Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Traps Earth - What Do You Think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 15:13
After listening to it on Spotify, here are my impressions:

-Definitely a challenging album - very long complex pieces. One of those albums that feels like it will require repeated listenings to get a good feel for.

-These guys (and girl) have a really enjoyable and interesting sound. I don't really like the term "retro-prog" since it has a bit of a negative connotation - although there are a lot of vintage keyboards on this, on the whole they have their own sound. Sure, every once in a while I get reminded of King Crimson or something, but it's clear to me that this isn't a "clone" band (well, except for obvious similarities to Anglagard due to shared members). The heavy use of Mellotron probably contributes to its "retro" label, although I really enjoyed how they used it in a way that sounds very "metal", as if a typical prog-metal band would do those parts on guitar. Didn't mind the vocals at all - I felt like she could have been more prominent, compositionally.

-That being said, I didn't really get the impression that each piece had its own identity. Obviously there's the little 2 minute piece vs the 10+ minute pieces, and the one song with lyrics vs the instrumentals, but it felt like each piece was more of the same. To me, this is one factor which would prevent me from giving it 5 stars - although as mentioned above, perhaps repeated listenings will help me understand the album a bit more. But I think each piece on its own (God forbid... enjoying music out of the context of a full album!) has enjoyable and redeeming qualities.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 15:48
Wonderful album, truly a modern progressive rock effort. Will be in my top 2 for 2018. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 17:13
Listened to a few songs, not my cup of tea at all, however the vocals are bloody awful.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 17:55
What an amazing one really. Shocked
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 18:24
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Listened to a few songs, not my cup of tea at all, however the vocals are bloody awful.

I think you'll find yourself in the minority with this one, my friend Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 18:47
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

What an amazing one really. Shocked

You just bumped it up to #11 on the Top 250.

It does make me wonder how in the world that could be possible.

A Drop Of Light only has 144 ratings and sits at #11.

Fragile by Yes has 3312 ratings and sits at #12.

I understand collabs and admins have stronger stars but WOW!!!! 

This is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 19:16
It'll probably make my top 10 on the year

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 29 2018 at 19:17
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 04:53
On first impression I like what I'm hearing. I'm not a big fan of Anglagard, but there's much more here in terms of atmosphere and emotion that resonates with me (whatever that tells about meCool). One major association for me is the Symphonic Pictures album of SFF. The vocals are OK and well used in my opinion, and I'm normally easily annoyed by bad vocals.

That said, although this is a very well done appealing album, it is too retro and not innovative enough for my taste to be counted among the very best, I'd probably give it a solid four stars. 

Thinking about it a bit more, I'm actually rather curious about whether...
a) with more time this will grow into something really great, in 10 years or so like an old friend I am always happy to go back to, or
b) in the long run pleasure will be affected by the impression that there's still too much showing off, complexity for complexity's sake and "we do it because we can" on this album.
I agree that the album needs far more airtime for finding this out, but will I grant it that? I can tell you in 10 years. Tongue

Edited by Lewian - December 30 2018 at 05:09
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 05:13
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Maybe. But that is irrelevant and won't change my opinion of the vocals, which completely put me off listening to any more anyway.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 07:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

On first impression I like what I'm hearing. I'm not a big fan of Anglagard, but there's much more here in terms of atmosphere and emotion that resonates with me (whatever that tells about meCool). One major association for me is the Symphonic Pictures album of SFF. The vocals are OK and well used in my opinion, and I'm normally easily annoyed by bad vocals.

That said, although this is a very well done appealing album, it is too retro and not innovative enough for my taste to be counted among the very best, I'd probably give it a solid four stars. 

Thinking about it a bit more, I'm actually rather curious about whether...
a) with more time this will grow into something really great, in 10 years or so like an old friend I am always happy to go back to, or
b) in the long run pleasure will be affected by the impression that there's still too much showing off, complexity for complexity's sake and "we do it because we can" on this album.
I agree that the album needs far more airtime for finding this out, but will I grant it that? I can tell you in 10 years. Tongue

Think I'm landing in the same spot.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 30 2018 at 07:00
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 11:18
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Definitely a challenging album - very long complex pieces. One of those albums that feels like it will require repeated listenings to get a good feel for.

I agree with this. It took a few listens for it to go from being interesting to resonating with me. And even after many listens, I still haven't fully grokked the album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 12:12
I only got it recently and if my experience with Anglagard is any guide (love/hate relationship for many years) it may take a decade before I really know what I think of it. For now it's probably in my top ten this year but not my top five. One can't fault the impeccable musicianship and beautifully constructed compositions - and as with Anglagard, I feel the players have an almost classical propriety of approach combined with the ability to strike hard but precisely like a good metal band. Much beauty but little warmth, much arse-kicking but no “rocking” (...in the right mood I don't mind this at all). And there's a core conservatism of approach that to me feels a bit limiting - the integration of zeuhl / RIO elements does not disturb this impression - let's be honest, these stylings can be used as just another flavour of retro at this point. (Aside: I always felt that Mattias was the only one who brought an element of freedom and wildness to Anglagard. Obviously he is not involved here).
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 17:01

Maybe. But that is irrelevant and won't change my opinion of the vocals, which completely put me off listening to any more anyway.  

Yeah, i know how that goes. Sometimes vocals prevent me from taking it in. I'm just saying, you're definately the only one i've heard say anything bad about this album! 

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 14:25

Yeah, i know how that goes. Sometimes vocals prevent me from taking it in. I'm just saying, you're definately the only one i've heard say anything bad about this album! 

eeeerrr....NO! Prog-Jester said this on page 1. "Could've made my top-2018 if not for annoying vocals." Smile
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 18:38
Definitely in my 2018 top 10.   I find the combination of symphonic, RIO-Avant, and Zeuhl intriguing and addictive.  I ordered physical copy.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 02 2019 at 18:45
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 21:10
I just gave the album a quick listen on YouTube to see what all the fuss has been about, and though indeed it's very good, it didn't really grab me nor made me love it. I guess I'll give it a few more listens to make up my mind if I'm still missing something and decide to buy it, but so far I definitley like Hybris much better.
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:40
While I don't think it's quite a masterpiece, it's still a great album that I've listened to quite a lot lately, and can definitely see why it's as loved as it is.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:42
Sorry guys, but this is not for me. No way!
I tried it a couple of times, but no...
Same thing stands for Wobbler's album as well....
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:43
Also, important fact is that I don't like Anglagard...
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:03
Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

While I don't think it's quite a masterpiece, it's still a great album that I've listened to quite a lot lately, and can definitely see why it's as loved as it is.

Explain what doesn't make it a masterpiece.

I think a lot of comments and reviews tend to focus on personal tastes instead of looking at the work in its own terms. I personally think this IS a masterpiece because it a flawlessly constructed symphonic prog album. Are there other albums i'd rather listen to for my own enjoyment? You bet, however that doesn't diminish from the fact that this album tackles all the prog sensibilites and complexities and adds some new elements to bring it into the modern world. For example, there are albums i consider masterpieces like Genesis' SEBTP but i rarely listen to it because it's not my favorite album to enjoy. 

Generally speaking, i go by the first definition of masterpiece and ALL TRAPS ON EARTH constructed an outstanding work on this debut. Just my take on things Wink

mas·ter·piece

(măs′tər-pēs′)
n.
1. An outstanding work of art or craft.
2. The greatest work, as of an artist. Also called masterwork.
3. Something superlative of its kind: masterpiece of political ingenuity.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12