Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heey new here!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heey new here!
    Posted: December 23 2018 at 16:35
Heey everyone!

Don't really know how to start this one, but I guess I just start writing a little intro to myself!

I have played classical music my whole live, started playing a recorder (we call it flute, but never mind) at age 4. Slowly progressing and playing bigger and bigger ones, to like 2 meter high ones that would physically exhaust me. I played in orchestras and ensembles, mainly playing Telemann, Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart. Then at age 15, I stopped, I did not want to put the time in anymore. But I was kinda lost musically wise, never heard other music than classic ones, so I started listening to Green Day and Arctic Monkeys, but after I played a song 2 times, there was not much in it anymore for me.

Then one day, I talked with my science teacher about music and after a while he said, you should listen to a band called Transatlantic (this was in 2009) So I searched for them on YouTube, first song I heard was 'My New World' and I was blown away. This was amazing!

I started playing guitar and bass shortly after, and borrow my moms keyboard every now and then.

But anyway, the reason I'm here is that till now I mostly listened to the old classics (like Genesis, Jethro Tull, Camel) and Transatlantic and the Flower Kings, but this year I started listening to Big Big Train and Southern Empire and I like them a lot, so by being on this site I hope I get to discover a lot more awesome bands!

So anyway, if you made it this far, thank you, and I'm very exited to discover some new music!

Kind regards,

Ronnie
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 16:45
Great to have you.   Why is it called a 'recorder' ?-- I have my theories but I'd like to hear what an actual player thinks.

Welcome to PA ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Moonlighter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 16:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Why is it called a 'recorder' ?-- I have my theories but I'd like to hear what an actual player thinks.

Thanks! I have no idea, I used to play along with songs to figure out the notes a guitar was playing to write them down and replay them on a guitar, so maybe thats why? Honestly? Now idea haha.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 17:01
Hello Moonlighter.  I am also new here, and have received a warm welcome from all.  You will definitely find it a place to expand your progressive music world.  

Besides music, and outlandish instruments, I also love words and etymology, so I was able to find this explanation for why a recorder is called by this name, Atavachron.  
http://www.recorderhomepage.net/history/how-the-recorder-got-its-name/

I also have a recorder and know of a few people who play more than one at a time, which is fun to hear and watch.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 21:20
Originally posted by Moonlighter Moonlighter wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Why is it called a 'recorder' ?-- I have my theories but I'd like to hear what an actual player thinks.
Thanks! I have no idea, I used to play along with songs to figure out the notes a guitar was playing to write them down and replay them on a guitar, so maybe thats why? Honestly? Now idea haha.

Yes that's what I think:  it was indeed a way for a composer or player to 'record' the basic melodies, harmonies & rhythms that could then be transcribed and embellished .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 21:23
Thanks  Smile

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 21:25
It was just a little research, but it did take some looking.  Always good to find out how things got the way that they are...

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 18:53
I'm afraid you suffer from fickle instrument musicians disorder or FIMD.  I am sure there are some prescription drugs out there for that won't cure you but will definitely prolong your disorder.  Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 19:08
LOL

Stern Smile

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 10:52
Welcome Ronnie!

If you're looking for musical inspiration you've definitely come to the right place- its here in shedloads and shovel-full's! There are lots of really knowledgeable people so pick their brains; there are a few Grumpsters, egotists and odd-bods.. take them with a pinch of salt, they are (mostly) harmless ;)

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 16:02
Welcome Ronnie! Great to have you here.

Have you listened to any Gentle Giant or Van der Graaf Generator?

Excellent bands that don't always get the attention that the "big" prog bands get. Worth checking out if you haven't.
Songs cast a light on you
Omarm1974 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omarm1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 01:39
One of the most interesting Japanese groups is BELLAPHON. The second team, ARS NOVA, I confess honestly, struck me a lot more than BELLAPHON. Without being a particularly big fan of Keith Emerson and both of his ensembles - THE NICE and ELP - I was completely overwhelmed by hearing the music composed by ARS NOVA. First, the trio is not so common, consisting of two keyboards performers and a drummer. Sometimes I download their videos to my computer here and enjoy great music.

Edited by Omarm1974 - February 28 2019 at 01:33
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 01:49
Welcome Ronnie (AKA "Moonlighter")!

It always interests me how many classical music fans love prog and enjoy progarchives.

I was heavily exposed to jazz as a child as my grandad was a huge jazz fan, and we used to jam together on many days, with him on clarinet and me on trumpet.

I'm certain you will discover lots of great music here and many very knowledgeable people.

Welcome and enjoy!
Songs cast a light on you
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 10:03
Welcome to the club Ronnie.  Enjoy your journey through the music.

Post Reply Post Reply