Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Progressive Electronic: Determining proggy-ness
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Electronic: Determining proggy-ness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naglefar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Electronic: Determining proggy-ness
    Posted: November 30 2018 at 23:46
As a fan of both progressive rock (obviously) and electronic music, I always wondered what basis electronic music was evaluated on to determine how progressive it is. Is it unusual time signatures? Tempo changes? Instrument ensembles?

I'll listen to certain album, none I'll explicitly mention, and say to myself "man that sounds pretty damn progressive, it's all over the place!" and then find it has a 3.12 rating. 

Now I know these are all opinions and everyone has different tastes, but it still surprises me sometimes to see stuff I think is progressive and has a sub-par rating.

Please don't think of this as a rant, because it's not. Just an observation. Maybe I'm just a jackass (probably).

Feel free to elaborate. Discuss. Critique. Flame.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 11:41
I can't comment too much on electronic music because it's not really my cup of tea, but albums don't necessarily get good reviews for being progressive. Also, I think the main criteria for being progressive is doing something that hasn't been done before, rather than musical complexity. Perhaps weird time signatures, tempo changes and different instruments appeal to people looking for symphonic prog or other subgenres, but not necessarily progressive electronic.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 13:37
Progressive Electronic is definitely a different animal.  I agree with what ForestFriend says, that it is probably more to do with the fact that it is innovative, especially in that category.  I have heard some Electronic music that I thought for sure I would find in the Archives, and then it's not here, or on the other hand, heard artists on the site that I wonder how they got here.  Not really sure, but I can't say much since it is a somewhat new category for me seeing as I didn't really get into it much until about 10 years ago.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 18:54
"Progressive Electronic" doesn't necessarily involve complexity. Tangerine Dream was all over the map in the '70s, engaging in Krautrock (first album), psych, experimental, and proto-ambient before finally settling on what would become known as Berlin School for Atem, Phaedra, and Rubycon. And then they did another about-face and did full-on progressive rock with electric and acoustic instruments, along with their keyboard-synthesizer arsenal, on Stratosfear, Cyclone and finally Force Majeure (1979, and their last record of the decade). In-between, their double-live Encore (1977) and their acclaimed soundtrack Sorcerer were genuine forays in Berlin School.

Johannes Schmoelling joined Tangerine Dream and beginning with the live album Quichotte aka Pergamon (recorded in East Berlin), the trio ventured into territory by which most would know them for, recording a string of albums and film scores with the latest synthesizers of the day (PPG and other manufacturers would let TD use their prototypes in turn for valuable feedback). Much of the music they made from '80-'85 qualifies as P-E, with no shortage of stylistic variety and sequencer action.

Klaus Schulze's output has been much more consistent, i.e. Berlin School, but no less prolific throughout the years. Like Tangerine Dream, he plateaued in the '80s and dropped some albums that weren't up to the usual standard. They had less to do with the albums being "progressive" (because these were artists working in a format they had continued to refine for many years) and simply more to do with the music itself just not being up to par.

Vangelis is categorized as "crossover" but he has a few albums that IMO are firmly electronic prog, like the underrated Direct (1988) and, yes, his legendary score for Blade Runner. His 70s albums like Heaven and Hell, Albedo 0.39, and Spiral are keyboard-dominated, naturally, and move between symph and P-E due to the incorporation of acoustic drums, real bass guitar and other instruments. But labels aside, Vangelis' repertoire is nothing short of tremendous.

Jean-Michel Jarre is a bigger question mark for me, personally. I own and enjoy several of his albums, but I don't like his stuff as much as I did in the '80s. Some of it's great, some of it's vanilla.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 19:11
And to make things even more difficult, a ton of them drift into ambient music and back again too! The definition of `prog-electronic' has become quite fluid and seems to be constantly evolving, but so long as it is atmospheric and has long keyboard-based pieces that are intelligent and challenging, then it's all worthwhile and interesting!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 19:12
And let's not forget the USA's own contributions to the genre, like the inimitable Larry Fast, aka Synergy. Clap

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 19:13
Suzanne Ciani.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 19:13
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

And to make things even more difficult, a ton of them drift into ambient music and back again too! The definition of `prog-electronic' has become quite fluid and seems to be constantly evolving, but so long as it is atmospheric and has long keyboard-based pieces that are intelligent and challenging, then it's all worthwhile and interesting!

