Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I chose vinyl because...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I chose vinyl because...
    Posted: December 07 2018 at 23:29
...I am too lazy of a person to download things online, sort them and put on a USB stick. Doing things on a computer is no fun.

Okay, also there is the fun of owning and collecting something physical, the DJing is more challanging and fun, music selection becomes more curated, lots of music that I like is vinyl exclusive (giegling for example), and finally - just putting on a record at night while with my girlfriend gives soo much vibes.

What about you?
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 16:19
I like browsing used vinyl and finding weird/obscure things. The larger artwork and other goodies are great too. But my hearing sadly stops just under 20kHz so I prefer to stick with CDs.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 16:46
Too lazy to download?   Heck you're too lazy to post in your own threads.   How about a response or two, otherwise no one knows if you give a damn and then what's the point.

Anyway, I like CDs for the availability of obscure and out-of-print titles as compared to other physical media.   Convenient carry, storage, fidelity, notes, and extra tracks are also a plus.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 16:48
Vinyl all the way. I only have around 100 CD’s.
Oh, you ask why - I love the 12” x 12” format, and the entire ‘ritual’ of sliding the record out from it’s inner, placing on the turntable, changing the sides and packing it away. And all the magic happens in between. Plus I never jumped on the whole CD bandwagon back in the late-80’s and just kept buying LP’s.
Re-issues these days have a much higher quality packaging, beautiful finishes and all, but ‘vintage’ records have a lot of charm, and original pressings have a lot of stories to tell. I could go on and on.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 08 2018 at 16:57
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 22:53
I prefer cds. Part of that is because I don't have a record player. I never heard of not being able to listen to albums because of bad hearing but cds are ok. That's a new one to me. I have tinnitus in my left ear(which is why I prefer to listen to music at a moderate to low volume) and never noticed a difference between vinyl and cds. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:24
My reasons are mine and not replying to other threads makes me not want to post.......but I guess I'll play still.

I F*ing love all the damn pops, clicks, hiss and skipping of records. The crazy low fidelity makes me smile from ear to ear. There is no resolution, dynamics or emotion from records and I simply adore that when I listen to my fav music.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:54
I believe in the early days of CD's they were talking about adding clicks and pops to make the sound less sterile. I do not know if this actually happened in the end. Have not come across a CD like it myself as yet.

I used to collect vinyl avidly. But like so many people changed over gradually to CD's when my record player stopped working back in the 90's.The great pull to collecting CD's was the re-issue of obscure and rare albums at the time and the extra bonus tracks we got. Space and storage was also less of an issue. I do miss collecting vinyl but really have invested too much money and time into CD's to turn back . I could never replace all those albums I have now and splitting the collection between CD's and vinyl does not seem right to me as I would have to store the media in separate places. It's one or the other not both.

Went into a well known media chain the other week and the amount of new vinyl for sale was quite shocking. I have not seen so much since the 80's on the shelf of any music shop. tempting it was but also very expensive compared to CD's which in many cases seem to have come down drastically in price.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 03:24
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My reasons are mine and not replying to other threads makes me not want to post.......but I guess I'll play still.

I F*ing love all the damn pops, clicks, hiss and skipping of records. The crazy low fidelity makes me smile from ear to ear. There is no resolution, dynamics or emotion from records and I simply adore that when I listen to my fav music.
Pops, clicks and hiss I can live with, but skips......not good at all.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 02:22
CDs develop faults... my gold CD of Tubular Bells has developed a little hole where should not be one. I am naturally delighted.

It's odd... people say records sound better when what they mean is they like to put a needle int a groove and hear what they are used to hearing; a lot of personal associative reassurance which translates into "records sound better" as these guys cannot confess to emotional atrophy. ;)

A great remaster, and mastering now is done very well means the torture of LPs is either a novelty to hipster culture or clinging to the past for the non hipster culture.

