Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock In Opposition 2019 Announced

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock In Opposition 2019 Announced
    Posted: December 13 2018 at 19:01
Major changes for RIO '19, the festival has moved to the Lyon area & has changed dates to May 9th to 11th. Great line up of bands this year.

Thursday
John Greaves & Annie Barbazza
Mange Ferraille
PoiL

Friday
a.P.A.t.T.
Schnellertollermeier
Koenji Hyakkei

Saturday
PinioL
The Watts
Geoff Leigh
Present
North Sea Radio Orchestra, John Greaves & Annie Barbazza play Rock Bottom

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 13 2018 at 19:05
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 03:15
I'd love to see a.P.A.t.T. live. At least to ask them what the hell the band's name mean.
Their Nosferatu is a great album 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 17:32
glad it's earlier in theyear.

won't make a difference to me as a live in a different country but good to see this continue.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 16:39
Here's my review of this years festival

First night, got to venue, L'Periscope, around 7 for opening ceremonies, just round corner from train station with lots of small hotels in area. The venue is tiny, probably holds no more than 100 with a small bar and seats on the street, all standing, which was ok given the 2nd and 3rd bands but hope for seats today at L'Abbatoir. First up were John Greaves & Annie Barbazza. Annie started with 2 Crimson covers, Epitaph & Moonchild, on acoustic guitar. The rest of the set was mainly John on piano and one or both on vocals. Sounded like an edgy lounge act, not bad. Next was Poil playing a set mainly off the new album, fast, frenetic, high energy, spin on a dime stuff, utterly brilliant, big silly grin on my face all set. Lastly was Mange Ferraile, instrumental guitar, drums and keys/bass, minimalist drum drive noise rock, drummer reminded me of Tony Conrads Dream Syndicate with 4 or 5 note repeated patterns going on and on, don't think i saw the guitarist play a chord all night, mainly just making it screech or using flat fingers across a fret, fun live if a little repetitive without interesting changes or layers, doubt I'd ever buy it. 

Day 2 was outstanding as expected, moved from Lyon to Bourgoin-jallieu and the Abbatoir venue, big old building with great sound plenty of seats and a sunken standing area in front of the stage that avoids obstructing seated sight lines, found the best sound was seated as a bit muddy up front. First up Schnellertollermeier, Swiss minimalist heavy jazz rock, tight as hell and sounding excellent. Second was the return of a.P.a.T.t bonkers Caberet rock with a punky tinge and masses of energy, loads of fun. Lastly the utterly sublime full-on crushingly heavy Koenji Hyakkei, an outstanding set that left the audience breathless and awestruck. Superb day.

Day 3 was the first early start at 3pm with The Watts (Chris Cutler, Tim Hodgkinson, Yumi Hara) 45 minutes of avant improv, I can take or leave this stuff that often sounds formless, worked well, i was in the mood. For their encore Geoff Leigh and Keith Macksoud joined them for a very groovy Isle Of Everywhere (Gong) cover. Second was Piniol doing pretty much the same set as last year, grooves and pounds along joyfully. We then had a 2 hour dinner break until John Greaves, Annie Barbazza & the North Sea Radio Orchestra. They started with 2 Blegvad tracks, some Wyatt & Costello's Shipbuilding before performing the whole of Rock Bottom. Very moving and really nice arrangements, excellent. The event closed with Present featuring new guitarist Francois Mignot of Ni and featuring two new tracks. Was a bit chaotic between tracks with some long pauses but while playing were very good and i enjoyed the new material.

Overall a really good weekend with the line-up of bands particularly impressive, well done to the organizers for getting the new locations organized. There were some old friends missing due to the schedule changes and other circumstances (Debi, Helaine, Marc, Thomas, Klaus, Lutz notably) but most of the rest of the gang were there. The Periscope in Lyon is too small and hot, maybe 100 max fitted in all standing. The Abbatoir is a better venue with good sound ( though muddy at the front), good sight lines, nice standing area at the front, the main 'seats' were very uncomfortable and I couldn't use them unless at the back wall to support my back. Food was average to poor, basic with little selection. Security was bonkers, walking through the auditorium during sets, confiscating water at the gate, not letting people back into the auditorium after leaving midset, not letting people back on site after a cut off time. The could have done with more outdoor cover given that was the main area to congregate between sets and it rained quite a bit. All the outdoor seating was soaked as a result.

Had a great time, hung with a bunch of friends old and new and enjoyed great performances. Will certainly be back next year.
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 17:33
^ totally jealous of Present, Piniol, Poil, and Koejikyakkei. Sounds like I would have liked The Watts and Mange Ferraile as well. 

Thanks for the review! Viva le RIO!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 00:13
Very nice review. Hopefully I can make it one year.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 06:28
Nice review, Ian...Glad you had a frabjous time!  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
alfonso101 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfonso101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 01:00
BUENOS COMENTARIOS....EXCELENTE MUSICA...MAL LUGAR EL PRIMERO AUNQUE MEJOR COMIDA POR LA CERCANIA (LYON)...EL SEGUNDO Y TERCER DIA MEJOR SONIDO,LUGAR..PERO COMIDA POBRE

PERO RECOMIENDO, SIN DUDA, ESTE FESTIVAL!!!
meadow.meal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meadow.meal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 14:11
Hey folks, 

Do we know, generally speaking, when the RIO lineup is announced? 

Thinking of trying and turning the opportunity into a bachelor party!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 16:27
There's meant to be an announcement in mid October, I'll post as soon as I hear anything from Michel.
Ian

meadow.meal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meadow.meal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 11:20
Any news?!

Thanks,

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 13:40
It's been canceled, there will be no more Rock In Opposition Festivals in France though there is the possibility of a return to Japan.

Announcement from Michel Besset

It is with a great sadness that I must announce today that the 12th edition of the ROCK IN OPPOSITION France Event held in Bourgoin-Jallieu and Lyon last may is the last of the name. Indeed, given the change of direction of the current music scene "Les Abattoirs", and the complex mutation of the missions of his team, it would be very risky to consider a next edition.
At the end of the R.I.O. from Carmaux, we had, José Molina (Director of the Abattoirs) and I did my utmost to maintain this unique event on the national territory.
Today is the end of this wonderful story. And it is with great difficulty, both for the organizers, volunteers, technicians, artists and public that we must make this decision.

For my part I continue to work on other projects which, I hope, I will have the opportunity to talk to you very soon ...

Thank you all for this fabulous adventure.

And long live MUSIC.

Michel Besset

Ian

Post Reply Post Reply