Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reaction Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reaction Videos
    Posted: January 07 2019 at 08:44
Sorry if someone has already posted this topic--just haven't been able to find it.

Within the past year I've been watching a lot of music reaction videos, especially first-time reactions to progressive and prog-related tracks/performances.  Mostly these are by Millennial/Hip-hop generation-ers who are reacting to older music on their first listen, most of them with little knowledge of the music/genre(s) they're reacting to (or at least, so they claim--for some, probably not true). Pink Floyd seems to be the most popular band to react to.

A lot of these vids are not so great, either because the reactions don't seem genuine, or the listeners reactions/critiques are rather shallow.  But some are really good.  My fave so far is posted below:  A positive reaction to Rush, YYZ, with interesting commentary.  This is the first listen by these guys (George and Ryan) to Rush. I like these guys because their reactions seem genuine, and they also seem more honest in their commentary than many (and there's a lot of prog they admit they don't personally like though they may admire the musicianship on some level).

I also have a fave negative reaction vid but I'll post it later.

If you have favorite reaction videos, post them here.

Edited by zwordser - January 07 2019 at 10:20
Z
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 10:41
I don't really watch reaction videos but I've seen that one and yes those guys do seem like they are genuine in their reactions. 

Edited by Jeffro - January 07 2019 at 10:43
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 11:58
Very sympathetic guys having fun while genuinly enjoying the music... made me appreciate Rush a little more. If videos like this is the future of "reviews" I really wouldn't mind. A more conventional reviewer but I kind of like that Needle Drop-guy too. I guess he's considered kinda hipster but he's well articulated, feels genuine and open minded to me (+ likes plenty of prog).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 12:15
It reminds me of how wowed I was when I first heard YYZ and Moving Pictures generally back in high school.

I was looking for a reaction video to some of the music I most listen to. I found one for Magma's De Futura, and one for Tangerine Dream's Ricochet and a couple of Cardiacs ones, but I didn't find them interesting enough to post.

I'd like to see a Puritans React to Comus or Kids React to Shub-Niggurath.

Here's a Kids React to Rush's Tom Sawyer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDsFzsi6EFk

Not Prog, but here's a Reaction video to David Bowie's Life on Mars (language warning in effect):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tFjdyyQho

Edited by Logan - January 07 2019 at 12:24
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 12:45
You can't get properly a piece of music if you keep pausing it every 20 seconds Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 13:00
^of course its not optimal music listening but this video has a another purpose. There's a special thrill in listening to-and enjoying music you discover and love together with a friend I can relate to as well.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 07 2019 at 13:01
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 14:11
I've seen a few including the one for YYZ that is shown here. I would probably rather have them react after they have heard the whole song though instead of every twenty seconds. I understand copywrite reasons for not playing the whole thing but it's distracting. 

These guys seem genuine but they really should do their homework first. Then maybe they wouldn't make assumptions like rush were an early prog band and statements like "I can hear the early stages of prog blossoming." WTF? Confused I understand not everyone has the insight and knowledge of this genre that we do but come on! Lol.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 07 2019 at 14:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 14:32
^but they said "early/beginnings of prog metal" at an earlier stage so i just figured they messed it up a bit while they were talking.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 15:19
I’ve been watching some of these just for a laugh. Some dude called youyouyou reacts to various Metal bands. Very amusing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 20:25
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^but they said "early/beginnings of prog metal" at an earlier stage so i just figured they messed it up a bit while they were talking.

He said that before he said something about hearing the "stages of prog blossoming." However, he did sort of correct himself later saying something like some people in the comments section might know different or something to that effect. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 00:43
Well, for sure I never though of comparing YYZ with Michael Jackson's Beat It.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 05:31
I liked a lot of the WeabooReacts videos. I laugh every time he says "what the f***"
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 05:31
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

You can't get properly a piece of music if you keep pausing it every 20 seconds Confused

Spot on!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 05:34
Love this guys reaction to Dogs by Pink Floyd

That was crazy good!

He's not wrong. It is a 'crazy good' song!

Edited by Blacksword - January 08 2019 at 05:35
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 07:46
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Spot on!

Yes they should make videos where the just sit quiet, listen to the whole song and not interact with their audience. No you don't "get" it properly this way but its possible to say something about what you're listening to, what is happening, whether that works for you or not - and why (+hopefully in an interesting sort of way).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 07:51
Funny how none of these hip hop guys react to Yes. 
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 11:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Funny how none of these hip hop guys react to Yes. 

I've noticed that Yes, especially Roundabout, has been a big request for George and Ryan.  The reason they may have not done it is because of rights issues and/or getting blocked.   I've seen very few Yes (also King Crimson) reactions, probably for the same reason. 

But there are some: this one of the Yes Album is heavily edited, (but ironically, another that Weaboo did of Close to the Edge is the entire uncut album). He does full albums where he can, and lets them run all the way without stopping where he can.

I admit, I don't like Weaboo's reactions/commentary as much as George and Ryan, but at least he's one of the few that are diving heavy into the world of Classic Prog!

Edited by zwordser - January 08 2019 at 11:08
Z
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 14:17
Can't stand that song or that album for that matter. All I hear on that song is how Rush were clearly influenced by Stevie Wonder. I don't like fusion, funk or jazz, and that's what I hear in YYZ, not prog rock, and certainly not prog metal, which those two guys mentioned. Those guys are fun though. But Irritating that one kept referring to "early prog" 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 15:08
I think maybe they don't react to Yes because Yes aren't as high profile a band as Rush or Pink Floyd and haven't come across them(yet).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 08 2019 at 15:08
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 15:50
I must admit I've never watched this type of videos, but I like what they say in general. I guess I have a lot to catch up, though I don't think I'll spend a lot of time on these type of things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>