Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Christmas present will I like best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Of These would you pick?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [31.67%]
27 [45.00%]
14 [23.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 20:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Starless because its by King Crimson unlike those other two albums not by King Crimson

It is hard to dispute the logic here. 

But all three are worthy things to spend your time and money on. I'd say:

KC
UK
M
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 21:22
I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me. I do love King Crimson, but for what I have heard from Starless and Bible Black, it's just not my favourite release from them (though I have actually only heard the songs through other live albums, not the real one... still what I heard from those songs didn't really impress me... except for Fracture). So it is Misplaced Childhood for me, which I really find beautiful and solid.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 21:27
Misplaced childhood--It's Christmas!... and this is the most festive album of the three.Big smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 22:59
Crimson followed closely by UK.

Marillion is a very distant third. I bought into it all back in the day, but these days their sound just irritates me.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 23:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

As much as I like "Starless", I have come to enjoy Rachel Flowers version way better.
The problem is "Starless" is on the album "Red."  We are talking about the album and "Starless" is not on "Starless and Bible Black."

Edited by rminsk - December 06 2018 at 00:16
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 23:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me.

It's not a warm album.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 00:38
UK is most definately not a pop album!!! Not heard starless so I cant comment...I think that the Marillion is good to start with but 2nd side is poo doosh...
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 01:26
Misplaced Childhood - Marillion
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 07:55
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

As much as I like "Starless", I have come to enjoy Rachel Flowers version way better.
The problem is "Starless" is on the album "Red."  We are talking about the album and "Starless" is not on "Starless and Bible Black."

Cleaned up ... my apologies ... geeeezzzz ... I'm getting old!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:31
I'm partial to Marillion for this poll, although UK would also be a very good choice.
I can't comment on the KC pick, unfortunately.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 09:37
Can't go wrong with any of them, but that's no help.

You probably have heard Marillion and Crim before, so take a trip to the UK.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:53

I'm pretty sure someone hacked his account...Mosh 'the pure spirit' would never have made that kind of mistakes. lol
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:10
UK just over SaBB.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:28
Can't go wrong with any of the 3, but Starless & Bible Black is head and shoulders above the others Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:08
KC........then UK.....I never really warmed up to Marillion.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me.

It's not a warm album.

Perhaps that's the problem, perhaps I should chill out with it instead of trying to warm up to it...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 02:45
In my country we hardly practice the giving of Christmas presents. We've just had Sinterklaas come over. Moreover, two of these albums are already in my collection and I care very little for the third.

But... to answer the question:

Marillion. I loved that album back in the day. My tastes have shifted a bit in the direction of UK's debut since then.

S&BB is, in my humble opinion of course, a low-point in Crimso's catalog, not better than Discipline (though The Night Watch is great).

Edited by someone_else - December 07 2018 at 02:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

S&BB is, in my humble opinion of course, a low-point in Crimso's catalog, not better than Discipline (though The Night Watch is great).
What? Angry Them's fighten' words! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:59
Christmas in your house will be amazing!

They're all great, but SABB is the best.
Songs cast a light on you
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:47
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I'm pretty sure someone hacked his account...Mosh 'the pure spirit' would never have made that kind of mistakes. lol

AND, I have those albums, which tells you I was working off memory, not because I decided to put them on, which would have clarified the KC issue faster for me.

I do make silly booboos at 68 ... like I will be in the middle of watching SAUVE QUI PEUT (Godard! I can never quit that son of a gun!), and I get up, pause the film, go to the kitchen ... and ... what? ... I needed to go to the bathroom instead!

So, yeah, the Christmas present I want is not a new CD or a new Remaster ... I want more of my  mind back! I can organize things better when trying to say something, but at times, I wonder what i wanted to say originally ... so nowadays, to improve that, I write ALL RESPONSES on NOTEPAD first, and read them a couple of times ... and maybe I will be able to like UK better this time! I really was not into that stuff (including Asia) because I was heavily into the French, Germans and Italians at the time ... and honestly, I felt that some of these others had lost their spark, and decided to go for the money, instead ... it was so obvious in the quality of the material it's not funny!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>