Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for strange or off-beat modern films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for strange or off-beat modern films
    Posted: December 30 2018 at 12:58
A few of the last decade or so that immediately spring to mind are:

The Lobster (also loved Yorgos Lanthimos' Dogtooth and enjoyed The Killing of a Sacred Deer very much).

The Bothersome Man:

Under the Skin:

High-Rise:

Edited by Logan - December 30 2018 at 13:00
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 12:21
Sorry if this was too vague, and perhaps I should have left the, I think, remarkable Under the Skin off the list to focus more on films of a dystopian black comedy bent, which would include films such as A Clockwork Orange, Brazil, Delicatessen, and A Boy and His Dog.

Recommendations from any era would be appreciated, and feel free to mention any films that you think would appeal to someone who is into any such films. I focused on modern originally since I have seen so many films from earlier times, and so I thought I'd be rather less likely to be familiar with ones from the past decade or so.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 12:28
^ you do realize now that I have seen that picture of Sean Connery I can never un-see it,  right? LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 12:42
^ Zardoz would be pleased. It's far too manly for some people. ;)

Edited by Logan - January 09 2019 at 12:52
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 16:45
I love the Coen Brothers movies, even the ones that are more off beat.  They have a new one that is quite an off-beat western called "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs".  I totally enjoyed it.

There was one released several years ago called "The Signal" that I got as a screener which I didn't expect a lot from, but it was free so I watched it.  Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much, but part of it was a complete surprise to me that I definitely didn't expect.  There were 3 sections to the movie, each directed by a different director.  The middle section was so violent, dark and hilarious, especially for a sci-fi/horror type movie.  I mean, how many zombie inspired movies from 2007 tells the story from the zombie's perspective (okay so they are not really zombies, but they sort of are).  Anyway, the movie is worth it just for the middle part if nothing else.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 06:19
Thanks, TCat. I also love the Coen Brothers and probably will get down to "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" today, which I've had lined up on Netflix since it became available. I started watching another the Signal at some time (a 2014 sci-fi one), but the 2007 horror one of which thou speaketh looks interesting. By the way, one of my favourite actual zombie films is The Girl With All the Gifts, and for a zombie TV series, I've often plugged Charlie Brooker's Dead Set (Big Brother meets zombies).
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 09:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thanks, TCat. I also love the Coen Brothers and probably will get down to "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" today, which I've had lined up on Netflix since it became available. I started watching another the Signal at some time (a 2014 sci-fi one), but the 2007 horror one of which thou speaketh looks interesting. By the way, one of my favourite actual zombie films is The Girl With All the Gifts, and for a zombie TV series, I've often plugged Charlie Brooker's Dead Set (Big Brother meets zombies).

Okay those sound like a couple I want to check out for sure. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:32
Ramble alert:

Hopefully if you ever catch them they will appeal. Both used to be on Netflix Canada, but "The Girl With All the Gifts" isn't there anymore. The Korean "Train to Busan: is, and that's good. "The Host" is a really good Korean monster movie with humour still on Netflix. Perhaps my absolute favourite zombie TV show has been the British "In the Flesh", which sadly was cancelled before series three. And in sort of Zombie-Related, I adore Les Revenants.

I thought of another quite modern one just now that I think would have been worth mentioning: The Japanese trilogy, 20th Century Boys. Mind you, I've never met anyone who knows it or likes it (I caught the first two on the plane when flying to Japan).

I'm into a wide variety of film, but I do like off beat ones such as Coen Brothers ones, Todd Solandz, David Cronenberg, Terry Gilliam, Jeunet et Caro, David Lynch, Lars von Trier ones, and films like Donnie Darko (which I find Black Mirror's Bandersnatch very reminiscent of in part) and films like Mr. Nobody, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, Synecdoche, New York, Oldboy (Korean), The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy etc, and stuff like Zardoz of course, of which my avatar scares some people.

Side-side Note:

It's been cool getting to know what kinds of films people like here -- I expect that I lean towards Art House films and quirky things more than most here, but I like to think of myself as open minded and willing to try a wide variety of things. It's to be expected at a music forum, but I do sometimes wish that we had more film, TV and novels discussion and deep dives here into such subjects, though I usually have a few people to rap about such stuff with. Some of us should get together, via skype or whatever, and make some podcasts.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 13:55
I have been unable to find a copy...but my friend claims that 
'Southbound' is a good strange horror film.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4935334/
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 16:53
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:41
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

^ you do realize now that I have seen that picture of Sean Connery I can never un-see it,  right? LOL

hahaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:06
^^^ Southbound looks good.

^^ I've seen Putney Swope, very different than what I was expecting originally, but a good film for sure (I like satirical films). Another classic that would fit generally is Doctor Strangelove, and Woody Allen's Sleeper for that matter.

I've finally seen "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" and liked it very much.

