Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covers of Prog Artists by Non-prog Artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covers of Prog Artists by Non-prog Artists
    Posted: December 03 2018 at 10:20
So there are a lot of Non-Prog Artists that have covered, for better or worse, progressive songs.  I am always curious to listen to these tracks, either for humor sake or to be otherwise impressed.  I got this idea from listening to the Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs "Under the Covers, Vol. 2" album where they do a cover of Yes' "I've Seen All Good People: Your Move/All Good People" which was surprisingly tastefully done, especially with Hoffs folk style vocals.  Of course it helped to have Steve Howe play the guitar part as a guest on the album.  There is also a cover of Television's "Marquee Moon" (yes all 10 minutes of it) on this album.  This cover actually fits Sweet's voice and style of guitar playing, but even though the vocals are a little too polished, the long instrumental section is very well handled.
Also, go ahead and list covers that Prog bands have done of Non-prog artists.  For example, Yes doing an amazing cover of "America" originally by Simon & Garfunkel, that most people are familiar with here.

Edited by TCat - December 03 2018 at 10:50

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 10:31
two David Bowie covers
Helloween - Space Oddity
Motorhead  - Heroes (a pleasant surprise Big smile)
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 10:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

two David Bowie covers
Helloween - Space Oddity
Motorhead  - Heroes (a pleasant surprise Big smile)
Sounds interesting, I'll check them out.

Speaking of David Bowie covers:  I heard one of those the other day.  "Starman" by the alt-country supergroup Golden Smog.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 10:51
I recall watching a Genesis video during the 80s, where Phill Collins was doing a cover of "Chameleon" by the "Culture Club."

Edited by Manuel - December 03 2018 at 10:51
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 11:46
Canadian hard rockers April Wine covered 21st Century Schizoid Man. It's not embarassing or anything, but really rather pointless as they bring nothing new or interesting in their approach that I can discern. I find it hard to see why anyone who had access to any KC version of the song would ever want to listen to it.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 11:50
Voivod did two Pink Floyd covers - Astronomy Domine and Nile Song, both awesome if you ask me Big smile
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 11:52
The only cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man that did it justice - in my opinion - was Voivod's version. They went all the way through with it - even including the technical section in the middle - and hearing that pumped up with some prog metal intensity and even more urgency was pretty damn cool
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 12:01
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

The only cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man that did it justice - in my opinion - was Voivod's version. They went all the way through with it - even including the technical section in the middle - and hearing that pumped up with some prog metal intensity and even more urgency was pretty damn cool

I'd like to hear that. Which album is it on?
Bandcamp Profile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 12:04
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

it's on Phobos (1997)
I bet you can find it on youtube 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I recall watching a Genesis video during the 80s, where Phill Collins was doing a cover of "Chameleon" by the "Culture Club."
About as odd as when Collins recorded exclusively for a 1985 episode of Miami Vice a song titled Life Is A Rat Race (used as the game show theme song of the show Collins' character was hosting in the episode). It seems he was desperately trying to branch out from his role in Genesis, and it probably weakened the group's output at the time.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 12:30
Minutemen did a fun cover of Steely Dan's Dr Wu.
Bandcamp Profile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 13:06
I agree about April Wine's version being kind of useless, but Voivod's version, along with their version of Astonomy Domine, was quite awesome. 

Dr. Wu by the Minutemen.  I wonder how that one slipped by me.  I gotta hear that one.

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 13:10
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Also, go ahead and list covers that Prog bands have done of Non-prog artists.  For example, Yes doing an amazing cover of "America" originally by Simon & Garfunkel, that most people are familiar with here.

Wow, funny to read this today---Last night I did a radio program (KSFR, Santa Fe, NM) of prog bands covering/remaking popular songs, and started off with the Simon & Garfunkle/Yes "America" remake.  

The full list for the program was:

America --  Simon & Garfunkle/Yes   (also did Renaissance's version at the very end of the program)

Hoedown --  Aaron Copeland/ELP

Still I'm Sad -- Yardbirds/Rainbow

Subterranean Homesick Blues/Blues in Bob Minor -- Bob Dylan/Robert Wyatt

Peaches in Regalia -- Frank Zappa/Gnu Quartet

The Big Medley -- Dream Theater (covering portions of Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen, Journey, Dixie Dregs and Genesis)

Crossroads -- Rush  (didn't include original)

Anyone who wants can hear the program until about the middle of Dec, 2018. Go to:

https://www.radiofreeamerica.com/schedule/ksfr 

...and on the calendar that pops up click on December 2, then "Terrell's Sound World".
Z
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 13:11
Speaking of Pink Floyd covers, Monkey3 does a great version of "One of These Days".   I know they are both listed on this site, so I just broke my own rules.  Mayhem is sure to follow.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 13:41

For that matter, Smash Mouth covered 'Dan's Do It Again.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 15:05
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Speaking of Pink Floyd covers, Monkey3 does a great version of "One of These Days".   I know they are both listed on this site, so I just broke my own rules.  Mayhem is sure to follow.

This reminded me of Alien Sex Fiend's 1988 cover of Hawkwind's "Silver Machine."

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 14:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

it's on Phobos (1997)
I bet you can find it on youtube 
You were right. It rocked!
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 15:01
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

For that matter, Smash Mouth covered 'Dan's Do It Again.
In somewhat different vein, the Justin Morell Quintet, a top-notch modern jazz group, did a whole album of instrumental Dan covers.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 04 2018 at 15:01
Bandcamp Profile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 15:23
I heard "Have a Cigar" today, and then I remembered this!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 15:26
This probably isn't what the OP had in mind but I really like the way The Crimson Jazz Trio does many of the songs from the  KC back catalog on their 2 albums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>