Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs: Sing To God

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs: Sing To God
    Posted: December 21 2018 at 11:26
Cardiacs: Sing To God. A prog classic?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 11:53
Yes it is, though pretty much all of their stuff is brilliant, the Garage Concert may be my favorite or Maresnest.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 17:37
I had more difficulties getting into this one than into some earlier Cardiacs. I miss William D. Drake and Sarah Smith; there's some less childishness and some less ornament, one can call it more mature, and of course its length means there's twice as much to get your head and heart around. It is such a rich and stuffy experience; finally it won me over like Cardiacs always did and always will do.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 17:13
I'd go with a yes.  It's the only album I have so far.  Bigger fan of Knifeworld.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 19:37
Yes!!!. no doubt about it!!!
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Cardiacs: Sing To God. A prog classic?

A great double album, I saw many Cardiacs gigs in that period. My favourite band of all time.Huge fan, have everything on vinyl and CD, saw maybe 30 gigs. Pronk is what we called the prog plus punk style back in the day in London.  I wouldn't call it a prog classic. I would call it what Tim calls it a "a pop album" But I think it is a pronk classic and one of my Top 50 albums of all time. My fav Cardiacs albums though are 1. Heaven Born & Ever Bright 2. On Land And In The Sea 3. The Seaside. 4. Songs For Ships and Irons (compo of 12" Eps) and 5. ALMAAHATWWW.
The Sea Nymphs and Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake albums are laso wonderful.      
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:52
Oops I missed this thread before...
Yep I love this album, but in an unusual way. Up to and including Dirty Boy it has some of my favourite songs ever and a great flow, but after that it appears to lose steam. It feels like blasphemy to say it but this might have been their best album by far (and by extension one of the best in the history of music) if they cut it down to a single album (the whole first disc, with Wireless replaced with Dirty Boy).
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 09:08
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

Oops I missed this thread before...
Yep I love this album, but in an unusual way. Up to and including Dirty Boy it has some of my favourite songs ever and a great flow, but after that it appears to lose steam. It feels like blasphemy to say it but this might have been their best album by far (and by extension one of the best in the history of music) if they cut it down to a single album (the whole first disc, with Wireless replaced with Dirty Boy).

I kind of know what you mean, I bought the limited double CD version on release and it remains my least favourite Cardiacs album.  
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 12:58
On some days this is my favourite album of all time. But I just canīt decide between the cardiacs lps
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 19:32
I find the 2nd disc to start becoming quite tiring by the end and personally prefer some other work by them, such as A Little Man And A House... and On Land And In The Sea, but I definitely do still find the album to be extremely good for the most part, despite the fact that it could probably be cut down a bit.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 06:29
Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

I find the 2nd disc to start becoming quite tiring by the end and personally prefer some other work by them, such as A Little Man And A House... and On Land And In The Sea, but I definitely do still find the album to be extremely good for the most part, despite the fact that it could probably be cut down a bit.

I don't think the second disc is weaker, but I do think listening to all of Sing to God in one sitting can be too much of a good thing. It's better taken in smaller doses IMO.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 08:15
I only have Sing to God and A Little House...
I find Sing to God a bit too much, it tires me. I reckon they are brilliant at what they do, it's just that I don't resonate with that huge amount of energy anymore, perhaps it's the age Cry
Honestly it's quite a long time I don't listen to them, maybe I should give them some spins again...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 19:21
You should poll favorite song.  For me it is Fiery God Hand.  That one really hooked me/ heheheh

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:25
Well, after listening to the album a few times, I revoke my statement to some degree. I definitely still find the first half to be better, but the entire album is simply incredible, and I can now definitely say that this is an album worthy of being considered an absolute classic.
 Post Reply Post Reply