Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Strawbs: Just A Collection of Antiques and Curios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strawbs: Just A Collection of Antiques and Curios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawbs: Just A Collection of Antiques and Curios
    Posted: December 19 2018 at 08:46
Rick Wakeman is the star of Just A Collection of Antiques and Curios and gave fans a chance to hear the Moog genius on his first love, the piano, and the music is all the better for it.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 11:19
I like the album well enough as it finds them moving forward into a more electrified sound will still having very little lead guitar and no standard drums.  I still prefer the more pastoral studio albums that surround it - Dragonfly and Witchwood.  But it was quite amazing that the first US release was a live album, and of songs that had mostly not yet been released in any form (I think "Where is this Dream of Your Youth" was the only one that had hitherto appeared).  
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 15:07
A lot of great memories of this album - which I still enjoy playing. Very much a transitional album from the more acoustic and pastoral Strawbs and Dragonfly (which I also love) and the more progressive Wakeman-based era. A range of different styles on display, which makes it a diverse and entertaining listen!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 18:28
Great record not as near as hero and heroine by standards but good wakeman ,makes a super entrance, keyboard mastery
 Post Reply Post Reply