Hi res sounds great even on my mediocre stereo. Records built on tapes of several generations down from the master have created hearing that struggles to get to 4 kHz. CDs are all generated from the same first gen and are only limited by their playback.

But with a bad side there is also a worse side.

I do like some album art but this led into a blind spot as I bought loads of CDs that sound atrocious compared to new masters - I hadn't fully taken on board the greed and nefarious intent of the industry to merely dump audio to disc, put it in the convincing Brain Salad gatefold art - and now it sounds awful as the thing was mastered for LP (8 bit equivalent to CDs 16...) the multiple versions with  varying extra material did not help matters.

But a well researched release, recent master (the past 18 years) beats all that came before - rubbish CDs and rubbish LPs.

So nothing sells much. They forgot that maxim, give the people what they want - especially the crowd who know what they are buying - again.

Note well how the classical world use hi res and high quality digital mastering. Rock is still in the stone age audio wise... (must be a pun in there somewhere...). High res should be the standard - not a luxury.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 03:07
Originally posted by Divinejames Divinejames wrote:

...I am too lazy of a person to download things online, sort them and put on a USB stick. Doing things on a computer is no fun.

Okay, also there is the fun of owning and collecting something physical, the DJing is more challanging and fun, music selection becomes more curated, lots of music that I like is vinyl exclusive (giegling for example), and finally - just putting on a record at night while with my girlfriend gives soo much vibes.

What about you?

Vinyl buffs are certainly NOT lazy persons, IMHOConfused

You have to like useless efforts (both financially, physically and time-wise) prefer vinyls:
1- because vinyls are those most expensive way to go around music (both the albums and the hi-fi equipment) and can only listen to them in the living room
2- Getting up every 15 to 20 minutes to change sides and put everything back in place (can't leave discs lying around like for CDs) is anything but lazy... not to mention the record bin chases
3- downloads require not only zero physical efforts, but it's the quickest way to get the music you're after

After those considerations, vinyl buffs are also probably the most anal music collectors because of what written above and their adoration of those black slices of evironmetal-unfriendly petrol gunk.Tongue

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 08:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I laughed LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I like browsing used vinyl and finding weird/obscure things. The larger artwork and other goodies are great too. But my hearing sadly stops just under 20kHz so I prefer to stick with CDs.

Same for me....I like the artwork and finding old original obscure vinyl(I grew up with vinyl and 45's since I'm an old fart...)...it's fun to hunt...but I play cd's most of the time plus I drive to work and back 5 days a week
... and you can't play vinyl in the car.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 10:05
What I find funny about people who post about the people who listen to records, like they know me. There is ZERO nostalgia or clinging to the past with records if you are serious about how your music sounds, and what you hear.

I grew up on records and the gear back in the 70s to listen to records was terrible compared to the electronics of today. Speakers, amplification, power supply, turntables/tonearms, cartridges and phono preamps are all leaps and bounds better today. The people in the nostalgia world are the ones still using 70's gear to play records or even their precious CDs....How much would it cost to keep your 1975 car running today??

All my 60/70/80s records sound beyond better than they did back then, those records did not change but the gear I have did. Has nothing to do with nostalgia for me, it has everything to do with hearing music in the best way possible....period. 
In my house records sound leaps and bounds better than CDs, I have gobs of examples that show me this.....SACD and 24bit, even a couple DSD files I have, are all on par with my analog rig.

I chose vinyl because it connects me emotionally with what the artist has recorded, digital still fails in that department. As I have said a 1000 times, digital should be better........
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 10:32
Not sure why there always seems to be adversarial interactions between vinyl lovers and those who prefer other media.

I think it's all good. There are clearly cases where vinyl sounds better and others where CDs are the superior product.

Personally i tend to prefer CDs for many reasons. Firstly, they take up less space and as my collection races towards the 15,000 album mark (still not sure, too scared to count but was over 10,000 a fe years back) i'm running out of space!

