Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Those who believed that the amp doesn't affect the
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Those who believed that the amp doesn't affect the

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those who believed that the amp doesn't affect the
    Posted: December 06 2018 at 00:02
All I want from an amp is clean power that doesn't color the sound in any way. I have never heard a big difference between two quality amplifiers. Maybe there is some magic difference that I just cannot hear, but next to the massive variation between speakers, variation between amps seems negligible to me.

I'm excluding cheap, underpowered or flawed amps here. I am mostly talking about several hundred dollar quality receivers vs several thousand dollar dedicated amps.

Am I missing something? We're any non-believers converted by some magical experience that they can share with me?
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:04
We talking hifi amp or musical instrument here ? 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:56
Since you mention receivers I assume you are talking about audio amps.......Several hundred dollar quality receivers vs several thousand dollar amps is not a fair comparison. The amp section in a receiver is very much cheap and underpowered....trying to drive a set of quality speakers with a receivers amp will only get you a lot of distortion.
Also the transformer (PSU) unit of the receiver is probably of low quality and build design compared to a dedicated amp, again probably not a very fair comparison.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 14:12
Originally posted by Divinejames Divinejames wrote:

the massive variation between speakers

There you are, this is where you should spend your time/money !

(and don't make your final decision before you actually hear them in its final placement at your home)

Then you can buy an affordable/beautiful amp (hundreds $, not thousands) that has enough juice to drive the LS you just chose.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 23:18
Hello?   You have a habit of asking questions then not acknowledging responses.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 12:10
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 14:49
are we using a 2 channel loud speaker set up, a home theater with receiver capabilities or dedicated headphone amplifiers to pair with high quality headphones. ? 
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply