Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Traps Earth - What Do You Think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Traps Earth - What Do You Think?
    Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:21
Wow! I'm blown away by the album A Drop Of Light by All Traps Earth. 

There have been 15 reviews now and EVERY one of them has given the album 5 STARS!!!!

The album has skyrocketed to #12 on the top 250 even surpassing Wobbler.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this fine specimen of retro prog.

If you've heard it, do you think it deserves all the hype?

I posted a review so you know how i feel about it :)

All Traps On Earth A Drop Of Light album cover

Studio Album, released in 2018

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. All Traps on Earth (18:17)
2. Magmatic Warning (16:10)
3. Omen (13:00)
4. First Step (2:04)
5. Bortglömda Gårdar (14:01)

Total Time 63:32

Line-up / Musicians

- Miranda Brand / vocals
- Johan Brand / Mellotrons, Moog Voyager/Minitaur, organs, Fender Rhodes, clavinet, basses, Taurus bass pedals, guitar, percussion, vocals, composer, arranger, producer
- Thomas Johnson / grand piano, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, pianet, clavinet, organ, Mellotron, Moog Voyager
- Erik Hammarström / drums, snare, vibes, marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel, crotales, timpani, bass drum, wood block, tam tam, tubular bells

With:
- Phil Mercy / guitar
- Fredrik Lindborg / bass clarinet, baritone, tenor, alto & soprano saxes
- Karl Olandersson / trumpet, flugelhorn
- Magnus Båge / concert flute
- Matthias Bååth / bass & concert flutes, tenor & alto recorders

4.48 | 1893 ratings
QWR = 4.4625
Godbluff
Van Der Graaf Generator
Eclectic Prog
Studio, 1975
Shop
4.44 | 3311 ratings
QWR = 4.4307
Fragile
Yes
Symphonic Prog
Studio, 1971
Shop
4.71 | 132 ratings
QWR = 4.4197
A Drop Of Light
All Traps On Earth
Symphonic Prog
Studio, 2018
Shop

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:24
Swedish going by the names. Oddlly, I've not heard of them. I go to see a lot of retro bands over here. Do they actually do gigs though?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:54
I don't like Anglagard, but I like the Zeuhl-ish touches on All Traps. Some of the symph-ier moments I'm not as fond of, and I would like if they went even further "out," but I enjoyed it overall.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 20:41
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Swedish going by the names. Oddlly, I've not heard of them. I go to see a lot of retro bands over here. Do they actually do gigs though?

Norwegian actually so close cousins. I don't know if they play gigs but if they ever make it to California you'd better believe i'd go see them! Judging by the response of this debut album, they'll probably be doing world tours in no time Clap

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 20:42
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I don't like Anglagard, but I like the Zeuhl-ish touches on All Traps. Some of the symph-ier moments I'm not as fond of, and I would like if they went even further "out," but I enjoyed it overall.

It's contained for sure but that's ok with me. There are enough bands that REALLY go out there :) 

I enjoy some good traditional prog that plays by the established rules and this one really scratches that itch much like Wobbler did last year.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 01:23
Not sure why this is in General Music Discussions but anyway I purchased the Mp3 recently ( it's very cheap on Amazon) and was instantly blown away. I love every second of it. Not a wasted moment. Just a gorgeous slice of symph prog. Does it deserve the hype? Yes certainly and as good as Hybris if not better.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 04:21
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Norwegian actually so close cousins. 

Thanks, but neighbours will suffice ;)  I'm only a 2 hour drive from Oslo ;)  
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 04:50

I'm pretty sure the band is actually Swedish.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 28 2018 at 04:50
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 05:18
this is basically 1/3 of Anglagard, hence the similarities. Could've made my top-2018 if not for annoying vocals
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 05:25
^^They are Swedish.

Epignosis wrote in his review of Änglagård's Viljans Öga (PA's Album of the Year 2012): "Instrumentally, Anglagard should be a symphonic lover's dream, but compositionally, they are rot.". This is a good characterization. But this is a case of ädelröta: the album is actually excellent, according to my first impression after one single listen. This is Symphonic Prog in Opposition; much of the album tends towards RIO/Avant with a Zeuhlish touch now and then, thanks to the daughter of's vocals. The album may be somewhat hyped, mainly due to its Änglagård connection,  but at least it has some qualities. Not on top of my list, probably somewhere near the bottom of the top 10. It deserves some more listens anyway.

Edited by someone_else - December 28 2018 at 05:28
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 05:48
I am going through the Änglagård studio albums at the same time, and it is of equal quality and fits nicely into the same playlist.  The high quality musicianship is evident from the start.  Although, it may be higher on the all time list than it should be.  We may have more accurate lists with a 10 point rating system.

Edited by javajeff - December 28 2018 at 05:50
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 06:01
IT'S TERRIBLE...!

...that more new releases are not this good.

Absolutely fantastic and much more enjoyable than the Anglagard albums.

Edited by Tapfret - December 28 2018 at 06:06
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 06:15
Yes, thanks. I thought so. The Nordic names in the group are certainly Swedish. I just checked out some webpages and their facebook page. They are Swedish and live in Stockholm. 

"All Traps on Earth is a Swedish quartet led by Änglagård‘s Johan Brand, including two other members of the same band, Thomas Johnson and Erik Hammarström, and Johan’s daughter Miranda."

Source: https://www.progradar.org/index.php/tag/all-traps-on-earth/

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 28 2018 at 06:16
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 06:20
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

Although, it may be higher on the all time list than it should be.  We may have more accurate lists with a 10 point rating system.
To me it suggests that greater weight should be given to total number of reviews as a proxy for durability. It does seem odd that a small cluster of 100% 5 star reviews can push a new release so high.

Though I guess things will even out over time as more reviewers weigh in. It's a safe bet not everyone will give this five stars.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 28 2018 at 06:23
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 07:07
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I'm pretty sure the band is actually Swedish.

DOH! Sorry. You're all right. I mixed them up with the other band i just reviewed Ring Van Möbius.
Of course they're Swedish. They're 3/5 Anglagard!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 07:09
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

^^They are Swedish.

Epignosis wrote in his review of Änglagård's Viljans Öga (PA's Album of the Year 2012): "Instrumentally, Anglagard should be a symphonic lover's dream, but compositionally, they are rot.". This is a good characterization. But this is a case of ädelröta: the album is actually excellent, according to my first impression after one single listen. This is Symphonic Prog in Opposition; much of the album tends towards RIO/Avant with a Zeuhlish touch now and then, thanks to the daughter of's vocals. The album may be somewhat hyped, mainly due to its Änglagård connection,  but at least it has some qualities. Not on top of my list, probably somewhere near the bottom of the top 10. It deserves some more listens anyway.

Yes, great analysis. Symphonic Prog In Opposition nails it. It does seem to me like Anglagard meets Dün.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 20:22
Does anyone know if they are touring?

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 04:49
Great album. Definitely deserving 5 stars. I think it is musically richer than either Viljans Öga or Hybris though it definitely sounds like Änglagård.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 13:32
I've only heard the first song thus far but I like it a lot. Off to check out the rest of the album
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 14:47
Strangely haunting.... I understand why RIO followers like it so much. On the edge of my comfort zone, but enjoyable all the same - very classical in style, with an improvisational structure. Worth persisting with....
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>