32 [43.84%]
1 [1.37%]
8 [10.96%]
1 [1.37%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 19:00
Definitely Ian

Musical visionary
Stellar songwriter
Excellent vocalist
Marvelous multi-instrumentalist
Unique composer

The whole package, all in one wicked awesome dude.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 21:53
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Jon Anderson - Prog related?? Is there another Jon Anderson I'm not aware of? 

Exactly what I was thinking. It should be quintesential prog.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 22:11

I guess he's basing it off of his solo career?
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 01:10
Ian "Prog Folk" Anderson
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Ian Anderson for the flute, and Jon Anderson for his voice. Kind of a tie for me.
  I'd have to add Laurie Anderson to that for sheer weirdness. Wink

Same ... but the number of votes for Laurie does not add up!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Ian Anderson for the flute, and Jon Anderson for his voice. Kind of a tie for me.
  I'd have to add Laurie Anderson to that for sheer weirdness. Wink

Same ... but the number of votes for Laurie seems so sad ... I'm almost sure that the majority of JT fanboys have not heard Laurie and have any idea who/what she is ... and yeah, she may be "strange" and "weird" but when it comes to literature and intelligence in concert and what she did with Mr. Nekkid Lunch ... I end up thinking that she is much more cool, than we give her credit ... and then later marrying Lou Reed ... now that is a strange breed/mix for me as Lou was as anti-literature as anyone I have ever met!

But to use Mr. Burroughs in her shows for many years, at a time, when everyone was falling in love with YES and GENESIS, for material that supposedly was better, kinda drew the line, on what was important and what was marginal. TFTO was fine, and a step up from CTTE, and TLLDOB was a step up from SEBTP, but after that, both bands fell off their high wire act and could not sustain anything except look for a number one song.

Laurie continued doing her shows for many years, and they were impressive to say the least, specially considering how little help she got for equipment and staging until much later when she didn't need it and didn't want it!

In terms of inner perspective, I would say that Laurie is the most important of them all. Jon and Ian might be the most famous, but they are both very vain and sometimes really full of it, and you can tell that they can not live without the dei-fication of their well known stage personna and egos.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 11:33
Laurie deserves far more attention than she gets, which is why I voted for her. Don't reach your conclusions about her from any one album - she has given us a wide variety of styles and sounds. Innovative in the best way.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 17:17
Originally posted by </span><strong>moshkito moshkito wrote:

Same ... but the number of votes for Laurie seems so sad ... I'm almost sure that the majority of JT fanboys have not heard Laurie and have any idea who/what she is ... and yeah, she may be "strange" and "weird" but when it comes to literature and intelligence in concert and what she did with Mr. Nekkid Lunch ... I end up thinking that she is much more cool, than we give her credit ... and then later marrying Lou Reed ... now that is a strange breed/mix for me as Lou was as anti-literature as anyone I have ever met!

*Snip*
Or perhaps people simply prefer Ian Anderson's music to Laurie Anderson's. Pompous prat.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 21:58

For me, ian's got the flute and the voice.
Plays a very nice acoustic guitar as well.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 04:06
Ian & Jon !!!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 05:00
Jon Anderson.  His vocals border on being magical.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:42
This is Ian and Jon outside their respective and respectable frameworks?

They need their guitarists... and IA's vocal is painful nearly on par with that of Dylan now. JA's doing well but I think it's Laurie Anderson today.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 15:30
Jon & Laurie
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 09:05
I decided to go with Laurie.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 10:49
Loni!!!...
I mean,
Laurie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 06:47
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by </span><strong>moshkito moshkito wrote:

*Snip*
Or perhaps people simply prefer Ian Anderson's music to Laurie Anderson's. Pompous prat.

Right ... give just as many folks listening to JT to sit and listen to Laurie and watch the numbers change ... then we can re-consider the pomposity of your comment. I simply do not think that someone whose ego is so vastly made by their fame, as is the case in both those Andesons, that they are as important and have that much to say, which is more important than otherwise, specially on a literary/musical basis. 

