FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan R. Pearlman of ARP Synthesizers Dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
davedvd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davedvd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alan R. Pearlman of ARP Synthesizers Dies
    Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:53

Patrizio Fariselli (Area). I'm pretty sure that's the only synth he played back in the days, along his Rhodes electric piano.

Demetrio Stratos would play Hammond Organ parts.

Edited by davedvd - January 29 2019 at 05:01
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 08:09
Pretty sad news. I've used ARP's before (not a 2600,I hasten to add - played Odysseys before in the early 80's -  the 2600 and 2500 were a pretty interesting design. (The Odysseys were as well, as well as the ARP Axxe). 

I didn't realise how interesting they were until I started getting into how analogue synths work, but a lot of the designs employed some very unusual ideas. Rumour has it that Behringer will be bringing out a 2600 clone some time, hopefully with the 1601 sequencer, which as a personal favourite. A lot of older synths are (highly) overrated, by the 2600 is a classic. Not worth the ludicrous prices second hand ones go for now, but then again, that's very true of a lot of "vintage" gear. 

As a PS, comparing a 2600 with a lot of Moog gear makes no sense. You have a modular on one hand and a normalised synth on the other (with some limited patching abilities). Different animals. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 13 2019 at 08:13

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:55
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the ARP String Ensemble keyboard yet!!  These became very popular, as they were much lighter than the 'tron and less expensive!!  

Apparently it used a type of electronic organ with chorus, and it didn't give the lush string/brass sound of the Mellotron, but was adequate for many bands.  It also was a fixture in the evolving disco sound as I recall.  

They were fun to noodle around on! 

Actually, in the shots above the top keyboard to the left of Steve is in fact the Solina String Ensemble.
Other keys included Hammond D with full bass pedals, Clavinet, Mini Moog, RMI Electric Piano (eventually replaced with Yamaha CP-70 electric baby grand) and a Celesta.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 01:10
Great pics there with that 2600 !
Indeed we had not mentioned the String Ensemble, the most successful of the string machines.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 22:57
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the ARP String Ensemble keyboard yet!!  These became very popular, as they were much lighter than the 'tron and less expensive!!  

Apparently it used a type of electronic organ with chorus, and it didn't give the lush string/brass sound of the Mellotron, but was adequate for many bands.  It also was a fixture in the evolving disco sound as I recall.  

They were fun to noodle around on! 

Edited by cstack3 - January 12 2019 at 22:59
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 22:50
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Dug out a few shots of the BUSKER set up.

In the studio^

On Stage^

On Stage^

WOW!!  Very impressive, thanks for sharing!! ClapClap
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 09:17
Dug out a few shots of the BUSKER set up.

In the studio^

On Stage^

On Stage^

Edited by JD - January 12 2019 at 09:18
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:05
Btw, was Jan Hammer playing with Al that night?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:04
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Man, you got to see Weather Report...I'm turning green.

It was freakin' amazing!!  Al Dimeola opened the show, his "Land of the Midnight Sun" had just come out!  

Concert was on Easter Sunday as I recall, April 10, 1977.  Words don't suffice.  JACO!!  JACO!! Clap

Hit me again!! Ouch
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 13:13
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Cool shot.  I don't think Banks ever toured with a 2600, but I could be wrong...anyone know for sure?  
I don't have any actual live pic but this was Banks rig in 1978: Left ARP 2600 on top of the Mellotron M400, center, the ARP keyboard on top of the Hammond T102, right a Polymoog atop a Yamaha CP70 Electric Grand Piano.

Oh ya, I recognize that shot!  Just dug out my old July '78 issue of "Contemporary Keyboard" with Tony as the cover story (and a Gary Brooker interview).  Forgot all about that interview.  I also still have the Oct '77 issue with Emo on the cover and the May/June '76 issue featuring a cool interview with Kerry Minnear.  Anyway, according to the TB interview:

Q:  How has your instrumentation changed since the Wind & Wuthering tour?
TB: I've also started using the ARP 2600 on stage, instead of the ARP Pro Soloist.  I was feeling that I couldn't go much further with the Pro Soloist.  With only 1 oscillator I was too limited in the kinds of sounds I could get.  With the 2600, in the context of the quick-change kinds of things that I do, I tend to stick with certain sounds and work around them.  I haven't got time to set up changes that are really complex.  I really have to vary things that are simple aspects of the synthesizer.

Q:  Specifically, what tone colors are you working around on the 2600?
TB:  Well, a lot of things that I have to do involve having to imitate what I used to do on the Pro Soloist.  Now, using two oscillators, I can get a much fatter sound.  I don't know.  I've never been keen on resonance 'wow' sounds.  I prefer sustained things, but there is a whole range of tones that I use.

Later TB says he had his 2600 modified:  "What's been added lets me add octaves or thirds or fifths to whatever each of the oscillators is putting out.  There's also a phase locking device that can work either between the 1st and 2nd oscillators or the 1st and 3rd, or all 3.  I've had a couple of extra low frequency oscillators added for vibrato effects, too."

Interesting to me that he replaced the Pro Soloist with a 2600.  Fatter synth solo voice for sure, but an odd choice since the 2600 had no aftertouch which he relied heavily on with the Pro Soloist.  I'm sure that's why he added the 2 LFO's for vibrato.  Unfortunately he doesn't mention how he engages them because on the Pro Soloist it was aftertouch controlled allowing him to easily play solos with vibrato one handed.  I wonder if he controlled those custom 2600 LFO's with a pedal?  Oh well, guess we'll never know LOL  

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 10 2019 at 13:15
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 13:07
The ARP-synth intro here is legendary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNkMnLD_uE
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 13:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I see no one mentioned Edgar Winter's Frankenstein or The Who's Baba O'Riley intro in conjunction with the ARP Sequencer. Two more great ARP works.
Baba O'Riley and also Won't Get Fooled Again
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 12:26

Klaus obviously toured with one, the real trick was how he kept it from falling off his synth tower Wink

And unless I'm wrong the synth on his right is an ARP Odyssey Mk II.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 12:23

Cool shot.  I don't think Banks ever toured with a 2600, but I could be wrong...anyone know for sure?  

I don't have any actual live pic but this was Banks rig in 1978: Left ARP 2600 on top of the Mellotron M400, center, the ARP keyboard on top of the Hammond T102, right a Polymoog atop a Yamaha CP70 Electric Grand Piano.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Banks with a 2600 on a Rhodes

Klaus obviously toured with one, the real trick was how he kept it from falling off his synth tower Wink

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 05:46
Victor Peraino (Arthur Brown’s Kingdom Come) did some pretty out-there stuff with his 2600 on Journey.
Colin Towns went to town (ha ha) on his 2600 on Ian Gillan Band’s outstanding Clear Air Turbulence album.
Yep, easily rivals Moogs any day.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 01:52
Banks with a 2600 on a Rhodes

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 22:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Man, you got to see Weather Report...I'm turning green.

It was freakin' amazing!!  Al Dimeola opened the show, his "Land of the Midnight Sun" had just come out!  

Concert was on Easter Sunday as I recall, April 10, 1977.  Words don't suffice.  JACO!!  JACO!! Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 17:12
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Let's not forget Robert Mason who basically glued (joking of course) two ARP 2500 together creating the “world’s first multi-voiced synthesizer.

I love Stardrive! Clap
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 17:06
The foundations of Prog continue to decay under the weight of time.
RIP.
I see no one mentioned Edgar Winter's Frankenstein or The Who's Baba O'Riley intro in conjunction with the ARP Sequencer. Two more great ARP works.

BTW, I have a 2600 Big Blue in my basement. Well used road piece from my days with BUSKER. Steve had it modified to be duo-phonic expressly for the purpose of playing the opening fanfare for ELP's Fanfare. I'd love to be able to get it reconditioned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>