Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Christmas present will I like best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Of These would you pick?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [31.67%]
27 [45.00%]
14 [23.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Christmas present will I like best?
    Posted: December 05 2018 at 09:03
Kind of a random poll but here goes. In an attempt to fill some gaps in my CD collection I asked Santa ( A.K A. my wife) for a few CD's for Christmas. I have heard parts off all of these but haven't heard them in their entirety yet. What do I have to look forward to? Which of these do you like best?
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 10:11
All three are great. Just got done listening to UK last night so I'll probably vote for them, but if I'd listened to Crimson I'd vote for them. Marillion is great too. I'd vote for em all if I could.
PROGMATIC
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 10:28
Starless because its by King Crimson unlike those other two albums not by King Crimson
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 10:33
While "Starless and Bible Black" is a great King Crimson album, and even though I very seldom vote for anything that is pitted against King Crimson, I have to admit that UK is amazing.  Now if you were considering King Crimson's "Red" or a few of their others, then I would have had a hard time deciding.  By the way, you are a winner no matter what you do because "Misplaced Childhood" is great also.

But if you have a choice, definitely go for UK.  At least you get half of the King Crimson line up in that album.

Edited by TCat - December 05 2018 at 10:36

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 11:33
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

While "Starless and Bible Black" is a great King Crimson album, and even though I very seldom vote for anything that is pitted against King Crimson, I have to admit that UK is amazing.  Now if you were considering King Crimson's "Red" or a few of their others, then I would have had a hard time deciding.  By the way, you are a winner no matter what you do because "Misplaced Childhood" is great also.

But if you have a choice, definitely go for UK.  At least you get half of the King Crimson line up in that album.

I have a feeling I will end up with all three, Just wanted to get peoples take on these. 
I already have Red so this was the next KC on my list. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 11:42
UK. Get UK.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:29
I had to pay 30 notes for UK and that was cheap....How much is your wife willing to.pay?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:34
But it is worth 50 beer vouchers...its that good...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:47
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I had to pay 30 notes for UK and that was cheap....How much is your wife willing to.pay?
   I think I saw it on Amazon for about $15.00 - $20.00 ( US Dollars)
   Nothing special, just a standard release
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 13:09
as others are saying all 3 are really good

can't lose here

Prog On!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 14:02
UK

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:31
Not a turkey in the grouping - you're already a winner in my book !-)

Strong sentimental attachment to SaBB - my favorite KC album. Favorite simply because it was my first. Misplaced Childhood is strong, but from Marillion I much prefer Clutching at Straws - if you don't have it, add to your list. I remember picking up UK in the cut-out section of my local record store while in college. It's got Bruford, Jobson, Wetton, and for the cherry on top, Holdsworth. How can you possibly go wrong !-)
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:49
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Kind of a random poll but here goes. In an attempt to fill some gaps in my CD collection I asked Santa ( A.K A. my wife) for a few CD's for Christmas. I have heard parts off all of these but haven't heard them in their entirety yet. What do I have to look forward to? Which of these do you like best?

If your Santa wife loves you, maybe all three will appear under the tree!....Big smile

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Starless because its by King Crimson unlike those other two albums not by King Crimson

I like King Crimson but not a huge fan,  a bit like Gentle Giant.  

Like about 60% of their music at a push!  

Marillion and UK for me Wink Thumbs Up   The good news is that most of these are now re-mastered and up to date. 

Edited by noni - December 05 2018 at 16:58
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 17:01
King Crimson for sure, that is such a great album.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 17:06
All 3 are definitely worth getting (maybe Santa thinks you've been a good boy this year!) Have to recommend Marillion - (rather predictably) as it won't disappoint - but some real gems on the other two, which might have an extra surprise factor.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:15
Hi,

Marillion ... deserves better, and its music, for me, before and after FISH, is far more valuable and interesting than the pop sensation that UK was ... a group of stars that was not half as good as it should have been, and its originality was second rate at best.

KC is in a different stratosfear and does not need an introduction anymore!

Edited by moshkito - December 06 2018 at 07:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:20
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

This. LOL
Seriously, you can't get things wrong with a solid KC release. UK has great parts but is a bit uneven, Marillion... never cared much for Marillion.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:38
Wow.

U.K. a pop sensation? The ridiculousness of that statement makes anything that might precede or follow highly suspect. They were never popular enough to be called any such thing. So with such a falsehood against an objective statement, theres no way to put any stock in the subjective statements that follow.

Pop? Hardly. This is legit prog through and through.
Unoriginal? That album is unique in the annals of progressive music.
Not as good as it should have been? Really, that is some of Wetton's best work. Holdsworth shines as always. Jobson adds to the uniqueness and originaloty. And Bruford holds it all together with his usual panache.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 19:39
A tie Between King Crimson and UK. Marillion is also good, so no loss really, unless you don't get any.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 19:59
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

... no loss really, unless you don't get any.

Exactly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>