I'll go listen to Horslips instead of Ian or Jon ... much more satisfying! AND, above all ... much more honest!

Edited by moshkito - December 12 2018 at 06:48
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 07:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. It should be quintesential prog.

Well I took it from the site and I rather agree with it other than Olias of Sunhillow which is a prog masterpiece for sure...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 17:15

Right ... give just as many folks listening to JT to sit and listen to Laurie and watch the numbers change ... then we can re-consider the pomposity of your comment. I simply do not think that someone whose ego is so vastly made by their fame, as is the case in both those Andesons, that they are as important and have that much to say, which is more important than otherwise, specially on a literary/musical basis.

Laurie Anderson's first album came out in 1982. She's had 36 years to make an impact and simply hasn't. Oh look, Laurie Anderson has released another experimental album playing a tape-bow violin that uses recorded magnetic tape on the bow instead of horsehair and a magnetic tape head in the bridge. Gosh, I am sure it's spellbinding. Maybe on this one she'll have a small army of dwarves painted like Andy Warhol's soup cans marching across the stage reciting excerpts from Melville's Moby Dick. It will be so avant-garde that she plays a single note - a D minor because it's such a melancholy chord - over and over, through the entire show. Yawn. 

Also, in your flights of arrogantly deluded grandeur, the remnant of a failed writing career and whatever psychotropic drugs you were inhaling in the 60s, you ignore the fact that most of the folks on this site, Prog-archives by name, have heard Laurie Anderson, and do not put her in the same league as Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull or Jon Anderson/Yes. And by a sizable margin. As far as ego, you have a permanent spot on the Sigmund Freud "My ego is so swollen, it ate my Id" Hall of Fame.

I'll go listen to Horslips instead of Ian or Jon ... much more satisfying! AND, above all ... much more honest!

I'm not quite sure how one defines "honesty" in music. Does that require more than half of a band's catalog to be out of print? If so, then yes, Horslips is certainly honest. Their first two albums were quite good, but then they just sort of went to hell, didn't they. But hey, thanks for your opinion -- as divorced from reality as it is.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 12 2018 at 17:18
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 06:45

Laurie Anderson's first album came out in 1982. She's had 36 years to make an impact and simply hasn't. 

And the other guys? Both Andersons of fame almost 50 or more? And all they show for it these days is not a humble artistry and effort ... is a bunch of psycho-pathetic over eager fans that can not let go of their favorite songs!

Oh look, Laurie Anderson has released another experimental album playing a tape-bow violin that uses recorded magnetic tape on the bow instead of horsehair and a magnetic tape head in the bridge. Gosh, I am sure it's spellbinding. Maybe on this one she'll have a small army of dwarves painted like Andy Warhol's soup cans marching across the stage reciting excerpts from Melville's Moby Dick. It will be so avant-garde that she plays a single note - a D minor because it's such a melancholy chord - over and over, through the entire show. Yawn. 

Oh, I'm sure that a lot of metal, prog and Ian's material is much more exciting to my loins, hoping to regain a reasonable erection just like the old days!

For your delectation, and dishonest comment, I gave up drugs way back when, at the time that some of my favorite musicians died from it. And then a California politician said ... let them smoke dope and I will win all the elections ... so if you think that this supposedly over sized something or other (I'm not, just about 20 pounds over!), is over done, it wasn't the drugs ... it was the music, the arts, the movies, the literature and a lot of other stuff that you do not seem to show respect for. That does not mean that what Laurie just did recently is better or worse, but maybe a throw back to the Andy Warhol days (I hated them!!!!!) that had a camera turned on for lots of minutes while 2 people slept! That kinda told me, what the real art was all about, and a lot of "prog", "progressive" and some of the running comments by many folks, are ALMOST the exact same thing. Copycat and cookie cutter comments, and then you detest mine which are not cookie cutter and are not copycat. AND, unlike many of the comments, yours included, I explain mine. You don't!

