Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborator/experts reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 08:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

And funny you single out that particular Tangent album, because it was literally the next review I planned to post (had it written for a week now), and it's up there now!

But seriously, from the Collaborator Activity point of view, (and I don't know if others share the same ideas here) it comes down to a lot of things for me personally. Pretty much a winning combination of listening to an album enough times to really get to know it (not belting out a review while I'm listening to it the first time), finding enough creative inspiration to actually get the effort of writing a few paragraphs going...

Also, it's very easy for the busier reviewers to simply...burn out. A mix of being at it too much, seeing their efforts on the front page washed away in an hour by an overexcited string of freaking Dream Theater reviews or simply hitting that dreaded `writers block' that can take a little bit of time to snap out of...lots of things that brings momentum crashing down.

I work for the Italian Prog team on the Archives here, so I feel in many ways it is my responsibility to be getting to reviews quickly of the latest Italian releases, but lately the two big suppliers of Italian albums, AMS/BTF and Black Widow Records, have put their shipping prices up to such absurd amounts (34 Euro for between 2-4 CD's?!) is such a total dealbreaker that I often have to wait (in some case many weeks or even months) until other worldwide vendors get the titles in that have much more reasonable and affordable postage costs.
In other words, albums I would like to be getting to much quicker and bringing attention to doesn't really happen as fast as I'd like, or as fast as the albums and artists deserve.

(Also, down here in Australia it's the middle of a stinking hot summer, and I don't have air conditioning, so often sitting at a computer in a heat-addled daze is the LAST thing I want to be doing! )

I for one totally appreciate the remaining collaborators.   34 Euros?  And I thought the export prices to USA were exorbitant.   I can't imagine juggling a full time job while simultaneously keeping up with all the releases,  and writing bio's and reviews.         
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 12:45
I thought anyone could put up a review...?
And imho the review by a collab/expert...(whatever an expert is btw.)..carries no more weight when I read one.
I hope the membership isn't dwindling.....but being an old guy I know all of the old stuff anyway and much of the new....though I don't actively seek out new obscure bands anymore. If someone mentions a band here...I ck it out.
But....the best way to find out is simply to find a sound clip and listen for yourself.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:03
The site has been taken over by the pan-heads...Proxy has some sublime moog solos. And not a cacophony of dying animals with stupid red indian chanting mixed in...avant garders Just dont like anything that resembles music. or music not written by stoned smack heads...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:17
^ Wow, triggered were we?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The site has been taken over by the pan-heads...Proxy has some sublime moog solos. And not a cacophony of dying animals with stupid red indian chanting mixed in...avant garders Just dont like anything that resembles music. or music not written by stoned smack heads...
Taken over? We've hardly started yet, but it's work in progress. In six months we'll have got the name changed to Pan Head Archives, purged the symph-loving collabs, and deleted the entire Neo Prog sub-genre. That's right: all the artists, all the albums, all the reviews - Neo Year Zero. Best start caching your faves now.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:28
Pan heads...?
LOL...what is that..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:41
I'd missed Barney's insightful posts.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:51

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Pan heads...?
LOL...what is that..?

I think it's a term sometimes used by the kind of paranoid people who wear tin foil hats. It's an Avant Progger conspiracy, you've got to tell them, an Avant Progger conspiracy. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 17:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Pan heads...?
LOL...what is that..?

Harley Davison's got panhead engines. Confused

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 03 2019 at 17:48
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 19:38
And just when i thought this topic was getting stale, the pan-heads take over! Shocked

Portrait of young handsome cook

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 20:18
Yes!
Let the new dawn begin!
The Pan-head age has arrived.
That's too hard to say. Let's call it the Pan-Era. Artichoke soufles and croissants for all.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 20:24
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Or alternatively the PAN-ocene epoch! 

I'm ready to be a part of the official band. Here's a video of me playing the PAN-FLUTE!!!!!!

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 20:50
^I don't know if we can pull off our stuff live. May need to just be support studio musician.

The Pan-Sessionals!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:02
I think PAN-dora's box has been opened!

The Burning Platform, the Boiled Frog and the Rusting Platform

Edited by siLLy puPPy - January 03 2019 at 21:02

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:22
Back to the OP.

I did listen to The Tangent - Proxy uninterrupted today. Some really enjoyable compositions. Way more interesting than the previous album. Unfortunately I find the vocals to be extremely awkward.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:24
In pedal-depressed panchromatic resonance
And other highly ambient domains . . .

Arf she said

Edited by Snicolette - January 03 2019 at 22:02
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:51

CJG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 01:31
Originally posted by CJG CJG wrote:

Understand and I stand corrected in my original post. Thank you for an inciteful review.Clap
Wow, what an inappropriate typo - I should have said an "insightful" review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother. MInd you the thread seems to have incited a curious debate but I meant no offence by my stupidly careless typo.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 02:13
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I did listen to The Tangent - Proxy uninterrupted today. Some really enjoyable compositions. Way more interesting than the previous album. Unfortunately I find the vocals to be extremely awkward

Yeah, Andy is not easy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 02:57
... now looking for some pan-fried pan-cakes for my pan-head ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>