Indeed. I didn't want to post any ambient electronic examples. 

I would post Wendy Carlos' "Timesteps" from the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange (1971), but Carlos doesn't allow her material to be exhibited on YouTube.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 19:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Suzanne Ciani.

I just found this on youtube yesterday Clap
Naglefar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naglefar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 21:05
Good points all around. 

I always just assumed it was such a broad and limitless genre that its really impossible to categorize anything. Most of the electronic stuff I listen to tends to be more progressive, based on the widely used concept of progressive music, but it's much too complex to really narrow it down completely.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 00:20
It's a good question.   Electronic is or was by nature progressive, adopted by rock artists, and before you knew it . . .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 07:37
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It's a good question.   Electronic is or was by nature progressive, adopted by rock artists, and before you knew it . . .

Hi,

I always thought that "electronic" did something different and was NOT looking at rock music to expand its horizons.

I do think that the new instruments helped some, since everyone is trying to figure out what to do with these (sometimes)  weird and bizarre sounds, and figure out how to incorporate them into some music, which was not as simple as some early synths did not exactly have a keyboard per se!

As an instrument, being born, growing and maturing, there probably isn't one that is as progressive and experimental as the synthesizer/electronic area has been for a long time, although these days it seems like a place like this only seems to know synthesizer folks that do songs! The days and ages of experimenting and learning are gone ... sort of!

Progressive/Prog grew out of a desire to expand the ability of the known music out there, specially the top ten, with longer pieces of music, and music that was better written, instead of it just being a riff and some incidental lyrics over it. I would almost say, totally, that "electronic music" (progressive or not) has more of a sound board in film and classical music as it is designed, and sometimes defined, by its longer excursions into atmospheric areas of "sound", something that we do not allow the daily music and top ten things to come anywhere near it!

Determining what is progressive or not is difficult, as the criteria is not clear and undefined in a way that makes sense within the context of music history ... right now, the definition of "progressive" anything is not even giving a damn about music and its place within a linear context that would help make the music more "concrete" in its history, instead of some fly-by-night thing that had a blue guitar, or some church organ on stage that did leaps and bounds, and some stage fireworks that got everyone excited! THAT, is not about the "music" per se, but teasing you into thinking that it is special (as a show, yes!), and valuable in the music itself, and it isn't more often than not!

It's best, for my tastes, not to define things and just love music as it is ... in the end, the saddest thing here is that these rock fans, can not appreciate a Menuhin/Shankar duet and think that dueling thrashing guitars are what "prog" or "progressive" is all about when those two together created some excitement in the theaters that had the fat old ladies screaming on the way out ... "... all that improvisation, how can you call that music!..." (true fact from the Chicago show I saw, the same night we saw Richard Kiley in Man of La Mancha).

You just don't know, how scary that is, and unsavory ... a mountain of perfume and makeup, being the person that "decides" what is right or wrong in music ... and sometimes, I feel like that is what I fight here ... it's not even about the choices (most are OK), but the fact that most folks do not engage in positive/experimental listening experiences, to have an idea of what they are really saying ... and at that point it's all "my favorite" and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with music!

And few, in here, clear that even more, to help make what we do here, even more important and valuable, while also teaching, what so many schools can't ... you should know that almost no music department out there in most universities considers just about everything we talk about anymore than just crap, and low level, uneducated music!

I fight that every day, including here!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 10:14
It's a good question. There have been many "prog: progressive rock genre with certain characteristics" vs. "truly progressive music" discussions here, and "progressive electronics" probably sits uncomfortably between the two. According to its characteristics, sound, absence of rock instruments, it can be quite different from what one could call "mainstream progressive rock", even more so than much avantgarde/RIO. That it is even listed here is a testimony to the fact that, despite some claims of the opposite, "prog" as covered here is open to quite some innovation and progression even if it ultimately leads away from the rock element. Except that all too progressive experimental electronic music would probably not be listened here if its aesthetic is all too far out. (I don't think Art Zoyd would qualify for inclusion on the basis of the sound of Champ des Larmes or Pure Noise, just to give a somewhat inappropriate example; these albums are actually listed, but I guess that's because of AZ's earlier merits and RIO membership; similarly Tangerine Dream's Zeit).

