Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Nuclear Missile Fired?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do You Think There'll Ever Be A Nuked Fired?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [26.32%]
5 [26.32%]
4 [21.05%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.53%]
1 [5.26%]
2 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Nuclear Missile Fired?
    Posted: January 06 2019 at 11:41
Look I even made it multiple voted!
I say... It isn't going to happen.
Not from Russia. Not from America. Not from North Korea.
It's all show and dick waving. It sells newspapers! It fills space on News broadcasts.
But it won't happen. I'm firmly in the "Without a shot even fired" camp of doom.
You might not be.
I at least give China credit for their Moon escapades. I'd rather money was spunked on that rather than weapons never fired, or put in a safe to do nothing.
Not even worried about "Dirty bombs". Considering they were all over the news in 2002... Well? We're waiting!

Besides, thanks to Chernobyl and Fukushima leaks, is there need for a nuclear conflict?
I'm saying no. It's all bluster and show.
And yourselves?
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 11:43
And apologies for this damned Tablet with its rogue "n's" on certain words to belittle my point.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:32
I think the biggest threat is accidental discharge or a rogue event, not a leadership ordered massive strike. 

My biggest fear of this variety is not nuclear, but rather some entity taking down the power grid for months or longer. I say that because I'd rather die quickly than try to survive in the aftermath of no power/heat/lights/water treatment.

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:45
Anything's possible, but can't say it's something I lose any sleep over
Songs cast a light on you
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 14:54
It won't make any difference either way for the human species as a whole.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 15:17
Big boys with toys always have to show off.....
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 23:37
Someone might get nuked. A smaller country; a good example to the proletariat and keep the unwashed in line. A country with strategic or material resources (oil, precious stones and metals) will be less likely and be an ally of someone else anyway. Most likely a non nuclear strike a full out nuke-a-thon makes things at least worse for the "victors" - economies collapse and other wars will proliferate.

Of course neutron bomb and bio chemical attacks are also possible and more easily managed especially if any resource rich country requires "control".

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:25
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Anything's possible, but can't say it's something I lose any sleep over

Exactly. Whether it happens or not, what the bloody hell can I do about it? No sense worrying about it. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:55
They exist so it's obviously possible.

Whether or not it's likely is harder to say. The world is in a more perilous state than our leaders let on (in my opinion) and tensions between the west and Russia are actually as bad as they were during the cold war, and also worringly without some of the controls that were in place back then to prevent calamity. The Middle East is in chaos (nothing new there, you could say) we have a madman in power in North Korea, and a madman in charge in the US. Europe could also be perilously close to being destablised.

Economic conditions are poor. The far right and far left are on the march and politics is increasingly polarised and divisive. Trade wars are underway and all in all the conditions are ripe for potential world war, going on past trends. The institute of atomic scientists moved the hands of the Doomsday clock to 11:58 PM last year. Who knows?

Of course, miscalculation or accident could also lead to the use of nuclear weapons.

Edited by Blacksword - January 07 2019 at 08:28
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:25
If we invest in some Ptings, they'll just eat the nuclear weapons. But then they would eat all of our power plants too and that would be the end of the Internet. I guess I'll have to amuse myself with my own farts after that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:31
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

.... and that would be the end of the Internet. .

Increasingly, I'm thinking that might not be a bad thing.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 09:05
The world is full of stupid. With more and more countries achieving nuclear capabilities, I fear one day it will happen. 

Edited by Argo2112 - January 07 2019 at 09:08
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 07:31
It's already happened.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 07:56
Mighty Mouse will save us.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:03
^No...the space aliens will save us.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 06:10
I read yesterday that the US cornered a Russian sub in 1962, not realising it had a nuclear warhead. The Russian sub was in trouble due to a failing battery and wanted to go out (literally) with a bang by firing the warhead. It required 3 officers approval to fire and fortunately one of them said no.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 19:53
nukes are a hoax
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 02:54
Lol! Yeah, I've seen the Youtube films too. Usually they come alongside all those flat Earther vids.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 03:25
I love my sh*tty life - Music makes it worthwhile (and chicks), but if the cock-heads were to nuke us, little ol’ progheads ain’t gonna stop it. Bring it on..........   
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 04:17
Smoke and mirrors.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>