Secondly CDs of classic vinyl era albums in remastered form are often far superior in not only that they improved all the production flaws of the original era but they offer bonus material, extensive back stories and liner notes and other benefits such as easy ripping onto my hard drive.

Vinyl is of course FAR superior when it comes to artistic presentation and overall integration of the visual arts into the musical experience. Therefore i have many vinyl editions of albums that are absolutely essential to have the exquisite art work of the packaging. Of coure this includes many prog gems ranging from Yes and Tull to more mainstream bands such as Zeppelin. Likewise i have many vinyl albums that are so obscure that they still haven't found a re-release on other formats.

So, basically both vinyl and CD formats are top dogs in my world for various reasons. Now 8-tracks, cassettes and reel-to-reel haven't quite found their way into the hearts of music lovers. They may have been necesssary at one time but now seem woefully outdated despite some black metal bands clinging onto the lo-fi quirks of cassette technology.

Downloads are ok for bands that have no other means of releasing their product but pesonally i always prefer a physical product to a virtual one. It is handy that one can go to YouTube or BandCamp and other related internet sites to listen to music for free. Of all the music i've heard and reviewed, i probably actually own half of it. I would love to own more but unfortunately no one has left me that small fortune that i desparately need to make my collection complete! LOL

Edited by siLLy puPPy - December 17 2018 at 10:33

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 13:52
You can't roll a joint on a MP3.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 17:07
^^ I think siLLy puPPy has expressed it about right for me.

I fondly remember the vinyl era, because the whole playing ritual, from the cleaning of the needle and disc, the 20 minute flip over and the reading of the gatefold sleeve and the lyrics sheet, will never be bettered. I remember my Christmas presents of Nursery Cryme, the newspaper version of Thick as a Brick or even the joy of opening up Yessongs, Rainbow Rising and All the World's a Stage with great affection. Sigh.........

However, CD worked more times than not for me, quality and convenience wise - while downloads give me an accessibility (especially in the car or on the go) that not even a CD in a Sony Walkman could never do.

Don't miss the skips and scratches from some of my favourite vinyl, although whenever I hear Can't Get Enough of Your Love from Bad Company's Straight Shooter - I still remember and expect them still - so engrained are those audio experiences. I suppose it's all relative!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 17:29
Well I think it is all good too, I listen to all forms of media. Records, CD, digital hi rez, R2R tape and even cassette, so I cover all bases of media.
What happens is all the digital diehard lovers always krapp on a thread someone started about vinyl.....Start your own digital only thread, I promise you very few if any analog folks will care enough to participate in one of those.
Remember that the CD is a truncated (to save space) version of the original recording which today are all mastered in 24bit audio, something the CD cannot handle, this is plain fact. Any information below 20Hz and above about 21KHz is cut off on the CD, again plain fact.
Records can handle frequency well above 30KHz and below 20Hz, you may never "hear" these sounds but for sure your body and mind can sense they exist which only adds to the whole music listening experience. 
New record lacquers are cut using the hi-rez 24bit master file, the CD is pressed from 16bit redbook files, so already a lower quality sound master.

Just understand all this before making grandiose claims, then chose your media and enjoy the music!
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 18:23
When CD's first came out i was still on cassettes and vinyl. 

I refused to try CDs at that time as a: they were expensive b: they were for yuppies c: they sounded just, empty, in some way. 

I preferred listening to my good old record player.

However, as it turns out, I had been listening to all my records at a slightly different key as opposed to a cold hard pressed CD. 

Didn't bother me, even after i found out. Besides, Ummagumma sounded better that way anyways.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 21:20
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

You can't roll a joint on a MP3.
I once did a line on a Caravan LP
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 07:12
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Don't miss the skips and scratches from some of my favourite vinyl, although whenever I hear Can't Get Enough of Your Love from Bad Company's Straight Shooter - I still remember and expect them still - so engrained are those audio experiences. I suppose it's all relative!

Not that engrained - Can't Get Enough is not on Straight Shooter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>