So there's a weird "it needs to be progressive enough but not too progressive" about the "progressive electronic" category which indeed seems very hard to evaluate. Chances are it also has to do with culture and social systems;  Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze etc. were properly embedded in the Kraut/progressive rock community; musicians that seem too academic regarding the people that surround them like, say, Eliane Radigue, rather won't be listened (arguably she's too far away from rock aesthetic anyway, but that also applies to Zeit, Champ des Larmes, some Asmus Tietchens etc.). 

Properly being progressive of course is not about time signatures and complexity, it's about pushing the borders; "mainstream progressive rock" on the other hand can probably be defined by such characteristics. Surely at some point in their career Tangerine Dream and others in Progressive Electronics have pushed the borders. Do they qualify because of that? I'm not so sure but fine by me if they do. Now rating is obviously an entirely different matter because chances are that if you push the borders too far from what people who love much of mainstream progressive rock like, only a minority will appreciate it here; there's the tension between being progressive and having the standard characteristics of prog rock.  A primary example is Tangerine Dream's Zeit, at the same time very progressive and not progressive at all (in the sense of "sounding like prog rock"). Given that this is so, 3.68 is actually a rather respectable rating, probably owed to the fact that many here who really wouldn't like it wouldn't even listen past the first 10 minutes and then rather not rate it than rating it low.

Great link to Suzanne Ciani by the way, wasn't aware of her.

Edited by Lewian - December 02 2018 at 10:18
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 11:45
Suzanne Ciani's career in synthesizer sound design began (at least) in the early '70s, but she didn't begin to release albums until 1982, the first being the splendid Seven Waves. 

After the follow-up, The Velocity of Love, Ciani's music turned down a much more "easygoing" New Age path, till she finally "rediscovered" her love of the piano. The music she recorded for a while (say, the next fifteen years!) probably wouldn't interest most people here.

But a few years back, Ciani re-embraced synthesis with a newfound fervor; with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, she recorded Sunergy (2016).

A recent performance.

I didn't even know of this upload!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 11:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

She has an amazing history...worked for Don Buchla stuffing boards for $2 an hour until she could afford one of his synths and went on to become (with Pauline Oliveros) one of the first female electronic music pioneers.  I was excited about this youtube link because the only solo Buchla recording I'd heard was Morton Subotnik's "Silver Apples of the Moon", which is historically important, but I much prefer Suzanne's approach.

If you're curious about the whole East Coast Moog vs West Coast Buchla 60's evolution (including a lot about Suzanne and her fellow electronic music pioneers) I'd highly recommend the excellent book, "Analog Days: The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer" Wink

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 11:51
Speaking of Ciani and Subotnick:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 12:09
^ excellent Thumbs Up

Very interesting her comment how the keyboard "hijacked" electronic music and took it down a different path.  The book I mentioned takes you back to a time when Moog decided to add a keyboard and it created this Buchla vs Moog conceptual war.  Moog obviously won on the commercial front since subsequent synth manufacturers overwhelmingly took his keyboard as a controller approach and it became the standard...yet Buchla won the hearts and minds of academics and non-commercial composers not wanting to be limited to 12 note per octave tuning.  It's also my understanding that the Buchla somehow incorporated probability theory into it's mode of operation, meaning it didn't just play a sequence it was told, but could change parameters based on various conditional settings (I've never even seen one so don't know the specifics).  I believe Suzanne mentions she'd turn her Buchla 200 on at night and let it run for hours...in the morning it would be playing something completely different than when she left it Wink

Anyway, a fascinating time to learn about especially since Keith and prog were at the forefront of bringing synth to the world.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 02 2018 at 14:18
Naglefar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naglefar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 15:04
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

It's a good question. There have been many "prog: progressive rock genre with certain characteristics" vs. "truly progressive music" discussions here, and "progressive electronics" probably sits uncomfortably between the two. According to its characteristics, sound, absence of rock instruments, it can be quite different from what one could call "mainstream progressive rock", even more so than much avantgarde/RIO. That it is even listed here is a testimony to the fact that, despite some claims of the opposite, "prog" as covered here is open to quite some innovation and progression even if it ultimately leads away from the rock element. Except that all too progressive experimental electronic music would probably not be listened here if its aesthetic is all too far out. (I don't think Art Zoyd would qualify for inclusion on the basis of the sound of Champ des Larmes or Pure Noise, just to give a somewhat inappropriate example; these albums are actually listed, but I guess that's because of AZ's earlier merits and RIO membership; similarly Tangerine Dream's Zeit).

