Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

alan parsons project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alan parsons project
    Posted: December 03 2018 at 16:48
Is there many or any alan parson projects that could categorized as progressive masterworks ,i think there are only 3 as follows tales of mystery and imagination,i robot and turn of a friendly card ,or i what i consider great prog any other suggestions that can including alan parsons without the project or dark side of moon thanks for taking time to read,any feedback welcome
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:39
Alan Parsons was involved in Ambrosia's debut album, which is actually quite an amazing album and quite progressive.  He also had a hand in Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother album, but not as much as he did on DSotM.  He also helped out with production on The Beatles "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road" and some of Paul McCartney's first albums.

Recently, he worked as Engineer on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" and as Producer on another one of Steven Wilson's projects Blackfield for the "Blackfield V" album for 3 tracks.

Edited by TCat - December 03 2018 at 17:50

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 18:17
Ambrosia is from my home town of San Pedro, CA.  There was a pretty interesting small progressive scene there.  They (and others) played at the various "dances," around town.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 18:28
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Ambrosia is from my home town of San Pedro, CA.  There was a pretty interesting small progressive scene there.  They (and others) played at the various "dances," around town.  

They're from SP?! Never knew that. The only band I can think of off-hand that's usually advertised as "from Pedro" is the Minutemen, who were just mentioned in the covers thread on this forum.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 18:45
There was quite an interest in Prog in the South Bay.  Actually, still is, although I don't live there anymore, I keep in touch with some old friends (the principals of Alva's, music store and small venue, which showcases a lot of them and other genres).  There was a small circle of prog, folk, psych and blues bands, which also came from the Palos Verdes Peninsula ("up the hill," from San Pedro proper).  Lots of intermingling between them.  There were huge parties thrown by PV parents (and often, in their absence), that the bands would play at, as well, on weekends, as well as the more formally organized aforementioned dances.   Several hundred people plus, would gather at these.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 10:24
I noticed that Tales Of Mystery... got 4 stars here...I would probably give most of the early ones 3 to 3 1/2 stars....they are pleasant albums but nothing really grabs me on them though there are some nice tracks here and there on the early ones but also many unmemorable tunes.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 14:21

There was quite an interest in Prog in the South Bay.  Actually, still is, although I don't live there anymore, I keep in touch with some old friends (the principals of Alva's, music store and small venue, which showcases a lot of them and other genres).  There was a small circle of prog, folk, psych and blues bands, which also came from the Palos Verdes Peninsula ("up the hill," from San Pedro proper).  Lots of intermingling between them.  There were huge parties thrown by PV parents (and often, in their absence), that the bands would play at, as well, on weekends, as well as the more formally organized aforementioned dances.   Several hundred people plus, would gather at these.

I don't doubt it. The whole peninsula reeks of money! LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 14:32
As it did even then.  PV then, as now, was populated by a lot of rich yet non-famous people for the most part.  However, a surprising lot of the musicians in SP and PV came from families of educators (or maybe not, but it is not the most lucrative professions, especially at the pre-college levels), but in those days, a teacher, especially department heads, made a decent enough living and could afford music lessons for their children, which is how most of the people I knew got their early start after showing an interest when they were quite young.  

Edited by Snicolette - December 04 2018 at 14:33
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 14:41

As it did even then.  PV then, as now, was populated by a lot of rich yet non-famous people for the most part.  However, a surprising lot of the musicians in SP and PV came from families of educators (or maybe not, but it is not the most lucrative professions, especially at the pre-college levels), but in those days, a teacher, especially department heads, made a decent enough living and could afford music lessons for their children, which is how most of the people I knew got their early start after showing an interest when they were quite young.  

Why did you leave PV/SP? Skyrocketing property values?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 14:57
No, I left back in 1978, moved to OR the first time back then (living there again, now many moons later), have lived all over since, but my family were very early founders there (founded the first school in SP, owned the first "supermarket," and also over on Catalina, early contributers to the Museum there and founded the first library there).
The subculture of artists, especially musicians, on the Peninsula, I find pretty fascinating, realizing how unique it was these many years later, and how it had it's very own character.  Harder to see the forest when you're in the midst of the trees, and all.

