Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A different (prog) band and the struggles...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A different (prog) band and the struggles...
    Posted: November 25 2018 at 10:50
Hi all,

well, I'm delighted a forum like this exists! And I actually found it while I was "browsing" for live opportunities for my band.

here is my question, and I hope I am not in the wrong place. How to get in touch (with a positive non-spamming attitude) with festivals and venues where progressive is fine? My band play a very happy/quirky form of rock n roll with a lot of elements of prog rock and everytime we go live it's always a party, especially for those ones there waiting for some progressive with an upbeat approach.

Any name? Any of you behind the scenes?

Fully open to suggestions!

ps. my band is the Happy Graveyard Orchestra...
belatarr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belatarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 09:34
I'm sorry no one has responded yet. I'll give you a hint: A lot of prog fans are an elitist and snoby bunch with no real intentions of helping or promoting new bands or actually embracing musical progression in the bands they like (most of them want their favorite bands to keep sounding and playing like they did back in the 70's). It's a sad state of affairs this prog movement nowadays. 

I would suggest you contact Greg Walker. He's a seller of metal and prog vinyls and cd's and is very well connected and he's a great guy. Look for his website Synphonic and shoot him an email. Other than that, just create an entry for your band here and your albums and write a first review so they appear on this website's radar. 

I'll add your albums to my Apple music collection and give them a spin for sure. Good luck man! 

Edited by belatarr - December 12 2018 at 09:38
Ricardo Otero Jr.
HappyGrave View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 04:32
thanks a lot for your answer :) a very good one, with some of my "fears" confirmed...

going to get in touch with Greg Walker soon and yes, I will list and entry for my band (how do I do it? sorry for being a newbie on this)

and great! thanks for listening to my albums, hope you like them!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 05:28
Despite what belatarr says, some prog fans care a lot about live music. I see you're in London whereas Gregg Walker is in the US. There are a few venues that have prog bands, I would have suggested The Peel in Kingston as the best place for you but it sadly closed a few years ago.
May I suggest the following -
1) buy a copy of Prog magazine and see where bands are playing
2) check out the web sites of some "local" prog bands such as I Am The Manic Whale to see where they are playing.
3) perhaps get in touch with Guy Manning of Manning and Damanek fame as he is a forum member and might be able to help you out.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 05:35
Originally posted by belatarr belatarr wrote:

A lot of prog fans are an elitist and snoby bunch with no real intentions of helping or promoting new bands or actually embracing musical progression in the bands they like

Wow, Ricardo, still entertaining that bad attitude ... what a pitty !
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 10:10
I don't know why but I believe my band and the Manic Whale shared already a stage somewhere in UK as the name sounds familiar :)

I will follow your advices, thanks!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 10:23
Anyway, the thing about checking where other (prog) bands play somehow... doesn't really work. First because I obviously know where (at least in London) good music happen, second because being unsigned, "sending a CD" (or a spotify link) goes nowhere. It's the live scene dying, plus it's very very difficult nowadays to get the ear with so much good music out there, especially from the past. Anyway, I go on - who cares :)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 10:52
There are plenty of us here who actively seek out new prog music and yes, sometimes we are snobs but to deny yourself the experience of new music is to deny life itself. I'd love to hear your band's music. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 12:49
This shows why it's important to keep reaching out even if you don't get a response at first, and not just in some thread but in the rest of life.   No one really cares unless you do, and sometimes you have to go "Hey--  I'm here and I'm kinda freakin' awesome".

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 14:25
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

There are plenty of us here who actively seek out new prog music and yes, sometimes we are snobs but to deny yourself the experience of new music is to deny life itself. I'd love to hear your band's music. 

Search for "Happy Graveyard Orchestra" wherever you prefer (spotify, youtube, etc.)

I do explore new music continously... it's just fun!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 14:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

This shows why it's important to keep reaching out even if you don't get a response at first, and not just in some thread but in the rest of life.   No one really cares unless you do, and sometimes you have to go "Hey--  I'm here and I'm kinda freakin' awesome".

i agree 100%. I've been doing it non-stop, along with a normal life that does not really help. And yes, sometimes you have to show off. An humble approach is not always the best, although a touch of kindness helps too.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 14:29
Thumbs Up
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
belatarr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belatarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 08:13
To be honest I don't know, I've never created a new band entry, sorry :/ Looks like it worked, people finally answered here. Good luck! 
Ricardo Otero Jr.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 11:50
"The Moon Rabbit" is an awesome tune, guy!!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 00:14
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

"The Moon Rabbit" is an awesome tune, guy!!!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, it's one of my favourites too, if not THE favourite! (you may also like "Dracula", then)
Happy Graveyard Orchestra! (yes, a new band)
 Post Reply Post Reply