tommy, Lamb, Topographic, Days of Future Passed, Thick as a brick, Passion Play, Six Wives, Journey to the center of the earth, Myths and Legends, The Wall, Animals, Dark side of the Moon, almost every Alan Parsons Project Album and probably countless others. Confused 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 25 2018 at 21:22
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 22:12
I'm funny that way.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 23:52
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

It was a great time and a wonderful tour behind A Passion Play. Saw it at the fabulous Forum in Los Angeles.And I remember it being played on LA radio in it's entirety upon release.

Lucky duck (erm, swan).   First Tully I saw was for... wait for it... Under Wraps !   That's right, my virgin JT experience was with an odd and patchy little LP, and they weren't real keen on doing oldies that night the little bast*rds.   Later tours were better, CoaK was excellent and Rock Island and the Anniversary tour were both very good.

Hmm, the L.A. Forum?   Huge place, saw AC/DC and Yngwie Malmsteen there in '86 .

Edited by Atavachron - November 25 2018 at 23:53
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
orac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 02:34
Hi

Could it be this? Gammapolis by Hungarian band Omega.There's an English and a Hungarian version. Good album too!

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 05:11
Omega ? They're the last band I would have thought of...
rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 05:18

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:06
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 05:25

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:07
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 06:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

It was a great time and a wonderful tour behind A Passion Play. Saw it at the fabulous Forum in Los Angeles.And I remember it being played on LA radio in it's entirety upon release.

Lucky duck (erm, swan).   First Tully I saw was for... wait for it... Under Wraps !   That's right, my virgin JT experience was with an odd and patchy little LP, and they weren't real keen on doing oldies that night the little bast*rds.   Later tours were better, CoaK was excellent and Rock Island and the Anniversary tour were both very good.

Hmm, the L.A. Forum?   Huge place, saw AC/DC and Yngwie Malmsteen there in '86 .

Yes, it is big...among the many venues of LA, one of the largest we regularly went to.  Loved the Shrine Auditorium, Long Beach Auditorium and Santa Monica Civic when we could see bands in the smaller ones and the Long Beach Fox (I think Fox)  Theatre put on quite a few good shows as well.  I saw JT first on their Aqualung tour and did see the Anniversary tour, which was very good, in agreement there.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 06:40
Originally posted by rgodfrey53 rgodfrey53 wrote:

My first Tull concert was the Thick as A Brick tour, performed in its entirety, with the entire Aqualung album as an encore. Amazing. And I'll never forget the forty foot tall Ian Anderson, although that bit may have been chemically inspired. Wink
  First for me was the Aqualung tour...Yes, those screens began appearing everywhere about the TAAB era.  Made The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles very much fun on the PP tour, however.  I never was disappointed by any JT show, big screens or not.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
cedo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:00
Hello!
Allow me join the search...sometimes time mix our memories...
Intergalactic Touring Band has back cover with exact picture that is looked for, logo of company on dark surface in 3D, maybe it was something you remember of?

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:04
I do but I don't have a copy or have more than a vague memory of it...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:24
Originally posted by cedo cedo wrote:

Hello!
Allow me join the search...sometimes time mix our memories...
Intergalactic Touring Band has back cover with exact picture that is looked for, logo of company on dark surface in 3D, maybe it was something you remember of?

Here is a description of the album:

Clicking on More Images, you can see the back cover here:
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
cedo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:24

this is link (if I properly entered it, don't know how to place a picture)

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:26
To tide you over perhaps...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SyxYLxJJ34

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:30

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:34

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 07:09
Hi,

Not worth checking or going after it ... I looked at my collection and thought of Nektar (Recycled) and then Seventh Wave (Things to Come) ... and then ... just went back to listening to Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream ... even checked Larry Fast ... but thought it might be too far out. Then I wondered about Yellow Magic Orchestra but that was way too far out in left field.

The whole question was way too generic and meaningless for me ... even The Cosmic Couriers were a "concept", even though it is now written that it was so because they were all too stoned to know the difference, but none of them admit that the music that came out of it was neat and well done. And very nice to listen to. Quite enjoyable ... but telling folks that it was not a "trip" is bad and deflects the idea of what a "trip" can be for anyone else.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 07:33

cedo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 08:16
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

To tide you over perhaps...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SyxYLxJJ34

Well, I had to check up what "to tide somebody over" means...English is not my mother tongue...

To maintain, sustain, or support someone through a lean or difficult time until more of something is acquired

OK, I got it...I'm listening to tSJ5 now...still I'm listening to...well, I finished...
Interesting, but not quite my cup of tea...I liked more instrumental parts than vocal parts.
Nice artwork, NASA illustrations...and yes, NASA InSight lander landed successfully last night on Mars, well done, InSight!

Here is something in return, from past times, from this part of world, fusion or jazz-rock with ethnic elements (the group name "Leb i sol" means "Bread and Salt").

Best regards!
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 02:08

Dark album cover from mid to late 70's with a kind of 3D logo... it'd better not be 'Godbluff'  LOL

How did you work out the concept of the mega corporation that had taken over the world/universe?  Was this from some actual text somewhere on the album cover, or was it more like you intuited it from the artwork and/or title?

How high is your degree of confidence that it was Various Artists?

Is there one or more aspects of your memory which stand out as particularly salient - that you are more confident about than the others?

This would have come out right when I was discovering non-mainstream music and prog, and it sounds so much like something I would have paid attention to.  It's hard for me to believe I missed it unless it was very obscure. But I bet lots of people feel exactly the same way about this...

Edited by Braka - November 29 2018 at 02:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>