Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headphone reco's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headphone reco's
    Posted: November 28 2018 at 06:29
It's got to that time when I need to replace my headphones, looking for something over ear, sound dampening and comfortable for long periods. Ideally less than $300. I've had good experiences with Sennheiser & Audio Technica historically.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 07:30
A friend who's a sound technician tells me these are the best headphones he's heard, although they are over your budget.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 09:08
My over the ears phones are Grado SR60 e a consumer reports recommendation.  Earbuds with reasonable bass are hard to come by but I have found a couple of pairs that pass.  Unfortunately I have a bad habit of shorting out the plugs, grrr.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 10:21
audio Technica ATH M-50's. 

A great studio monitor sound that is more neutral than anything else and it is only 120$ CAN. Great value for the money. 

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 . ( these are a bit over 300 but if you don't get the wireless version you will save a bit of cash .)

Bower and Wilkens-- P3's or P5's . These are both a bit more higher end but at the end of the day you get 26 years of acoustic research out into these babies .I believe the P3 goes for around 299. 

All these headphones fit at a great budget cost . they are all easy to drive even direct out of a cell phone. I think these are the best cans I know that are under 400$  

Hope this helps . I know it is not easy headphone shopping. So many brands out there. 
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:45
^ I would have to agree with Nick on the ATH-M50s.  I have the little brother, ATH-M40, a slight less in the bass area than the M50s, but I love them.  Both are closed back, over the ear and do a good job of sound isolation of the outside world.

If you want wireless, I also have the Senns PXC-550 and are pleased with those as well.  The also have noise cancellation feature which you can turn on or off.  Closed back also.  You can get them now for under $300.

So many to choose from!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 09:40
What did you end up getting Ian?

If you haven’t yet decided then I’d recommend the awesome hd 630vb from Sennheiser. I’ve often seen them on sale and they go for quite cheap somewhere around the 2-300$ mark...well at least here in Europe.
Anyway they come with bassport slots meaning you can adjust the amount of bass you want out of your music...or just find your ideal setting and forget about it. Funkadelic fx likes a bit of umphh.

Cheaper rec? KRK KNS 6400/8400.
Practically daylight robbery as far as I’m concerned. Super lightweight, extremely detailed, comfy as slippers and they sound as good as any closedback I’ve heard. They are practically identical aside from the 6400 being more neutral whereas the 8400 has more bass. I own the latter and absolutely adore it. I believe I paid a little over a hundred dollars for it. The 6400 is 99 or less which is just ridiculous.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 18:27
Hi all!! Happy New year!! 

Some great recs up above .

Myself. Thinking of maybe getting a pair of COMET iems from ALO Campfire Audio. 

They are 120$ I think they are a steal in broad daylight as well. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply