6 [27.27%]
2 [9.09%]
6 [27.27%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIO/Avant WC 2nd Round Group 6
    Posted: January 07 2019 at 17:31
Here's the last group of the second round. Top 6 and 2 highest scoring runners-up will advance.

Pick your favorite.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 17:55
probably will be finland 

these later ones are getting pretty easier compared to the earlier ones 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 18:12
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 20:03
Easy SGM, as much as the other three bands are all top notch.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 23:54
I love the Yugen album I have, but I don't think they have a chance. Love SGM. Cardiacs are just ok to me, but the albums I'm familiar with don't really feel true to the RIO/Avant sub-genre.

So SGM gets my vote.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 01:49
weakest group by far, IMHO, but the choice isn't any simpler

I went for the Hammers Of The Hell.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 02:25
Yugen are ok - I'll vote for them
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 15:44
No way I'm not voting for Cardiacs.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 15:46
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Yeah, this.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:52
SGM gets my vote.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I love the Yugen album I have, but I don't think they have a chance. Love SGM. Cardiacs are just ok to me, but the albums I'm familiar with don't really feel true to the RIO/Avant sub-genre.

So SGM gets my vote.

To me Cardiacs is more of a quirky progressive Art Rock band than Avant-Prog per se. Anyway, it’s an easy vote for Cardiacs from me.

Edited by Logan - January 10 2019 at 07:05
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 15:51
^ yeah...I certainly don't find much of anything progressive about Cardiacs. 

as my initial suspicion went...going with the finns 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:44
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Yugen are ok - I'll vote for them

I enjoy them.. so they get my vote
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 23:05
Go cardiacs!!!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Cardiacs is progressive to me. I might liken it to Gentle Giant meets post punk and music like Midnight Oil, and to me is has some similarities to bands such as VdGG. When PA still had an At Rock category, I would have thought that it would fit very comfortably there.   

I would find it impossible to listen to an album like A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window or the compilation Songs for Ships and Irons and not find it considerably progressive in the way the band builds music. Of course one can be progressive without being Prog, or Prog without truly being progressive (depending on what one means), but to me it fits both descriptors well enough.

One might consider it to be more Crossover Prog, or even Prog Related than Avant Prog or Eclectic Prog, but I have no problem putting Cardiacs under the Prog umbrella. Part of it has to do with the way they build on the music, but also there is a certain complexity and eclecticness in the tracks that makes me think of Prog. They can fit in a lot of ideas into a song.   I'm sure you must know this, but often Cardiacs is called Pronk (progressive rock meets punk) and I can hear why.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Cardiacs is progressive to me. I might liken it to Gentle Giant meets post punk and music like Midnight Oil, and to me is has some similarities to bands such as VdGG. When PA still had an At Rock category, I would have thought that it would fit very comfortably there.   

I would find it impossible to listen to an album like A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window or the compilation Songs for Ships and Irons and not find it considerably progressive in the way the band builds music. Of course one can be progressive without being Prog, or Prog without truly being progressive (depending on what one means), but to me it fits both descriptors well enough.

One might consider it to be more Crossover Prog, or even Prog Related than Avant Prog or Eclectic Prog, but I have no problem putting Cardiacs under the Prog umbrella. Part of it has to do with the way they build on the music, but also there is a certain complexity and eclecticness in the tracks that makes me think of Prog. They can fit in a lot of ideas into a song.   I'm sure you must know this, but often Cardiacs is called Pronk (progressive rock meets punk) and I can hear why.
Of course the real reason it sits in RIO/avant is that normal people can't bear it and want to tear their own heads off after 30 seconds.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 13 2019 at 11:25
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 11:56
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Of course the real reason it sits in RIO/avant is that normal people can't bear it and want to tear their own heads off after 30 seconds.

Maybe that could be fitted into the Avant Prog definition or Cardiacs bio. ;) One should never attempt to listen to Cardiacs without a protective pan on the head, which could not only help protect the brain from injury in various scenarios, but acts as a mind-protecting shield from such violent impulses. I keep a metaphorical pan on my head at all times.

Cardiacs is quirky. They have some songs, such as the somewhat minor hit "Is This the Life?" which would easily fit with general pop consumption, then others ones which drive many people nuts. It's a mixed bag of nuts, which gives them cred for the category it is in.

Edited by Logan - January 13 2019 at 11:57
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 14:10
Voted Cardiacs

Poll Closed

Cardiacs advance
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply