Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Univers Zero: Univers Zero (Aka 1313)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Univers Zero: Univers Zero (Aka 1313)
    Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:15
The  great debut from Univers Zero and album I play when I want to explain Rock In Opposition to someone. 

Edit: Thanks to T-cat for reminding me to post this thread by reading his great review of this album that he posted today.

Edited by SteveG - November 25 2018 at 12:36
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:21
It's my particular favourite UZ album, and it is one of my favourite albums period.

EDIT: By the way, may be inappropriate to mention here, but since it might not come up in conversation between us again, while I remain ultimately agnostic on all things (I'm very liberal in that way), having looked more into Trump and his family's history, I am very certain that he is not just an opportunistic bigot, but a genuine racist.

Edited by Logan - November 25 2018 at 11:31
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 13:28
This lp came to me many years back, by accident, as a vinyl import lp from the States on Cuneform records- I was totally ignorant of who or what Univers Zero were at that time.. and I was totally and unexpectedly blown away by this lp and it remains my favourite by them; it opened a door for me that (for some reason) I knew was there but had been avoiding going through..

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 19:13
Scratched my head for a moment. You mean 1313 of course, though it was actually untitled. Fabulous album. Heresie is my favorite, but that's splitting hairs, the first is one is really wonderful.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 00:10
Incredible album -  one of the stongest debuts ever released. So unique and exiting. It doesn't really require attentive listening as the music gives you no choice but to consentrate once it starts anyway. Something similar to Malaise simply didn't exist before 1313 - it doesn't really compare to Henry Cow, 73-74 King Crimson or Bartok (while to my ears, regarding the latter - Art Zoyds debut from the year before actually do compare) although those were inspirational sources.

UZ hardly released anything not worth having but they gradually got less unique ditching bassoon, pocket cello, harmonium and spinet while adding guitars & synths - becoming more "generic" avant rock (of very high quality)... Which is an unfair claim as they practically invented this approach to rock and its the armada of samey sounding bands after them I should blame.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - November 26 2018 at 00:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 07:42
I got to know this one only very recently, having started with UZ somewhere in the middle of their oevre. Although the debut is not their highest rated album, I am very impressed by it, maybe more than by what I had known before, and that says a lot (time will tell). Particularly there is a certain compositional tightness and discipline in this one that I hardly find anywhere else in non-classical music (and this even includes Art Zoyd who have the closest approach and of whom I'm a big fan for 30+ years). 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 13:40
Crazy music for crazy people.

(I love it.)
 Post Reply Post Reply