Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Farewell, Farewell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farewell, Farewell.
    Posted: December 26 2018 at 06:12
Those who know me know that I'm visually impaired from macular degeneration and that has made my ability to have 'running' dialogs and discussions virtually impossible so it's with regret that I bid PA a found farewell and wish all its members good luck in the future. God knows, we all need it.

Edited by SteveG - December 26 2018 at 06:39
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 07:21
Sad to know of your impairment, Steve.

But, wait - I'm pretty sure there must surely exist one app to interact by voice with the computer so one can dictate the text and listen to the posts through the app, isn't there ?

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 07:53
Sorry to hear that Steve. I have enjoyed your posts & musical insights. Maybe you can check in with us from time to time with some assistance. Until then be well. 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 08:04
I'm sorry to hear this, Steve, I've enjoyed our Fairport musings.  I thought also of Quinino's idea of using some sort of voice app.  I know it must feel very discouraging.   Thank you for your thoughtful posts that I've seen in just my short time here.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 08:28
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

But, wait - I'm pretty sure there must surely exist one app to interact by voice with the computer so one can dictate the text and listen to the posts through the app, isn't there ?

Yes, I've used that technology for over two years but it's not fool proof as dictation is done phonetically and many embarrassing mistakes still happen. Each post still needs a proof reader but thanks for the suggestion.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 08:28
Really sad to lose a valued PA member and so sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having.

If you find a way to overcome it so you can stay on PA that would be great.

If not, then I wish you well for the future and thank you for all the posts
Songs cast a light on you
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 08:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, I've used that technology for over two years but it's not fool proof as dictation is done phonetically and many embarrassing mistakes still happen. Each post still needs a proof reader but thanks for the suggestion.

Yes. I sent a voice rec text to my sister-in-law where "as such" was recognized as "ass sex". That was a day That will live in infamy.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your MD. Your positive reinforcement in the "I like your review" thread will be missed. Best of wishes.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 08:41
So sorry to hear of your trouble. It's a real shame that you won't be participating any longer. I wish you well for the future and whatever it holds.

At least you stiill have the music...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 09:03

Don't thank me - I thank YOU for the fine input  through the years !

Cheers, be well and enjoy the music Handshake

(and come back as soon as the technology evolves in a way to permit a better interaction)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 12:24
Oh Steve I'm so sorry to hear you'll be leaving.  Seems like such a shame, and definitely a loss for the site.

I seriously hope you find a way back here, and that you not leave forever.  You make discussion very lively around here, that will be sorely missed.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 12:48
What a bummer, Steve! So sorry to hear about your condition and that you'll be leaving this site. Your presence has made this site better than it would be otherwise. Please find a solution for this. Hopefully the technology will improve so you can have more confidence in your voice regnition. Can't you just spell it out? Seems like less room for errors especially for words that sound similar. Do pop in for a visit now and again. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 13:57
Steve that is very sad to read. Your posts always were calming to read, especially in that horrendous steaming bowl of horse dung thread American Politics Thread, a total PA embarrassment......
I did not know of your vision problems and I hope you will be able to travel and enjoy some sights!!

Remember.......Madonna, Lady Gaga, Parliament/Funkadelic are more prog than the Beatles will ever hope to be.

Cheers my friend!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 15:43
Steve - I'm very saddened by your farewell and the reason for it. I will really miss your valued and measured musical opinions and wisdom - all of which I've enjoyed and almost all have chimed with me too. You have brought much needed quality conversation to PA (definitely required over the last few months, given some of the posts from others) and it will be a lesser place without you. Your knowledge of the Strawbs has been a joy to read, and has helped rekindle my love for them too. All the very best for the future and hopefully it is au revoir and not goodbye. Prog on.....and on.....and on....
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 16:41

Very sorry to see you go, Steve, and hope you can return soon. I would suggest that just because you can't see what you're typing, or being incapable of replying in a coherent manner isn't a handicap on this site. Some people have typed gibberish for years and remain on the forum. Mosh, for example.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 17:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Very sorry to see you go, Steve, and hope you can return soon. I would suggest that just because you can't see what you're typing, or being incapable of replying in a coherent manner isn't a handicap on this site. Some people have typed gibberish for years and remain on the forum. Easy Money (my edit) for example.

Take care Steve, I hope you can come back.

Edited by Easy Money - December 26 2018 at 17:06
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 21:03
See you again sometime on the riverbank, comrade.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 21:31
sorry to hear this Steve.  My mother had macular degeneration as well.  She soldiered on as best she could but it definitely made things more difficult.  Wishing you best of health and happiness.  You will be missed here
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 01:13
Steve,

Just when I'm getting a chance to get to know you, off you're going...
Thank you for all your contributions.
You will be missed.

All the very best to you, grace and peace,

Jim (Cylli Kat)
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 02:03

Those who know me know that I'm visually impaired from macular degeneration and that has made my ability to have 'running' dialogs and discussions virtually impossible so it's with regret that I bid PA a found farewell and wish all its members good luck in the future. God knows, we all need it.

ahh man so sorry to hear that. I didn't know.  You will be missed. You are one the aces of the site, a true forum VIP, and were always damn good intelligent conversation. Music and otherwise.  Take care of yourself and perhaps if there is some technology or programs out there to help that you might find it and come back to us before we start dropping out ourselves.  For yeah man... good luck... we all are going to need it. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 02:04
So very sorry to hear that. Even if I am not around very often, l will miss you a lot. Hope you will find a way to stick around, though I realize it's easier said than done. In the meantime, sending you a hug and warm thoughts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>