Edited by Snicolette - December 04 2018 at 15:47
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 22:20
Alan Parsons production can be heard on Al Stewart's album 'Year of the Cat which is quite good.  Also he produced a Chris Rainbow album (all of which are worth a listen).  Both of these aren't really progressive, but the production quality of this stuff is really incredible.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:21
I believe Parsons also produced "Time Passages" by Al Stewart which IMO is as good as Year of the Cat.   He has quite a few songs that could qualify as prog lite, such as Life in Dark Water" from that album
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 00:10
His Art and Science of Sound Recording 3 DVD set is both interesting (!) and fun. "Band's get together in the studio" <cigarette lighter click>; and his interviewing members of the public about sound quality was going so well until he indicated they couldn't perceive anything right as they were all talking into a toilet brush...

I really enjoy the remaster of Eye In The Sky. It's expanded with unreleased material which actually adds to the album sense rather padding things out with throwaways. 4 1/2 from me minor quibble is the quality of the new material needed a little bit more work, probably of all things, in post production.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 00:32
Pyramid is the only one I really like as an album although there are many great songs. Perfect 'Crossover prog' for me.

I note that John Miles has featured on APP albums so wondering if Parsons might have produced his album Rebel? I always loved High Fly as a song and Music is something of a classic.

Al Stewart - yep many great songs although Last Days of The Century is better than Year Of The Cat (IMO)

Edited by richardh - December 07 2018 at 00:32
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 16:01
I love APP. Be sure to check out Freudiana, one of their best and most proggy albums. You might have to find it off the radar, or import the CD! Make sure its the studio album one too, there's a "broadway" version that's not the same. For the rest of the albums, I like Vulture Culture, Turn of A Friendly Card and Eve a lot. Basically, I like all of them. Some of them are less great than the others; e.g. Pyramid, Ammonia Avenue, Gaudi, through plenty of great tracks on those albums.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 17:48
Sorry i should include EVE a varied but a great album ,i really enjoyed the last track " if i could change your mind " super intro Lucifer, also the hit damned if i do underrated album .I am not sure but i think the last track ,was sung by a woman named claire would also sang, on great gig in the sky on dark side of the moon.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 06:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I believe Parsons also produced "Time Passages" by Al Stewart which IMO is as good as Year of the Cat.   He has quite a few songs that could qualify as prog lite, such as Life in Dark Water" from that album

He produced three sequential Al Stewart albums, starting with 'Modern Times'.

I think Al Stewart sometimes borders on prog, or at least prog-folk, probably first on 'The News From Spain' from 'Orange', with the towering Rick Wakeman piano solo at the end.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 14:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Pyramid is the only one I really like as an album although there are many great songs. Perfect 'Crossover prog' for me.

I note that John Miles has featured on APP albums so wondering if Parsons might have produced his album Rebel? I always loved High Fly as a song and Music is something of a classic.

Al Stewart - yep many great songs although Last Days of The Century is better than Year Of The Cat (IMO)

Yep, that John Miles lp is another Alan Parsons production.. I mean, 'Music' is pretty much the blueprint for the later Alan Parsons project sound with the Andrew Powell Orchestral arrangements..

Three of the main APP musicians were in a pop rock band called Pilot who had hits with 'Magic' and 'January' in 1975, produced by.. surprise, surprise.. Alan Parsons. All these bands and songs had a lushness of production, Hooks and catchy melodies.. and blandness...…

I really, really like all of Tales of mystery and imagination and there are always some great songs instrumentals on all his earlier lps but there are always bland ballads that just turn me off

I also believe Kate Bush's Kick Inside was produced by Andrew Powell and had those ex Pilot/ APP musicians backing her (Ian Bairnson, David Paton and Stuart Elliot amongst others).

Post Reply Post Reply