Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woodstock 2019 announced

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woodstock 2019 announced
    Posted: January 10 2019 at 09:56
It has been announced that to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Woodstock a new edition will be held in 2019, August 16th to 18th, this time in Watkins Glen, New York.
No bands list yet, but the organizer says they want to really go back to the original roots of the Festival.

Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Steely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 22:31
yay
And if you can't be with the prog you love, honey, love the prog you're with.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 22:42
"With this one, we’re going back to our roots and our original intent."

Wow...then it will be a free festival with new and upcoming rock n roll bands!! I could be tempted to cross the Atlantic for something like that.

My guess though is that it will be a very expensive ticket and the overall program focuses mostly on bands made up of pensioners from waaay back.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 22:52
^ They're all dead or retired--  it'll be Santana and Bob Weir. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 22:59
Yeah I thought about that too
Santana though will be playing..I can’t imagine him NOT getting an invite...and furthermore turning it down. Anyway I’ve seen him before

Nah if this is to channel the original intent of Woodstock then it would have to start looking for bands a la King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Battles, Fleet Foxes, Bent Knee and the likes...maybe a few big ringers to lure in the crowds. Radiohead perchance?

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 18 2019 at 23:00
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 00:13
interesting 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 04:14
I’m sorry if I sounded a little sarcastic earlier on..but I basically grew up on the Woodstock flick as well as Woodstock diaries later on and have as a consequence of that build up a rather large expectation of what such an event should entail. There was a brief moment in time back then that reflected a large population of young people and their willingness to experiment and coexist with one another in this beautiful arena of music and nature. Check your egos at the door.

An event today will surely try to reenact some of the above, but I fear the last vital bit is forgotten amidst a sea of modern media, twitters, facebooks and perhaps that all too familiar addiction to “the news” and how you’re supposed to feel and who you’re supposed to sympathise with and conversely hate.

If you throw all that away and all the bs arguments and nonsense that arise from the very same...you basically end up at a very basic human level - one that is open and quite beautiful.
I’m not suggesting that ALL of Woodstock 69 consisted of this utopian vibe..but I’d like to think that many a folks left there believing in the above because they lived it - if but through a mere few days...it was not just a dream but something rather tangible and completely unlike the esoteric joke it has been reduced to by most of mainstream media.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 04:43
I’d like the Airplane, but this is impossible - let sleeping dogs lie, I say......
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 05:33
Yeah they may put all of the good intentions and effort they can, but they will miss the most important ingredient. The youth of today is nothing like the youth of '69. The social atmosphere is completely changed, and the messages brought up by the music to today's youth are completely different.
And the organisers can not replicate that, it's simply impossible.
I was also raised watching the Woodstock flick, the Isle of Wight, the Hendrix films and all those late 60's stuff and it was all really magical.
I can not imagine my 17 year old nephew girls rolling their titties on the mud, their smartphone and their go-pro might break down with all that mud, a catastrophe!! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 06:12
I wouldn’t sell the youth short. It’s just that youth culture has been splintered into so many fractions all in the name of being ‘unique’ and ‘one of a kind’ on a planet that enhabits 7,5 billion people. In music it means hundreds of different scenes almost resembling your old local football team in that the mentality surrounding them is that of near hostility to everything else that isn’t it
Instead of opening up to the vastness of the evergrowing music tree they zone in on a particular branch and insist on it. ‘That upper branch is just a complete load of horse manure! It’s not even music..’ and so it goes (mostly).
Back then music culture, both financially and artistically, was still in it’s infancy - meaning more freedom in both arenas...which also is why so many artists were screwed...but with a little success under their belts they were free to do what they wanted to. Something we still enjoy the fruits of today.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 19 2019 at 06:13