I'm into a wide variety of film -- I had a serious Art House cinema phase, but sci-fi/horror/fantasy is kind of my comfort food. Being off-beat, or just plain off myself, I am very into off beat ones such as Coen Brothers ones, Todd Solandz, David Cronenberg (and his son's film Antiviral) Terry Gilliam, Jeunet et Caro, David Lynch, Lars von Trier ones, and films like Donnie Darko (which I find Black Mirror's Bandersnatch very reminiscent of in part) and films like Mr. Nobody, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, Synecdoche, New York, Oldboy (Korean), The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy etc, and stuff like Zardoz of course, of which my avatar scares some people. And films like Battle Royale and Quentin Tarantino films (I really love Kill Bill). There is so much great for me stuff over the decades, but I am finding it harder to find movies that feel "fresh" to me. I've watched so much over the years....
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:26
Honestly (and this will get me hate mail for sure) I am sick of all the super hero movies.  I would rather find a great TV series like The Haunting of Hill House or Hannibal than go to the movies anymore.   There was a time when I couldn't stand to watch TV, but things have done a complete 180 for me (or 360 or wtf-ever) As far as newer movies, I usually only look for the ones that seem to be original, quirky, or done by filmmakers that I appreciate just like Logan said.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 18:56
What does a grifter, an astronaut, Walker Texas Ranger, Lens Crafters, an ice cream truck, magic and killing a man with a shoe have in common?  Perpetual Grace Ltd.
Just finished what I hope is only the first season of several seasons to come of Perpetual Grace Ltd.  What a whacky, crazy, fun, tense and well acted series.  It would do no good to explain it, you just have to see it.  It is so far out there, yet it all makes sense.  Highly recommended, but most people probably won't get it.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 19:44
I'm not that big into comic book movies either even though I have seen a few. I didn't even see the latest Avengers which set all sorts of box office records. There's a few that I thought were really good but then again I haven't seen many(my brother is the comic book geek not me).

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 06:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A few of the last decade or so that immediately spring to mind are:

The Lobster (also loved Yorgos Lanthimos' Dogtooth and enjoyed The Killing of a Sacred Deer very much).

The Bothersome Man:

Under the Skin:

High-Rise:

If you liked "Dogtooth", you might like "The Castle of Purity"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 07:29
Drømmeslottet, i have not seen it but it is famed to be wierd and unusual. Kind of like a predesessor to the Bothersome Man (Den Brysomme Mannen). I also reccomdnd Veiviseren ( Ofelas) epic sami arctic chase and hunt film with mystical undertones.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 11:21
^^ Love Dogtooth, will look for The Castle of Purity.

^ Will look into Drømmeslottet and Veiviseren.

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Honestly (and this will get me hate mail for sure) I am sick of all the super hero movies.  I would rather find a great TV series like The Haunting of Hill House or Hannibal than go to the movies anymore.   There was a time when I couldn't stand to watch TV, but things have done a complete 180 for me (or 360 or wtf-ever) As far as newer movies, I usually only look for the ones that seem to be original, quirky, or done by filmmakers that I appreciate just like Logan said.

There have been some superhero movies and shows that I've really enjoyed, but mostly I avoid them. As an offbeat superpowers show, I loved an English one called Misfits. And I enjoyed The Umbrella Academy (which features someone from Misfits). In film, I liked various graphic novel inspired ones. There's too much of it around now for my interests, and I rarely go to the cinema anymore (last time I did it was because my son wanted to see an Avengers film). I found it quite boring.

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

What does a grifter, an astronaut, Walker Texas Ranger, Lens Crafters, an ice cream truck, magic and killing a man with a shoe have in common?  Perpetual Grace Ltd.
Just finished what I hope is only the first season of several seasons to come of Perpetual Grace Ltd.  What a whacky, crazy, fun, tense and well acted series.  It would do no good to explain it, you just have to see it.  It is so far out there, yet it all makes sense.  Highly recommended, but most people probably won't get it.

That definitely looks interesting to me; I just have to find a way to see it. Some of my favourite modern series have been Fargo, Les Revenants (The Returned), Westworld, Äkta människor (Real Humans), Black Mirror, Utopia, Inside No. 9, Kingdom (gorgeous cinematography in this Korean historical fiction zombie series), The Bridge, Dead Set, Misfits, In the Flesh and Stranger Things. I need something fresh. I have been watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix. One I'm looking forward to is The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.

I mostly watch things on Netflix Canada, but I find it hard to find something that really interests me most of the time (seen some good documentary series on it, a fave being Wild Wild Country).

I definitely tend to enjoy quirky things, black comedies, unusual dramas and have long had something of an art-house bent. Where I used to live we had cinemas that played really thought-provoking and interesting films, and libraries that had huge numbers of interesting videos and DVDs from around the world. For a while I subscribed to something called Hollywood Suite, which showed many superb films, but I stopped subscribing to the service because I'd already seen so very many of them. That said, it was nice to revisit many old favourites on it such as Delicatessen and Time Bandits.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 12:28
I saw an ad for Perpetual Grace but it looked like a crime drama.....but after your comments I'll ck it out. (Epix is an xtra fee...sadly..)
I  recommend 'Preacher'....but it's also an acquired taste.
'Lodge 49' is fun in a quirky comedy manner...and 'The Rook' is a decent Brit sci-fi thing with a secret agency of mutant spies.

btw..those are all cable series...

'Identity' with John Cusack.....a strange thriller. I also liked 'The Raven' where he plays Edgar Allen Poe.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 16 2019 at 12:43
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 13:44
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>