...Also, in your flights of arrogantly deluded grandeur, the remnant of a failed writing career and whatever psychotropic drugs you were inhaling in the 60s ...

Unlike your middle class American desire for fame, and fortune, I am already the son of a very well known writer in Portuguese Literature (not exactly Detroit rap!), and having seen what it took ... in every house and every country there is one God and the children are made STRICTLY to go fight in the wars ... PERIOD!

I have no interest whatsoever, in fame and fortune, or some kind of this or that title, or being considered one of the whatevers at PA. It's just one voice, and you have the option of not listening to it, or reading into it, however, you continue to show the same side as the social patterns and norm ... that fame is the mother of all poop!

I wouldn't pay to see either Anderson, and waste gas on the way. Their days of value are long gone, and they sound old and tired to me. And I haven't. Because I would rather see other things that are far better, and more representative of "progressive", than stuff that is no longer even a smudge of what the definitions are these days!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 17:07

Laurie Anderson's first album came out in 1982. She's had 36 years to make an impact and simply hasn't. 

And the other guys? Both Andersons of fame almost 50 or more? And all they show for it these days is not a humble artistry and effort ... is a bunch of psycho-pathetic over eager fans that can not let go of their favorite songs!

It's comments like this that cause other posters to question your sanity. Where in god's name do you think that somehow Laurie Anderson somehow displays "humble artistry" and either Ian or Jon do not? Because they've been at it for 50 and Laurie is going on near 40 years? And because people prefer Yes or Jethro Tull music over Laurie Anderson's, they are somehow "psycho-pathetic"? Who exactly do you think you are to make such an asinine statement? It's rather like saying if people prefer Bach to Stravinsky, the Bach fans are pathetic because Johann was around a couple centuries longer than Igor. Johann is so Baroque!

Oh look, Laurie Anderson has released another experimental album playing a tape-bow violin that uses recorded magnetic tape on the bow instead of horsehair and a magnetic tape head in the bridge. Gosh, I am sure it's spellbinding. Maybe on this one she'll have a small army of dwarves painted like Andy Warhol's soup cans marching across the stage reciting excerpts from Melville's Moby Dick. It will be so avant-garde that she plays a single note - a D minor because it's such a melancholy chord - over and over, through the entire show. Yawn. 

Oh, I'm sure that a lot of metal, prog and Ian's material is much more exciting to my loins, hoping to regain a reasonable erection just like the old days!

For your delectation, and dishonest comment, I gave up drugs way back when, at the time that some of my favorite musicians died from it. And then a California politician said ... let them smoke dope and I will win all the elections ... so if you think that this supposedly over sized something or other (I'm not, just about 20 pounds over!), is over done, it wasn't the drugs ... it was the music, the arts, the movies, the literature and a lot of other stuff that you do not seem to show respect for. That does not mean that what Laurie just did recently is better or worse, but maybe a throw back to the Andy Warhol days (I hated them!!!!!) that had a camera turned on for lots of minutes while 2 people slept! That kinda told me, what the real art was all about, and a lot of "prog", "progressive" and some of the running comments by many folks, are ALMOST the exact same thing. Copycat and cookie cutter comments, and then you detest mine which are not cookie cutter and are not copycat. AND, unlike many of the comments, yours included, I explain mine. You don't!

So...when you make rambling, befuddled and wholly besotted comments as the above remark, you're not stoned? What then, dementia?

...Also, in your flights of arrogantly deluded grandeur, the remnant of a failed writing career and whatever psychotropic drugs you were inhaling in the 60s ...

Unlike your middle class American desire for fame, and fortune, I am already the son of a very well known writer in Portuguese Literature (not exactly Detroit rap!), and having seen what it took ... in every house and every country there is one God and the children are made STRICTLY to go fight in the wars ... PERIOD!

Evidently, talent skips a generation among the Portuguese. Either that, or you are simply the Eric Trump of Portuguese poetry. Your reference to "middle-class Americans" merely proves my point that you are pretentious windbag full of flatulent pomposity.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 15 2018 at 09:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>