Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NME & Melody Maker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NME & Melody Maker
    Posted: December 27 2018 at 10:11
Any value in the old  full size paper editions of NME and Melody Maker from late 80s up to mid-90s? Or should I just bin them? Having my annual end of year clear out.  
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 14:30
I've kept my old Q magazines from the 80s and 90s before the 'rock' content became miniscule! Still have all my 'Classic Rock' and 'Prog' magazines (and a number of 'Wonderous Stories' from the Classic Rock Society in Rotherham), but I wish I'd kept all my Sounds newspapers from the 70s, as they'd have been a great read now. I stuck with Melody Maker in the mid-70s, although it could be very dry at times. Never warmed to the NME and when they effectively declared war on 'prog' in 1976, I gave up on it completely.

Not sure about the value of any of your collection. I assume somewhere all the copies are on microfilm or digitised, to help authors with clippings and quotations etc. I suppose it all comes down to your available storage space.... a clean out is always good for the soul. Might need to start decluttering in the loft myself while my old knees can still get up the ladder!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 14:50
Check eBay for similar. Some of these things have a value, and even if you sold as a job lot you might make a bit of spending money.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 27 2018 at 14:51
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 14:57
^ Good idea - I would imagine front page stories are collectable for some people - such as announcements of changes in band line-ups, tours or, sadly, even deaths.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:02
Thanks. Yes, it's a space thing for me. I still have loads of music mags and books, but these old papers I don't need.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 04:46
A friend of mine runs a business selling copies of old magazines and papers. I don't know how succesful it is now but he has been doing it for quite a few years now.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 05:23
I would imagine that 60's & 70's NME and MM (for many, the only way to get informed back then) are somewhat sought-after (finding the interested person shouldn't be too hard), but not later-80's and 90's (as there were alternatives then)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 05:56
A bit of trivia for you, in 1975, Juergen Fritz put an ad in a Melody Maker mag for a replacement lead vocalist sought after for his band Triumvirat after existing lead singer Helmut Koellen quit, (Doug Fieger, later of the Knack, was lead vocalist for a very short while, but left after just a few weeks), and he got a response from British singer Barry Palmer, who mailed him a tape of himself singing a version of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed", which was Fritz's favorite song at that time, and Barry got the position! 

Edited by presdoug - December 29 2018 at 05:58
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 06:05
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

A bit of trivia for you, in 1975, Juergen Fritz put an ad in a Melody Maker mag for a replacement lead vocalist sought after for his band Triumvirat after existing lead singer Helmut Koellen quit, and he got a response from British singer Barry Palmer, who mailed him a tape of himself singing a version of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed", which was Fritz's favorite song at that time, and Barry got the position!
Melody Maker ads were a pretty big deal for rock musos looking for a job from the sixties right into the eighties. I recall a rather sarcastic reviewer when the Emerson, Lake & Powell album came out who kicked off saying: you can imagine the Melody Maker ad, ‘Middle-aged pomp rock drummer required, must have outstanding technique & willingness to tour internationally. Surname must begin with the letter P.'

Edited by Mascodagama - December 29 2018 at 06:05
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply