1 [4.17%]
9 [37.50%]
2 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeuhl Part II
    Posted: December 02 2018 at 17:47
A couple of live ones this time and for me it's between them although Seffer and Dun are right there too. I'll be back.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 18:40
Voted Dun, Eros it´s  an incredible piece of genius
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 18:50
Damn this is a hard one, went with Dun

Dun > Magma > Seffer > One Shot > Rahmann > Zwoyld
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 01:42
Rahmann, but I love Dün - Eros just as much
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 06:38
A vote for Seffer. He has many brilliant albums but that one remains my favourite.Tough call though with another very strong field.

The Zwoyld, which I like a lot, has its Zeuhl moments but overall I don't think of it as Zeuhl. Then again that debate is endless so I probably shouldn't start it!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 10:46
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Yes it is, and also gets my vote.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 14:09
Magma for me. This period was one of their best for live stuffs. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

This album is a huge favourite of many, I really like the bonus tracks too, those earlier alternate versions.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 16:56
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Damn this is a hard one, went with Dun

Dun > Magma > Seffer > One Shot > Rahmann > Zwoyld

If you switched Dun with One Shot that's pretty much my order.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 16:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

World music Zeuhl? Love the stories in the liner notes for this one. Great album! RYM has this album tagged Zeuhl after jazz/rock, Avant and Jazz/Fusion.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:02
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

A vote for Seffer. He has many brilliant albums but that one remains my favourite.Tough call though with another very strong field.

The Zwoyld, which I like a lot, has its Zeuhl moments but overall I don't think of it as Zeuhl. Then again that debate is endless so I probably shouldn't start it!

I agree with you about Zwoyld, a strange album really and that's why I like it. The chanting, male vocals and bass bring Zeuhl to mind but much of the rest is a stretch too say the least.
The instrumental playing on the first two tracks are so good! Talking about Seffer some outstanding and intense playing. Of course the Hhai Magma and One Shot have more of that too.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 00:38
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

World music Zeuhl? Love the stories in the liner notes for this one. Great album! RYM has this album tagged Zeuhl after jazz/rock, Avant and Jazz/Fusion.
Yeah I noticed. There was a "world"-element to Magma from the very beginning that (largely) disappeared for a short while after their first couple of albums - but returned on Üdü Ẁüdü and even more on Attahk
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 18:04
I thought DUN would run away with this, good to see Hhai doing so well. I'm more into the live MAGMA albums myself so more to come.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 17:26
Love Dün and Yochko Seffer...but Live/Hhäi is a staple. As long as it's the original double album and not the single album Tomato records version.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Love Dün and Yochko Seffer...but Live/Hhäi is a staple. As long as it's the original double album and not the single album Tomato records version.

I've got the double, didn't know about the single.  I love how Magma change things up from their studio versions. Makes the live ones very interesting.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 19:07
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I've got the double, didn't know about the single.  I love how Magma change things up from their studio versions. Makes the live ones very interesting.

Sorry it wasn't Tomato, it was Charly Records. It's on the album page with the abbreviated track list. It wasn't just abbreviated, it was poorly transferred. Decidedly poor sound quality compared to the double album. And I have yet to hear the Jazz Alley re-release. If it is as well cleaned up as Attahk and Wurdah Itah.
Didier Lockwood and that sw**ky, laid back version of Kobaiah really make that performance stand out.

(Seriously? Of all the words to get censored. Why? How about I spell it swanqy?)

Edited by Tapfret - December 07 2018 at 19:10
 Post Reply Post Reply