Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan R. Pearlman of ARP Synthesizers Dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alan R. Pearlman of ARP Synthesizers Dies
    Posted: January 08 2019 at 16:17
It was reported today that Alan R. Pearlman, who founded the ARP Instruments company and helped popularize synthesizers in the '70s, died on Jan. 6.  He was 93.
Notable clients:
Tony Banks of Genesis
Chick Corea
Herbie Hancock
Brian Eno
Pete Townshend
Joe Zawinul of Weather Report
and many more
R.I.P.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 16:37
Big name in prog/fusion, the 'ARP' was a welcome addition to the instruments listed on an album.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 17:19
Shouldn't this be in the RIP thread?

Anyway, RIP.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 19:10
RIP. ARP was as much a force as Moog. 

Your Honor, I present Exhibit A: Cosmic Furnace (1973), which features the use of multiple Odysseys, 2500 & 2600 units, and the Soloist — plus electric and acoustic pianos, and a clavichord — and no Moog equipment whatsoever.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 21:01
^ Wow I can see why that puppy didn't sell.  Challenging even for '73.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 22:18
Cry Thanks, I hadn't heard!  Back in the day, there was quite a competition between the Moog and ARP synth platforms....I noodled around a bit on both, they were lots of fun.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 22:53
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Who says it didn't sell?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 23:32
What would Funural For a Friend sound like if not for the ARP-synth, limp.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 01:11
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Who says it didn't sell?

Who says Roger Powell's Cosmic Furnace didn't sell?  LOL  

I do.   

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 02:11

Who says it didn't sell?
Rog switched to Moog afterwards........
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 04:35
RIP, always underrated compared to Dr. Bob Moog, ARP gave them some serious competition. What would Genesis sound be like if it was not for the Pro-Soloist, 2600, Quadra and other APR stuff...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 06:14
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

It was reported today that Alan R. Pearlman, who founded the ARP Instruments company and helped popularize synthesizers in the '70s, died on Jan. 6.  He was 93.
Notable clients:
Tony Banks of Genesis
Chick Corea
Herbie Hancock
Brian Eno
Pete Townshend
Joe Zawinul of Weather Report
and many more
R.I.P.

I would think that Klaus Schulze would be one of the first mentioned. He had several ARP units with him for a long time. AND .... HE DID NOT PLAY THEM JUST FOR A SOLO EITHER!

Edited by moshkito - January 09 2019 at 06:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 08:14
Sad news. May he rest in peace.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 09:47
I saw Joe Zaiwanul of Weather Report in concert (Heavy Weather tour, with Jaco!), and he was surrounded by ARP 2600 units.  Lovely show, amazing sound.  RIP Joe.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 11:56
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

RIP, always underrated compared to Dr. Bob Moog, ARP gave them some serious competition. What would Genesis sound be like if it was not for the Pro-Soloist, 2600, Quadra and other APR stuff...

This ^

Without the Pro-Soloist, Tony's big solo's on The Cage, The Colony of Slippermen, Riding the Scree, Cinema Show, etc would have been very different.  The Pro-Soloist's huge innovation over the MiniMoog was pressure sensitive aftertouch allowing Tony to play solo's (The Cage & Slippermen used the preset called "Wire Guitar") and expressively add vibrato with one hand (the aftertouch took the place of the Moog mod wheel) while playing the backup organ parts with the other.  A few years ago I learned how to play the Cage solo with my right hand and the accompanying organ chords with my left...I gained a huge respect for just how difficult Tony's parts often were.

ARP's big downfall began in 1977 throwing all their eggs into the basket of developing the Avatar guitar synth when the technology was still at least a decade or 2 away Ouch

Anyway, RIP for one of the early synth innovators who's instruments were such a huge part of the development of prog.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 09 2019 at 12:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 13:41

Who says it didn't sell?

Who says Roger Powell's Cosmic Furnace didn't sell?  LOL  

I do.   

Well, you would be wrong. You have a copy don't you?LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 13:54
^ No but the CD is running about $100 on Amazon !
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 14:50
A bit on the Avatar guitar synth....I remember reading about them in Guitar Player magazine, and may have seen one in a record store, but that is about it.  Sadly, it sank the company. 

Check out Joe Zaiwanul in concert, surrounded by ARP equipment!  Spoiler alert: Jaco sighting!!  

Edited by cstack3 - January 09 2019 at 14:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 15:07
Man, you got to see Weather Report...I'm turning green.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 16:08

^ No but the CD is running about $100 on Amazon !
I paid 15 bucks for an LP copy signed by Roger himself. I’m not convinced it’s rare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>