So there's a weird "it needs to be progressive enough but not too progressive" about the "progressive electronic" category which indeed seems very hard to evaluate. Chances are it also has to do with culture and social systems;  Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze etc. were properly embedded in the Kraut/progressive rock community; musicians that seem too academic regarding the people that surround them like, say, Eliane Radigue, rather won't be listened (arguably she's too far away from rock aesthetic anyway, but that also applies to Zeit, Champ des Larmes, some Asmus Tietchens etc.). 

Properly being progressive of course is not about time signatures and complexity, it's about pushing the borders; "mainstream progressive rock" on the other hand can probably be defined by such characteristics. Surely at some point in their career Tangerine Dream and others in Progressive Electronics have pushed the borders. Do they qualify because of that? I'm not so sure but fine by me if they do. Now rating is obviously an entirely different matter because chances are that if you push the borders too far from what people who love much of mainstream progressive rock like, only a minority will appreciate it here; there's the tension between being progressive and having the standard characteristics of prog rock.  A primary example is Tangerine Dream's Zeit, at the same time very progressive and not progressive at all (in the sense of "sounding like prog rock"). Given that this is so, 3.68 is actually a rather respectable rating, probably owed to the fact that many here who really wouldn't like it wouldn't even listen past the first 10 minutes and then rather not rate it than rating it low.

That's a great point. Tangerine Dream and Ash-Ra-Tempel started their careers in Krautrock, so their shift into electronic music was without a doubt going to contain some hints of progressive rock, albeit subtly in most cases.

Lesser known musicians that plunged themselves into electronic music from the get go tend to lack those archetypal elements found in rock music. "Blackouts" and "Ricochet" feature a generous helping of guitar in an otherwise ocean of synthesizers and sequencers.

Moral of the story; generally it is quite hard to categorize electronic music into a single genre, let alone rank it based on its progressive elements. Just listen to what you like!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 19:12
Originally posted by Naglefar Naglefar wrote:

That's a great point. Tangerine Dream and Ash-Ra-Tempel started their careers in Krautrock, so their shift into electronic music was without a doubt going to contain some hints of progressive rock, albeit subtly in most cases.

Lesser known musicians that plunged themselves into electronic music from the get go tend to lack those archetypal elements found in rock music. "Blackouts" and "Ricochet" feature a generous helping of guitar in an otherwise ocean of synthesizers and sequencers.

By and large, the music of Ash Ra Tempel/Ashra and Manuel Gottsching is largely guitar-centric. Ashra has always more or less featured live drums, too (Harald Grosskopf, who also indulges synths and percussion programming, and has recorded solo). The propulsive sequences on Correlations are up-mixed, but Manuel's guitar is right there chugging away as though two locomotives are racing to see who reaches the terminus first. IMO, Ashra's classification in the Archives as P-E is for lack of a grey area between that and Krautrock, though the 15-minute bliss-out "Code Blue" on Belle Alliance is a stunning ambient piece.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 19:14
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

^ excellent Thumbs Up

Very interesting her comment how the keyboard "hijacked" electronic music and took it down a different path.  The book I mentioned takes you back to a time when Moog decided to add a keyboard and it created this Buchla vs Moog conceptual war.  Moog obviously won on the commercial front since subsequent synth manufacturers overwhelmingly took his keyboard as a controller approach and it became the standard...yet Buchla won the hearts and minds of academics and non-commercial composers not wanting to be limited to 12 note per octave tuning.  It's also my understanding that the Buchla somehow incorporated probability theory into it's mode of operation, meaning it didn't just play a sequence it was told, but could change parameters based on various conditional settings (I've never even seen one so don't know the specifics).  I believe Suzanne mentions she'd turn her Buchla 200 on at night and let it run for hours...in the morning it would be playing something completely different than when she left it Wink

I spent all morning listening to Ciani operate the Buchla 200E, and I tell you, amigo, that was the soundtrack to Heaven! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>