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 06:54
We shall see.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I wouldn’t sell the youth short. It’s just that youth culture has been splintered into so many fractions all in the name of being ‘unique’ and ‘one of a kind’ on a planet that enhabits 7,5 billion people. In music it means hundreds of different scenes almost resembling your old local football team in that the mentality surrounding them is that of near hostility to everything else that isn’t it
Instead of opening up to the vastness of the evergrowing music tree they zone in on a particular branch and insist on it. ‘That upper branch is just a complete load of horse manure! It’s not even music..’ and so it goes (mostly).
Back then music culture, both financially and artistically, was still in it’s infancy - meaning more freedom in both arenas...which also is why so many artists were screwed...but with a little success under their belts they were free to do what they wanted to. Something we still enjoy the fruits of today.

We were richer when we were poorer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 12:45
Hi,

I have mixed feelings about this ... I would never want to take away some of the music from this generation (as long as it is not too much rap!), but what happened then, was not a festival about just the music, it was a scene about the war and many other political things, most of which in this day and age, no one gives a merde about at all, because they like their favorite song better!

To make the effort to bring back some of the old folks is really sad for me, since most of them are way too old to even stand up on a stage now, and more than likely are not even capable of playing like they did way back when. 

All in all, this is likely to come off as a cheesy and poor festival with half assed music and over rated folks, and all that is missing is adding Miley, Taylor and any of the other women that go on stage almost undressed. 

Saddest of all, the many experimental things that the original Woodstock had, are totally forgotten and left behind, and I doubt that the show today can afford to place/pay artists that do not draw the public in so that a few folks can make a lot of money and many artists get completely underpaid ... not my idea of fairness all around.

If it can make it with many of the good/great bands of today, this could be interesting, but I doubt that good bands will bother coming around, as the logistics and the setup is not favorable to bands with special material and lighting for the evening shows. 

One last thing ... there are no Michael Wadleigh's around that can film something like this and make it an even bigger even than it was with its presence. Most of it would be lost on over exposed "stars" that don't bring any music worth while to the stage to honor this event. And Martin already was a part of the original, and I doubt that he wants to lug a camera at his age on this event, to catch moments that have become universal from the original film that helped so many bands get even bigger after it. I sincerely doubt that this event has the ability to help any artist whatsoever, since the artists they will be looking for are folks that have a name already, where in this days, half the bands were on radio in some parts of the country but not the other, and the mixture of the two helped make it a great event.

All it tells us is that those days were full of magic, and today, there is none ... if there were any, there would be no need to commemorate the 50 years, or at least if it were doing so it would be to honor those days with new music ... not the same old song!

I'm tired of the same old song ... stick up for the new stuff ... and this show and place will not do so!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 14:22
The original Woodstock wasn't held at Woodstock or Watkins Glen. It was held in a small town called Bethel New York. If they really want to go back to the roots they'll have it at Bethel. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 19 2019 at 18:03
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 17:28
Woodstock was a one-time event that captured a particular era, both historically and musically. You can't replicate something like that. It's like a bad movie sequel.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 18:04
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Woodstock was a one-time event that captured a particular era, both historically and musically. You can't replicate something like that. It's like a bad movie sequel.

Too late now. There's already been a few Woodstock "sequels."
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 18:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Too late now. There's already been a few Woodstock "sequels."

They also made 50 Halloween movies.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 22:18
Wonder if there'll be a 50th of Altamont...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 07:22
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Some of the folks on stage, that even got their faces socked ... are not with us anymore.

I would think that it would be a bit hard to do this, and the memories are like curses about it all.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 11:28
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

My cousin was a hells angel pledge at Altamont and once told me a little about his day.  On the Rolling Stones 'Gimme Shelter' film, there's a quick clip of a bus with a sign hanging out the window reading, "Hells Angels Frisco".  That's where he and all the pledges were told to hang out until the full patch members needed their help.  That's all my cousin told me and never said if he was called off the bus to help or not...

A 50th Altamont?  Never happen and for good reason.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 20 2019 at 11:29
 Post Reply Post Reply