Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tone Control acting like volume control?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tone Control acting like volume control?
    Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:21
It can be as simple as the leg of the capacitor touching the grounded tone pot body. Occasionally, the pots move when they're being tightened up and the capacitor leg shorts against the body of the pot when the pot turns. Have a look and see what's happening in there. If so, unscrew the pot jack, move the pot, tighten it back up. 

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 07:24
Basically, whoever replaced the caps (why ? ) wired the Epi up incorrectly. Back to the shop with it. 

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?232109-Tone-controls-acting-like-volumes!-Need-Help!

Divinejames View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 03:50
Hey everyone.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard plus. I decided to take the pick up covers off a couple of months ago, played it for a bit then life got busy.

I picked it up again and now I’m noticing the tone control acts like a volume control. It does this on both the neck and bridge pickups. I had the pots/capacitors replaced about a year ago and everything was fine before.

Do any of you know what would/could cause this? I can get some pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply