Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filtering top 2018 by subgenre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filtering top 2018 by subgenre
    Posted: December 29 2018 at 13:51
In trying to review to make an accurate list of my top albums of 2018, I am trying to filter the results of the top albums for the year by subgenre. However everytime I try to select several different ones I always get the following error:

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80040e14'

Incorrect syntax near ','.

/top-prog-albums.asp, line 187

I can do it one sub at a time, but in the past you used to be able to do several all at once. Anyone else experience this? Is this just a feature of using this out of date software in 2018? etc questions?

Thanks. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 19:53
I have found that it can be glitchy, but I tried it just now and choosing multi-subs is working for me. See CLICK
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 15:02
^ Ahh...I see. Well I guess it's better to be buggy then broken. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 16:35
Your link works for me, but when I try it myself I keep getting that error. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 18:06
One thing for sure.  Certain subgenres had a great 2018 while others not so hot.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 06:42
While I'd like to think that 2019 will be the year of Indo-Prog/Raga Rock, that seems very unlikely. Some subgenres are pretty dead these years, whereas others get a great many albums to choose from. I don't listen to much recent Prog or other recent music, generally preferring to unearth older gems -- gems according to my tastes anyway as one person's gem can be another person's coprolite. A "coprolite" (fossilised faeces) itself can seem a gem to some and just an old worthless turd to others (to each his own her own tastes and turds).

As a general note to any looking at this topic: When highlighting particular subgenres under "Filter: By Progressive Rock Sub-Genre", one should ensure that "ALL" is not selected.

Also, I find that the search works better generally when under "Filter: Minimum Number of Ratings" I set 1 for "avg. number of ratings" and under "Filter: Minimum Average Rating Value" I also set it to 1 for "average ratings in query". And I like to set "Filter: Maximum Results" to 250. Playing around with those fields can yield better results instead of sticking with the defaults.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 15:48
Finally got this to work for me today. I guess just chock this down at another bug in the system. 
 Post Reply Post Reply