Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

French Lyric Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Lyric Prog Recommendations
    Posted: December 01 2018 at 14:18
Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my French lyric prog collection and am wondering if anyone could recommend some bands I don't already know about.  Since I've used the PA database search function for "France" over the years to find many of these, I'm thinking there may be some Quebec bands that sing in French that I likely don't know about.  Anyway, here's the French lyric bands I already have explored: 

Ange
Arachnoid
Atoll
Carpe Diem
Elohim
Et Cetera
Halloween
Memoriance
Mona Lisa
Nemo
Nil
Orion
Pentacle
Plat Du Jour
Pulsar
Quadra
Ripaille
Skryvania
Synopsis
Vent D'est
Versailles

I'm specifically interested in anything in the symphonic, eclectic, neo, heavy, electronic or psych/space genres, any release year is fine...Thanks!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 01 2018 at 14:19
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 15:37
go with my 2004 prog album of the year...  you can't miss with this gem. It gets the 100% Micksatisfaction guarantee with the recommendation.

Maldorer - L'Arbe-Cimetiére

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 23:49
hmm do you like prog folk?  If so, several bands come to mind - the venerable MALICORNE and the more modern MOTIS.    Less proggy but very well known are GILLES SERVAT and TRI YANN.  

I'm not that familiar with Nil but THORK seems to be an offshoot.  Apparently each of their albums is quite different.

Edited by kenethlevine - December 01 2018 at 23:51
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 00:47
Seven Reizh, when you're in for a package deal that also includes Brezhoneg, English, Taqbilit and maybe a bit of German.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 02:39
Lazuli.
Thork. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 07:16
One French lp ive had for years is one called 'Le Voyageur immobile' by Bahamas.. its more in the 'Art rock'/ 10cc vein with some symphonic elements.. I thought I was going to stick it on Ebay but played it again and really rather liked it
Image result for bahamas le voyageur immobile

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - December 02 2018 at 07:17

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 07:49
Just dare to open the Quebec box full of the most wonderful treasures

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 07:50
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my French lyric prog collection and am wondering if anyone could recommend some bands I don't already know about.  Since I've used the PA database search function for "France" over the years to find many of these, I'm thinking there may be some Quebec bands that sing in French that I likely don't know about.  Anyway, here's the French lyric bands I already have explored: 

From Canada?

CANO (Au Nord the Notre Vie). I think they were from Ontario ... 

I was also thinking that if you ever expanded beyond just "French", France had more than one active language and that things like Alan Stivell, really should be mentioned here, were it not that we're so in love with the imagery that ... that ... that ... (I dislike the cardboard images!) .... and these mixes are sometimes tough on the ear, but they are original and sung in English, Celtic and sometimes French. And many times way more "progressive" than we would care to look at, since it has a knack for mixing many different flavors of music, from rock, to jazz to symphonic. And that is something that "prog" or "progressive" does not really do, except have a "sound" ... that supposedly makes it X, or Y, or Z.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 07:52
I'm going to have to think about that with regards to my collection.  When it comes to French lyrics, Stereolab comes to mind but they aren't officially considered prog around here. Smile  I suspect this comment will bring out some fans though.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 08:15

Edited by TheH - December 02 2018 at 08:16
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 08:18
From the Swiss

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 09:15
How about Trocarn from Switzerland?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 10:51
CANO Au Nord de notre Vie est effectivement superbe.

Maelstrom
Sloche
Pollen
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 14:42
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations!  This should keep me busy for awhile Thumbs Up 

Some comments: 

1) I do have the Pollen album and really like it.
2) I have a couple Stereolab albums and really dig them too...especially Emporer Tomato Ketchup.
3) Not really heavy into prog folk.  I have 1 Gryphon and some Dead Can Dance albums, and of course Tull -  though I always thought their classification as prog folk was odd and only based on SFTW/HH.  I'd call them eclectic myself...but whatever.  I tried the highly recommended First Utterance and it didn't click, but I'll give Malicorne & Motis a try.
4) I'll have to try anything that includes the "Micksatisfaction" guarantee LOL
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 14:58
Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes is very dear to my heart.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 15:44
^Nice one
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 10:49
Very overlooked and as good as Ribeiro: Mama Bea

Best French symphonic Prog ever: Emmanuel Booz

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 13:37
Of course, no one will be able to do better in terms of quality lyrics sung in french than Le Grand Jacques (Brel), but Bertrand Cantat of Noir Désir is probably the best (by a margin) in the rock realm, far above Téléphone and Trust (both late 70's & early 80's punk)

in the prog realm, Harmonium has to be on the top rung.
But Catherine Ribeiro + alpes is also right up there, though you have to have a very leftist/anarchist affinity to dig the texts.

Of those I know or am aware of their above average lyrics in French:
Ange (I'm being kind here, but they could be VERY sharp at times)
Atoll (dito)
Et Cetera
Plat Du Jour
Ripaille
E Booz
CANO
Opus 5

I'm not that big on many Québécois bands'  lyrics, but I would say that Octobre and Offenbach (to a lesser extent) are above the pack

From French-speaking Belgium, I'd tend to point out AmAndA

Edited by Sean Trane - December 08 2018 at 13:39
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 15:38
Hello ! Eskaton...

...Tiemko !

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Of course, no one will be able to do better in terms of quality lyrics sung in french than Le Grand Jacques (Brel), but Bertrand Cantat of Noir Désir is probably the best (by a margin) in the rock realm, far above Téléphone and Trust (both late 70's & early 80's punk)

in the prog realm, Harmonium has to be on the top rung.
But Catherine Ribeiro + alpes is also right up there, though you have to have a very leftist/anarchist affinity to dig the texts.

Of those I know or am aware of their above average lyrics in French:
Ange (I'm being kind here, but they could be VERY sharp at times)
Atoll (dito)
Et Cetera
Plat Du Jour
Ripaille
E Booz
CANO
Opus 5

I'm not that big on many Québécois bands'  lyrics, but I would say that Octobre and Offenbach (to a lesser extent) are above the pack

From French-speaking Belgium, I'd tend to point out AmAndA

Hi Sean,

I looking for a song by AmAndA with a German line "Was ist das? Die Glocke!", do you know
on which album I can find this one?

All the best,
TheH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>